Author

Topic: BitBay OFFICIAL BITBAY Thread Smart Contracts Decentralized Markets Rolling Peg - page 378. (Read 541841 times)

Activity: 120
Merit: 10
what happend to the website?
Activity: 760
Merit: 500
CryptoZilla
grrr doing another 2BTC Cool
someone stop me
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
Allergic to false promises
the twitter and w/site links at Google+ redirecting to old twitter acc and BitBay.org.
Changed the twitter link. The bitbay.org link is on the FB page btw.
Thanks for mentioning it.
Activity: 449
Merit: 250
don t touch my Bits
Activity: 155
Merit: 11
https://bitbay.market
We will rebrand bitbay logo and design later.

Thanks for your support.
legendary
Activity: 2412
Merit: 1044
Hey guys I see the feedback. I wanted to clarify. Im only giving an option for anyone with a moderator key (not just myself) to be able to remove heavy drugs and contract killers. For something that is illegal in some countries and legal in others, we can let it slide. Perhaps "weed" is OK as long as its legal where its being sold and sent. So I mean its not necessary for me to be babysit it. It just gives me the option to protect my ass if i have to.

Also, its still decentralized because if I stop moderating it, then who will moderate it? I will give out the mod key to a few friends that I trust. I believe in free markets. Actually I am a cryptoanarchist. But that doesnt mean i shouldnt consider what just happened(I got sabotaged) and think "Ok, lets not let that happen again"

So yeah, its decentralized. People should be excited that finally there is a decentralized exchange and barter and employment and all the things crypto is missing. If they want drugs im sure they will reverse engineer it or go to Tor/Onion network.

And the answer to the question about spoofing IP addresses. Not only will a ban force them to use a new one but also will ban the BitBay account and Bitmessage account used with it. So they would have to make everything new again.

There isnt really a way to prevent anything on a decentralized market but it helps. Also, later i can add a second layer of trust building and whitelists if needed.
Activity: 449
Merit: 250
don t touch my Bits
what is Bay site to follow?
Activity: 232
Merit: 100
Since we will all have decentralized marketplace clients on our systems, how will we find each other? How will a farmer in Armenia find me with the shovel I'm selling? Is there a decentralized directory spread across many systems? Who runs those? What part does halo play in the decentralized market? Where does it run?

That is an easy task, it Will probably make a geotarget on your ip or else system may ask for your location.
What do you say about this Zimbeck?

Regards Anoxy
Activity: 280
Merit: 102
Please don't end up with something with a touch of centralization like http://www.onewallet.io or https://brawker.com/.
I want my trading to be as decentralized as possible. I used to be a punker and anarchy is still my middle name.
And for all of you that want to know a bit about how I see the world evolving in 2015:

http://youtu.be/fhprwXxetAQ
Here's a little something to get you through till 2015
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2M4WGc9qSto
Activity: 85
Since we will all have decentralized marketplace clients on our systems, how will we find each other? How will a farmer in Armenia find me with the shovel I'm selling? Is there a decentralized directory spread across many systems? Who runs those? What part does halo play in the decentralized market? Where does it run?
Activity: 134
I used to be a punker and anarchy is still my middle name.

lol same background! Smiley

btw why not something like wikipedia, with curators that take care of preferred categories etc and those curators are changed once in a while..

idea: whenever he/she find something controversial would put it in a public list where the community would rate it to be present or not.. or votes like reddit..

all of this within the wallet
legendary
Please don't end up with something with a touch of centralization like http://www.onewallet.io or https://brawker.com/.
I want my trading to be as decentralized as possible. I used to be a punker and anarchy is still my middle name.
And for all of you that want to know a bit about how I see the world evolving in 2015:

http://youtu.be/fhprwXxetAQ
Activity: 85
Yes real world purposes this coin is different real decentralized central bank resistant  Smiley

Being bank resistant is also a problem. With coins, I am the banker. I have to keep my money safe. I can't trust it to anyone on the Internet yet. When I can trust an internet entity, they will be trustworthy because there will be regulation and penalties. Where do I store my retirement fund in bitcoin? How do I get interest on the money so it grows? Where will I get a loan to finance a mortgage?

Let me know if I'm going too far off topic.

Thanks,
DeezCoinz

No middleman if you are selling stuff in decentrilized marketplace. Everything is between seller & buyer and they can do it however they want.

Smart contract has two keys to make everything "hack proof". You can leave one key on your computer and secure another key somewhere safe or secure both key in different place..like one in your bank storage and other in your basement..so even if someone finds one key they'll have to find second key to steal your money from your wallet.

It's beautiful technology. Power given to people instead of central authority.

You're right about how you don't want to use it and lot of people might think like you..the reason being that people are so used to old stuff but as new generation comes in they would prefer using crypto over fiat and in 20 years from today crypto will become HUGE!

Bank charges ridiculous fees and then they have "minimum" amount bs. If your balance goes below that they'll start deducting fees. It's total BS and I hated it when I was kid because I had money in my account and I couldn't spend it.

There are several websites that offer you interest on your bitcoins/altcoins on yearly basis.

As they say "you can't teach old dog new tricks". Crypto adoption requires generation change and something that's hard for this generation will be preferred method for next one ..so on and so forth.

Actually as I said somewhere, I use bitcoin. I trade a couple of crypto coins. I understand. And I started working in systems in 1978, Internet 1988, web 1994 and here I am with this stuff. Sometimes your grandpa does know quite a bit of stuff Smiley Smiley My main problem right now is that I have to manage my money and it becomes tedious.
Activity: 232
I understand why David wants to filter content there's no way in hell I would want tone in his shoes as the developer of something like this. But if it's 100% decentralized he isn't liable for what happens as the code would run itself an it wouldn't originate from his server. Now filtering traffic is going to run it through a central server this making him liable for everything that is sold, to me this is a even bigger risk that just making it 100% decentralized. People will get around any type of filtering you do it will be a constant losing battle. I'm not for illegal activities or building another Silk Road that's not why I became an investor, I joined because like most of you I enjoy what freedoms I have and actively taking back my right to privacy from any government agency or corporation or entity that could issue censorship.

Been thinking and I vote +1 for this. Make it decentralized, without any kind of centralization implemented.

Keep up the good work David.
regards Anoxy
Activity: 280
Merit: 102
I understand why David wants to filter content there's no way in hell I would want tone in his shoes as the developer of something like this. But if it's 100% decentralized he isn't liable for what happens as the code would run itself an it wouldn't originate from his server. Now filtering traffic is going to run it through a central server this making him liable for everything that is sold, to me this is a even bigger risk that just making it 100% decentralized. People will get around any type of filtering you do it will be a constant losing battle. I'm not for illegal activities or building another Silk Road that's not why I became an investor, I joined because like most of you I enjoy what freedoms I have and actively taking back my right to privacy from any government agency or corporation or entity that could issue censorship.
RJF
Activity: 616
Online since '89...
I see what you guys are saying about vein able to ban ip's etc but this way is not trust less right? It's still would be under your control to ban or penalize anyone u want for any reason you want. I'm not saying you would I'm just saying this doesn't take trust out of it. And how would u know if someone is selling something illegal, they could just say it's whatever they want n if the other party knows what the code words are there's no way to monitor it. I mean building a decentralized market is biting off a huge chunk of the unknown. 

I think any kind of control is doomed to failure eventually, why control it at all? It's not the software that's breaking the law, its the user as has been demonstrated many times in the past. I say code it without the IP filter and lets get it released and you can reevaluate in the future. Perhaps another method will become available in time...
Activity: 182
Hey guys, I wanted to hop in here and thank you for your support. I'm honored that you guys take an interest in smart contracts tech and are able to stand your ground with me.

With that said I had a question. Its a controversial idea but I'm actually liking it.

So here is the question. My original flow chart for markets I was going to get people into a whitelist by channeling their traffic through my server so we could grant access to decentralized markets based on good behavior.

But this model means that it still relies on a centralized server. It means babysitting it and doesnt actually show to be a scalable model for other businesses.

In fact, the only advantage I could see was speed. So, I'm wondering why add that layer first. Best to go straight to the decentralized layer, hit my milestone faster and find another method of moderating drugs/contraband that is more powerful. Trust building and ratings can still be added of course.

You see guys, I learned from this project that I clearly have people who dont want me to succeed(this also means I'm doing something right). The entire project was created by some agenda/etc to sabotage destructive tech IMHO.

All things considered, this means a decentralized market (if done incorrectly) gives them more ammunition to attack if there isnt a great moderation layer. I've got to protect my ass and also deliver a wonderful product. But the server layer seems like I'm heading east when I want to go west.

SO, my controversial idea was, to simply require that users put their IP address inside the order that goes to market. it can be encrypted so only Halo can see it. But what it does is gives me a log of all the IPs to deter people from posting illegal contraband. This isnt any different from how a website would work. When you log into a site, send an email, do anything on the internet your IP is revealed. So my question is, if it really is going to be legal things we are selling... why hide it? The biggest advantage of decentralized markets is there is no central server, its decentralized. So anyone in the world gets "free hosting" in a way. If the world ended the markets would still work. Additionally, I can make it so my server can in real time flag illegal orders in addition to being able to flag them in a decentralized way.

I can still build whitelists on top of that later to increase speed but im not sure its required to demo the markets. Also, having a decentralized kill switch and a system where users can flag orders is still highly attractive to me.

This was my recent thoughts. I really want to open up markets to the real world and give them a reason to think crypto isnt just a bunch of scams and criminals. (ironic considering how things started off on a bad foot but its nothing we cant bounce back from the brand is strong and if we get our two major features we can certainly be a contender)

Please let me know your thoughts on these ideas. I'm starting the coding now for a big Halo release(with pay to email) and these markets and felt some positive feedback and constructive criticism/brainstorming was in order.

Man, I've been thinking about this since you posted it.

A part of me agrees with Kevinrasf that we should proceed like this since all the crooks will be scared to go flahing their IP around.
But, I also agree with amytheplanarshift that people could just easily spoof IP addresses.
And VampiricElder makes a good point that this idea would be favorable to the media and general public.
But.... Cryptosis also makes a good point that this is not a trustless solution.

Definitely a tough decision.
One that should not be made in haste.
While I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the options, I do want to thank David for asking the community opinion.
Much respect.
-spooky

Activity: 1540
The statement "if you aren't doing anything illegal or have nothin to hide then u won't mind exposing your ip" is completely irrelevant not to mention wrong. There are lots of people who have nothin to hide but still want to exercise their right for privacy. That's what the core of the crypto movement is about and there's nothing wrong with that. There is no way to prevent or govern others from engaging in illegal activities but that does not mean you hold everyone accountable. I understand why you would want to try and filter illegal stuff from the market but it's impossible. Something's are legal some places and not others. Who's to say what constitutes as an illegal purchase? I just think it's going a little to far as they are not going to use words like weed for selling weed anyways. It would be a constant losing battle and suck up all your resources trying to fight it. The whole point of a decentralized market is to stop censorship of purchases no matter who the censor is. I just don't see how this approach is going to work without bogging you down.

When shit goes down..Feds are not going to look for buyers or sellers..they're going to knock on David's door since he created the marketplace.  Grin

He has to protect it in any way he can to keep people from posting illegal stuff online. Yes..some people might not like it but it has to be done if you want to see this marketplace for long term or we're just trying to create silkroad 3.0  Grin
legendary
The statement "if you aren't doing anything illegal or have nothin to hide then u won't mind exposing your ip" is completely irrelevant not to mention wrong. There are lots of people who have nothin to hide but still want to exercise their right for privacy. That's what the core of the crypto movement is about and there's nothing wrong with that. There is no way to prevent or govern others from engaging in illegal activities but that does not mean you hold everyone accountable. I understand why you would want to try and filter illegal stuff from the market but it's impossible. Something's are legal some places and not others. Who's to say what constitutes as an illegal purchase? I just think it's going a little to far as they are not going to use words like weed for selling weed anyways. It would be a constant losing battle and suck up all your resources trying to fight it. The whole point of a decentralized market is to stop censorship of purchases no matter who the censor is. I just don't see how this approach is going to work without bogging you down.

Jump to: