Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin confirmations times are taking over 4 EFFING HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - page 5. (Read 9455 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

Sorry but confirmation is what makes things rock solid.
In fact 2 confirmations minimum IMO.

Anyone working with 0 confirmations is prone to get ripped off.

Please stop spreading misinformation. 0 confirmations are ok for most things

Please keep your thoughts to your self.

0 confirmations IS NOT OK UNLESS your buying a pack of chewing gum and the shop owner don't mind loosing $1.
When you do REAL trades confirmations are crucial to the success of your trade.

Please go read some more.
Thank you  Smiley

Why would it be ok for a dollar transaction but not larger ones? If it's a problem then it's a problem. Once the payment has been sent and the seller gets acknowledgement of that then it's as good as confirmed, but shops will use payment processors most likely. You can do a 'chargeback' or the card could be stolen and payment processors protect against this.

Personally I think that ALL transactions should have atleast 1 confirmation, but when you work in a place selling, I don't know, chewing gum, you wouldn't worry about it that much.
BUT, if you sold house appliances or video games, you would definetly wait for the confirmations.

Or, like anywhere else, you use a third party that handles that trust for you.

Right, like Coinbase and Cirlce right?

What about my private keys?

Oh wait, they don't exist with a third party service....

Most merchants use BitPay. BitPay handles transactions just like Visa handles transactions.

It also handles my privates keys - which I have no access to - right?

BitPay does not hold the private keys of the buyer. It converts bitcoins to fiat for the merchant.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Enough with this thread - I have to go

FU guys (as in Fond of U  Wink ) guys.

Catch ya later aligator  Cheesy
What makes a 0 confirm unsafe ? (and no, a 51% attack is not a valid argument)

The transaction could exist just on your computer, never having made it to the blockchain for some technical reason.

You can check that in less than a second though so your point is moot.

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

You can NOT check that in a second - as Vod said that ONLY exists on YOUR COMPUTER.
Unless you have atleast 1 confirmation from ALL nodes then your transaction DIDN'T go through.

Once again, please stop and do some more reading.
Thank you for your time  Smiley

The dude actually posted a link of his transaction. A place that could be checked in less than a second. That does not exist on HIS COMPUTER.

Do some reading.

Will do.

Can I have the link you are reffering to?

http://www.google.com

You serious?
Coz you are not even funny.....

How is that a link to his transaction?

No seriously.......

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

it was posted in this thread... Huh

Thank you for clearing that.

Where does Google come in?

Coz like I said it was not even funny.

0 confirmations IS NOT OK UNLESS your buying a pack of chewing gum and the shop owner don't mind loosing $1.

Thank you  Smiley

Why would it be ok for a dollar transaction but not larger ones? If it's a problem then it's a problem. Once the payment has been sent and the seller gets acknowledgement of that then it's as good as confirmed, but shops will use payment processors most likely. You can do a 'chargeback' or the card could be stolen and payment processors protect against this.

Personally I think that ALL transactions should have atleast 1 confirmation, but when you work in a place selling, I don't know, chewing gum, you wouldn't worry about it that much.
BUT, if you sold house appliances or video games, you would definetly wait for the confirmations.

Most merchants use BitPay. BitPay handles transactions just like Visa handles transactions.

It also handles my privates keys - which I have no access to - right?
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

The transaction could exist just on your computer, never having made it to the blockchain for some technical reason.

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

You can NOT check that in a second - as Vod said that ONLY exists on YOUR COMPUTER.
Unless you have atleast 1 confirmation from ALL nodes then your transaction DIDN'T go through.

The dude actually posted a link of his transaction. A place that could be checked in less than a second. That does not exist on HIS COMPUTER.

Do some reading.

Will do.

You serious?

No seriously.......

https://blockchain.info/tx/ed451475658e223faa12782abdd73eed08e0ed7f1a34799076cefa0104662aa3

it was posted in this thread... Huh
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Thank you  Smiley

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Will do.

You serious?

No seriously.......

Thank you  Smiley

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Thank you for your time  Smiley

Do some reading.

Will do.

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Will do.

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

Thank you  Smiley

Well like I said previously that's where payment processors will come in and guarantee against any problems, but how often do double spends actually happen? How would someone wanting to buy a pack of chewing gum achieve that? They'd send the money from their phone and the shop would get acknowledgment of that on their client and then what? I'm not sure how a double spend could be achieved in this circumstance.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Thank you  Smiley

legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

Do some reading.

Thank you  Smiley

Seriously please stop.
Enough with your BS.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Over 4 hours ? That's impossible. At most, you have to wait about 1.5 hours for a confirmation.
Maybe your transaction size is very big & you only put 0.0001

It was correctly explained earlier. The previous transaction had no fee. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11209406

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

Thank you  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Use Bitcoin Core 0.10 (or another wallet with up to date transaction fee handling)

New command line options for transaction fee changes:

-txconfirmtarget=n : create transactions that have enough fees (or priority) so they are likely to begin confirmation within n blocks (default: 1). This setting is over-ridden by the -paytxfee option.
Activity: 149
Merit: 100

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Pages:
Jump to: