Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin press hits, notable sources - page 63. (Read 430922 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
June 22, 2011, 12:00:59 AM
I can't believe it -- why would Wikileaks not be completely behind Bitcoin?  Aren't they all about "bucking the system" and such?
And EFF, for that matter!

I came across the same article here:

http://www.bitcoin-board.com/index.php/Bitcoins-Speedy-Fall-EFF-Halts-Donations-and-Wikileaks-Cashes-Out
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
June 21, 2011, 11:55:53 PM
The Bitcoin Mess - Planet Money

Let's hope that they can successfully get BitCoins before they finish the report and declare that "BitCoin is too hard."

no problem with that, bitcoin IS too hard, it's only for the top 1% smartest people on earth.
that is almost 60 million ...   Wink
We're top 1% . God I feel bad for humanity if were all at the top 1% lol  Grin. Everyone always tells me "Brian your much smarter than anyone else I know, your on the top percentile", And I myself HATE IT, cause I don't feel like I should hold the title of the top 1-10%. I don't deserve it quite honestly, but it's just that everyone else is so stupid, that they make us geeks shine.
legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
June 21, 2011, 10:40:33 PM

Let's hope that they can successfully get BitCoins before they finish the report and declare that "BitCoin is too hard."

no problem with that, bitcoin IS too hard, it's only for the top 1% smartest people on earth.
that is almost 60 million ...   Wink
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
June 21, 2011, 05:15:06 PM

Activity: 434
Merit: 252
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 21, 2011, 03:08:01 PM

"Mt.Gov"?

This was written by someone with little or no prior exposure to Bitcoin. Tells me that was an assignment with marching orders as to tone and content.

I agree, wikileaks 'cashing out' their bitcoins doesn't mean anything. They will continue to 'cash out' bitcoin donations because they need dollars/euros or pounds to pay for whatever their expenses are. Makes sense to me. It's like saying "Guy loses faith in dollars, exchanges some for goods and services!!!1!"

Smiley good point!
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
June 21, 2011, 01:06:56 PM
Also carrotnews.com to make fun of all the stupid shills who do not even bother to check their facts. Name and shame, baby!

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 21, 2011, 01:02:57 PM

"Mt.Gov"?

This was written by someone with little or no prior exposure to Bitcoin. Tells me that was an assignment with marching orders as to tone and content.

I agree, wikileaks 'cashing out' their bitcoins doesn't mean anything. They will continue to 'cash out' bitcoin donations because they need dollars/euros or pounds to pay for whatever their expenses are. Makes sense to me. It's like saying "Guy loses faith in dollars, exchanges some for goods and services!!!1!"
We seriously need to start a bitcoin news site, and write articles about things like what you wrote above and "Drug Dealers Sell Drugs For USD".
Activity: 84
etcetera
June 21, 2011, 12:35:42 PM

"Mt.Gov"?

Activity: 100
June 21, 2011, 12:03:46 PM

Here's the actual statement from the EFF

1. We don't fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system.
2. We don't want to mislead our donors.
3. People were misconstruing our acceptance of Bitcoins as an endorsement of Bitcoin.

I guess I can understand #3, but the others...not so much.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
June 21, 2011, 10:26:18 AM

Bitcoins aren’t secure, as both the recent theft and this password problem show.

Is this dude really that stupid or just a shill? Bitcoin exchange is hacked therefore bitcoin is not secure, published it in Forbes no less.

If anything, persistent attempts, whether successful or not, to steal bitcoin demonstrates exactly the opposite i.e. that bitcoins are very valuable. Criminals do not steal worthless stuff.

I have answered him with respect and education and he has censored my comment. Amazing.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
June 21, 2011, 08:43:30 AM
Bitcoin struggles as it tries to change e-currency
The P2P online currency shirks regulation or outside influence, but security woes and an unstable worth are among its current hangups.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/bitcoin-struggles-as-it-tries-to-change-e-currency/
We're not struggling, a CURRENCY EXCHANGER is .. I wish people would stop thinking of mtgox as BITCOIN. That is simply not the truth..
Activity: 55
Merit: 55
June 20, 2011, 11:42:12 PM
Bitcoin struggles as it tries to change e-currency
The P2P online currency shirks regulation or outside influence, but security woes and an unstable worth are among its current hangups.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/bitcoin-struggles-as-it-tries-to-change-e-currency/
June 20, 2011, 10:31:04 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this just came across my news feed today, June 20th, 2011.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

JUNE 20TH, 2011       
EFF and Bitcoin
Announcement by Cindy Cohn

For several months, EFF has been following the movement around Bitcoin, an electronic payment system that touts itself as "the first decentralized digital currency." We helped inform our members about this unique project through our blog and we experimented with accepting Bitcoin donations for several months in an account that was started by others.

However, we’ve recently removed the Bitcoin donation option from the Other Ways to Help page on the EFF website, and we have decided to not accept Bitcoins. We decided on this course of action for a few reasons:

1.   We don't fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system. Bitcoin raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payments Act, tax evasion, consumer protection and money laundering, among others. And that’s just in the U.S. While EFF is often the defender of people ensnared in legal issues arising from new technologies, we try very hard to keep EFF from becoming the actual subject of those fights or issues. Since there is no caselaw on this topic, and the legal implications are still very unclear, we worry that our acceptance of Bitcoins may move us into the possible subject role.

2.   We don't want to mislead our donors. When people make a donation to a nonprofit like EFF, they expect us to use their donation to support our work. Because the legal territory around exchanging Bitcoins into cash is still uncertain, we are not comfortable spending the many Bitcoins we have accumulated. Because of this, we’re giving the Bitcoins that have been accumulated, or that may accumulate in the future, in the account set up in our name to the Bitcoin faucet, so that they can continue to circulate in the community.1

3.   People were misconstruing our acceptance of Bitcoins as an endorsement of Bitcoin. We were concerned that some people may have participated in the Bitcoin project specifically because EFF accepted Bitcoins, and perhaps they therefore believed the investment in Bitcoins was secure and risk-free. While we’ve been following the Bitcoin movement with a great degree of interest, EFF has never endorsed Bitcoin. In fact, we generally don’t endorse any type of product or service – and Bitcoin is no exception.

We appreciate the outpouring of support we have received from the Bitcoin community and we share that community's commitment to privacy and innovation. We also appreciate their frustration with the privacy problems posed by existing on-line payment systems. However, EFF will no longer be accepting or spending Bitcoins.

[1] We understand that we cannot close the account that has been set up in EFF’s name and that returning the donations to the individual donors would be complex and difficult.

I cross posted this post here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=804.msg254600#msg254600
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
June 20, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
The schiffradio podcast has a download link under "Today's Show". It's 56k mp3 but for speech that's fine.

The CNBC video is pretty good, it's fairly balanced (most use/trading in UK, huh?) and sounded positive overall. The other CNBC piece has a gem too, Gavin saying: "the nature of dealing with money is that you will deal with thieves." - out of context it sounds kinda subversive too Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
June 20, 2011, 09:24:04 PM

Edit: just listened to the full interview and Peter still doesn't quite get it.  I've no doubt this will turn a lot of smart people on to Bitcoins though, and someday Peter will come around.
Not only Peter Schiff didn't get it, Mike Malonely's  goldsilver.com doesn't get it either.

http://goldsilver.com/news/bitcoins-the-alternative-currency-joke-value-crashes-after-exchange-compromised-share/

"Value Crashes"? what crashes?

The original source wasn't overly negative, but I sense a lot of gloating from the website's editor.
Activity: 55
Merit: 55
June 20, 2011, 09:11:21 PM
Technology Review
published by MIT

An Insecure Economy Built on a Super Secure Currency
An attacker distorted the value of a bitcoin on the biggest marketplace for the currency

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/editors/26910/?ref=rss
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
June 20, 2011, 08:49:11 PM
Another Slashdot mention (with mostly doomsayers in the comment section):
http://it.slashdot.org/story/11/06/19/2125252/Bitcoin-Price-Crashes

BTW, please keep this section free of opinion pieces unless it's a few lines on a specific news link mentioned here.
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
June 20, 2011, 07:54:41 PM
http://www.schiffradio.com/

Today's guest is Donald Norman, co-founder of Bitcoin Consultancy, on why an online digital currency is the monetary system of the future.

Peter has a large following of very savvy investors and this could make a big impact.

Dang premium content. Does anybody have a link to a free version?

It's streaming on a loop for free right now, or you can click on this link:

http://www.schiffradio.com/pg/jsp/charts/audioMaster.jsp?dispid=301&pid=52763&f=NTI3NjMtdHJ1ZS0wNi8yMC8yMDEx

Edit: just listened to the full interview and Peter still doesn't quite get it.  I've no doubt this will turn a lot of smart people on to Bitcoins though, and someday Peter will come around.
Pages:
Jump to: