Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin Nation - page 6. (Read 10449 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 253
December 13, 2013, 01:29:34 AM
If i'm not mistaken, international law doesn't allow for a nation to extend (or create) it's territory in the middle of the sea by artificial means. The only alternatives would be to take possession of already existing territory, or get lucky to find a fresh volcano growing out of the surface of the sea in international waters that hasn't been claimed by anyone yet.

Though in the end, international law can be a bit flexible if you got enough political, financial and/or belic(sp?) firepower.

You are not really spreading your nation into the sea You are just claiming a nations flag as you sail into the ocean
I don't think a nation can be recognized without having a territory; not sure though.

I saw a special on TV where the went to all the little nations like that anarchy town in Denmark and Sea Land in the UK then they made their own online nation and started selling passports and citizenship
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
December 13, 2013, 01:28:03 AM
If i'm not mistaken, international law doesn't allow for a nation to extend (or create) it's territory in the middle of the sea by artificial means. The only alternatives would be to take possession of already existing territory, or get lucky to find a fresh volcano growing out of the surface of the sea in international waters that hasn't been claimed by anyone yet.

Though in the end, international law can be a bit flexible if you got enough political, financial and/or belic(sp?) firepower.

You are not really spreading your nation into the sea You are just claiming a nations flag as you sail into the ocean
I don't think a nation can be recognized without having a territory; not sure though.
December 13, 2013, 01:25:46 AM

You are not really spreading your nation into the sea You are just claiming a nations flag as you sail into the ocean You can also declare your house an embassy within the US
December 13, 2013, 01:24:30 AM

Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
December 13, 2013, 01:21:12 AM

December 13, 2013, 12:58:48 AM

December 12, 2013, 01:58:35 PM
Has anyone heard of the "Colbert Nation" I think if we started an online nation like they did in the BBC show about how easy it is to make a nation and made online citizenship... Colbert might accept a nomination once we get sizable and even just him being nominated would bring many of his viewers to the bitcoin nation.
December 12, 2013, 12:24:42 PM

I liked the blueseed idea as well, a seasteading community could be viable if the right suppliers were targeted.  Bitcoin really just needs a stable internet connection to be a viable financial hub, but trips from world port to port could also facilitate trade.  Ideally the platforms could be made of more modular parts that could connect/disconnect at will. 

I think it will work better when they have a fleet of like 10-20 because then they can have meetups that basically form a temporary land mass and they can take anything anywhere in the world and drop it off to someone in the water if needed
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
December 12, 2013, 04:04:59 AM
What are entry requirements for Somalia?

Just hire sufficient private security get some land there and settle in.

Which Somalian country? There is no unified government in Somalia. Currently it is consisted of a dozen or more "breakaway" states such as Puntland, Somaliland, Jubaland, the region under Al Shabab.etc

Also, knowledge of German language can help in some places:

http://www.thelocal.de/20100523/27373
Activity: 367
Merit: 250
Find me at Bitrated
December 12, 2013, 02:09:30 AM

I liked the blueseed idea as well, a seasteading community could be viable if the right suppliers were targeted.  Bitcoin really just needs a stable internet connection to be a viable financial hub, but trips from world port to port could also facilitate trade.  Ideally the platforms could be made of more modular parts that could connect/disconnect at will. 
December 12, 2013, 01:54:34 AM
Also this was a failed town that was basically "The red light district" and just grew and grew until it was a giant unbelievable structure that could topple at any moment
If we could use their failure to create a better plan then we could probably get something out of this

December 12, 2013, 01:52:18 AM
Also this is not bitcoin related but could be incorporated into bitcoin philosphy
Lilypad cities that turn sea water into drinking water and sunlight into energy
December 12, 2013, 01:44:38 AM

The entry requirement is to have a fast enough / heavily armed enough boat to get past all those lovely Somalian pirates that love to roam the high seas and plunder whatever they can

No they plan on having defense measures on the ship and I think they even said something about having landing pads for fighter jets
December 12, 2013, 01:43:31 AM
I have heard of a few project to this effect already Ex: BlueSeed
Activity: 518
December 12, 2013, 01:12:22 AM

The entry requirement is to have a fast enough / heavily armed enough boat to get past all those lovely Somalian pirates that love to roam the high seas and plunder whatever they can
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
December 11, 2013, 01:52:11 PM
I sort of hate to contribute to such a resoundingly stupid idea, but if you want shallow water out in the middle of the ocean, there is the Minerva Reef. 

It's long been known to sailors as a place where you can drop anchor with <20 meters of anchor chain, far from any land.  In fact a few "communities" have been attempted there, including one centered around a saloon that someone built on stilts and one that actually dredged local sand together to bring a dry surface above sea level, though none have gained any sort of permanence.

I think it was a stupid idea to use sand for such matters. Concrete blocks should do much better, piles probably being the best option...
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1129
December 11, 2013, 01:44:27 PM
I sort of hate to contribute to such a resoundingly stupid idea, but if you want shallow water out in the middle of the ocean, there is the Minerva Reef. 

It's long been known to sailors as a place where you can drop anchor with <20 meters of anchor chain, far from any land.  In fact a few "communities" have been attempted there, including one centered around a saloon that someone built on stilts and one that actually dredged local sand together to bring a dry surface above sea level, though none have gained any sort of permanence.
Activity: 728
December 11, 2013, 10:42:10 AM

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
December 11, 2013, 10:38:58 AM
As an alternative, you can drift somewhere in the international waters

This seems to be the only option. I don't think that artificial islands are economically viable, if the water depth is more than 15 meters. BTW... I am not extremely sure whether any part of the shallow ocean (<15 m depth) comes outside the EEZ of various nations.

If we are right, then all it takes is the purchase of ships and establishment of a floating colony somewhere in the open ocean under a flag of some liberal state. Or you can just buy a whole government of some of those micro-states...
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
December 11, 2013, 07:31:19 AM
As an alternative, you can drift somewhere in the international waters

This seems to be the only option. I don't think that artificial islands are economically viable, if the water depth is more than 15 meters. BTW... I am not extremely sure whether any part of the shallow ocean (<15 m depth) comes outside the EEZ of various nations.
Pages:
Jump to: