Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin FBI Report April 2012 - page 2. (Read 14317 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 10, 2012, 06:38:40 PM
Basically confirms what we already know:

-not really on LEO radar because "cyber criminals" are cashing huge money through webmoney and LR as usual
-some massive ebay scam in 2010 was laundered through online gold companies not bitcoin
-some other massive scam was laundered through virtual game gold not bitcoin
-any exchanger doing biz with Americans has to have a registered MSB so can get at private keys to match up xfers if they really wanted

tl;dr FBI doesn't care about bitcoin... yet

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001
May 10, 2012, 03:21:36 PM
Wired could have at least chipped in a couple coins towards the bounty if they needed a transcribed copy that bad.  Leeches I tell you.

They did better: free publicity! It's not like any of us computer nerds see their ads anyways.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
May 10, 2012, 03:12:32 PM
Wired could have at least chipped in a couple coins towards the bounty if they needed a transcribed copy that bad.  Leeches I tell you.
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 271
May 10, 2012, 02:01:42 PM
Hey, Sgt

You're published. Smiley

Charge more next time.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
May 10, 2012, 01:47:42 PM
I do think it is odd that they used mine instead of the original.  What if I HAD made a mistake somewhere in it?  Maybe they just checked it over very well.
I'm sure they did Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
May 10, 2012, 12:48:09 PM
I wonder what editor at Wired read the Transcribed Document for errors and put it up as an Original. LOL

I guess people need to do more transcribing.

Poor guy is going to get into trouble.

Oh to add some fodder: Is it:  Organized or Organised?  and how and when do you spell each? hmm...
The funniest part is they kept my awful name for the document itself... "Bitcoin-FBI.pdf".  They just added the dash in place of the space to make it web safe.  I would have at least expected them to rename it to something more official sounding.

EDIT:  Now softpedia is linking to the wired-hosted PDF.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/FBI-Concerned-About-the-Use-of-Bitcoins-for-Illicit-Activities-268664.shtml

vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 271
May 10, 2012, 12:39:04 PM
I wonder what editor at Wired read the Transcribed Document for errors and put it up as an Original. LOL

I guess people need to do more transcribing.

Poor guy is going to get into trouble.

Oh to add some fodder: Is it:  Organized or Organised?  and how and when do you spell each? hmm...
legendary
May 10, 2012, 11:50:08 AM
What if I HAD made a mistake somewhere in it?

Exactly. You could have inserted "PENIS" very faintly in the background too. (You should have).
The ultimate trollfactor...

I don't want to ruin my reputation doing something like that though.  I like to stand by the quality of my work.  Wink

I like to stand by "PENIS". In my book, that is quality of work.  Cheesy

Just playing. You should hit up Wired and make them give you credit. If you don't, we will you know...
Lol, do what you must... I am not contacting them though.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
May 10, 2012, 11:46:31 AM

Exactly. You could have inserted "PENIS" very faintly in the background too. (You should have).

I don't want to ruin my reputation doing something like that though.  I like to stand by the quality of my work.  Wink

I like to stand by "PENIS". In my book, that is quality work.  Cheesy

Just playing. You should hit up Wired and make them give you credit. If you don't, we will you know...
legendary
May 10, 2012, 11:44:13 AM

I don't want to ruin my reputation doing something like that though.  I like to stand by the quality of my work.  Wink
May 10, 2012, 11:40:52 AM

legendary
May 10, 2012, 11:30:29 AM
I'm no expert but different versions of PDF readers can do different things. I;m going to guess wired shelled out and get the good version.

Just speculation.

No it is a bit for bit copy.  It even has the same (minor) formatting errors in the exact same spots.
On edit: oops psy beat me to it.

Hey SgtSpike your famous.  How does it feel to be published by Wired. Smiley

I demand to be shown said minor formatting errors!

That said, I do not want credit for it.  It is the FBI's document, not mine.  They hold the copyright to it (if there is one?), even if I was the one who recreated it.  I got my bounty, I am happy.

I do think it is odd that they used mine instead of the original.  What if I HAD made a mistake somewhere in it?  Maybe they just checked it over very well.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas
May 10, 2012, 10:19:38 AM

True unless the leak is intentional. Smiley

LOL... mind has been fucked.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
May 10, 2012, 10:18:41 AM
Well maybe they did confirm it (i.e. call the FBI office).  Then again journalistic standards aren't that high anymore.   Could be either one.

The trained response to inquiries on a classified or confidential document is "we can neither confirm, nor deny".

But this is an Unclassified document, made to be distributed to agencies around the world also. I suppose they would have no problem confirming it as real. Maybe they would be interested how it leaked, but it's not a secret per se.
donator
Gerald Davis
May 10, 2012, 10:16:33 AM
Well maybe they did confirm it (i.e. call the FBI office).  Then again journalistic standards aren't that high anymore.   Could be either one.

The trained response to inquiries on a classified or confidential document is "we can neither confirm, nor deny".

True unless the leak is intentional. Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas
May 10, 2012, 10:01:56 AM

donator
Gerald Davis
May 10, 2012, 09:57:36 AM
May 10, 2012, 09:56:23 AM
I'm no expert but different versions of PDF readers can do different things. I;m going to guess wired shelled out and get the good version.

Just speculation.

No it is a bit for bit copy.  It even has the same (minor) formatting errors in the exact same spots.

Hey SgtSpike your famous.  How does it feel to be published by Wired. Smiley

How can they use a recreation of a document (that equally has no published sources) and base an entire article off of it? It's twice-removed from the original source and unconfirmed. Wow, just wow. (Not to mention they didn't thank SgtSpikety)
donator
Gerald Davis
May 10, 2012, 09:45:13 AM

Just speculation.

Hey SgtSpike your famous.  How does it feel to be published by Wired. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
May 10, 2012, 09:30:09 AM

Just speculation.

Look at both documents properties... GPL Ghostscript 8.63, PDFCreator 0.9.6, same creation and alteration date.
You speculate very badly, let me tell you that. Wink
Pages:
Jump to: