Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin trending down. Dogecoin trending up. - page 3. (Read 5832 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
February 17, 2014, 12:59:23 AM
I fail to see Dogecoin as a joke when it's completely kicked btc's ass as an investment since it was created. Check btc value in early Dec vs now, then Doge when it was created in Dec and now if you don't buy it.

You're seriously comparing the entire lifespan of dogecoin (2 months lol) with the performance of bitcoin in only the last two months of its 4+ years of existence? Without bitcoin dogecoin wouldn't even exist, it's just an old copy of litecoin with a meme behind it and decent marketing. Let's talk again in a year from now, I'm willing to bet that even litecoin will easily outperform dogecoin in the course of an entire year. Silly hypes never last very long, and nobody is going to take a coin like dogecoin seriously. I give dogecoin 4 more months at most until people get bored of it and it will die a slow death. Good luck with your delusions.
What's remarkable is in only 2 months (lol) dogecoin daily transactions have surpassed btc, which as been around 4+ years.
You are the delusional one if you really think bitcoin will be the top coin forever.

You neglect the content of these transactions which is the most important part of the function for which a transaction serves.

How many DOGE transactions were actually payment for labor? How about goods? Just because people throw DOGE around as a tip speaks more truth about the perception of value in Dogecoin. People hold it as worthless and as such are eager to tip it away...

How many Deutschmarks do you think were spammed around after the hyper-inflationary period of the Wiemar Republic? Do you think that the huge volume gave them some additional store of value?
I don't know what the transactions are used for and I don't care. What matters is people are paying attention to it and using it, and spreading the word. No matter how annoying it is to bitcoin snobs, this is what needs to happen on a huge scale for any crypto to ever come close to being mainstream. Marketing rule of 7 - people need to see something 7 times before it registers and all that rot.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 6403
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 11:21:04 PM
legendary
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 11:19:28 PM
I fail to see Dogecoin as a joke when it's completely kicked btc's ass as an investment since it was created. Check btc value in early Dec vs now, then Doge when it was created in Dec and now if you don't buy it.

You're seriously comparing the entire lifespan of dogecoin (2 months lol) with the performance of bitcoin in only the last two months of its 4+ years of existence? Without bitcoin dogecoin wouldn't even exist, it's just an old copy of litecoin with a meme behind it and decent marketing. Let's talk again in a year from now, I'm willing to bet that even litecoin will easily outperform dogecoin in the course of an entire year. Silly hypes never last very long, and nobody is going to take a coin like dogecoin seriously. I give dogecoin 4 more months at most until people get bored of it and it will die a slow death. Good luck with your delusions.
What's remarkable is in only 2 months (lol) dogecoin daily transactions have surpassed btc, which as been around 4+ years.
You are the delusional one if you really think bitcoin will be the top coin forever.

You neglect the content of these transactions which is the most important part of the function for which a transaction serves.

How many DOGE transactions were actually payment for labor? How about goods? Just because people throw DOGE around as a tip speaks more truth about the perception of value in Dogecoin. People hold it as worthless and as such are eager to tip it away...

How many Deutschmarks do you think were spammed around after the hyper-inflationary period of the Wiemar Republic? Do you think that the huge volume gave them some additional store of value?

It would be interesting to see how many of those transactions are payout for the miners and people rushing their coins to exchangers.
Activity: 531
Merit: 501
February 16, 2014, 11:12:30 PM
The Dogecoin co-founder has a hard on for regulation and he's somehow in talks with supposed VC people about getting them involved about doing some too secret to talk about serious business. He also thinks Bitcoiners are assholes. Very classy from the leader of the friendliest and most loved up group on the internet.

http://www.techly.com.au/2014/02/17/dogecoin-founder-turned-half-million-dollars-f/

Dogecoin founder Jackson Palmer has thrown down the gauntlet to the cryptocurrency community declaring that neither he nor his digital currency are for sale, despite huge offers of investment from Australian venture capitalists.

At an Australian meet-up on Thursday night organised via Reddit, where Dogecoin’s community was started, the Sydney-based founder told Techly he is also calling for government regulation of cryptocurrencies – a move that’s unlikely to make him any friends in the Bitcoin community.

Palmer characterised Bitcoin types as “an elitist little group you have to ask for an invite to, whereas Dogecoin is more a grassroots community thing.”

“You can go to a Bitcoin meet up and meet people who are like ‘I have 100 BitCoins, I’m a multimillionaire’,” he said.

“Dogecoin is the community’s currency, open to everyone, and that’s how I want to keep it.”
The big end of town wants in – but Palmer isn’t interested

It’s clear Palmer is totally disinterested in any short-term gain Dogecoin could afford him. A purist, he believes Dogecoin is “the internet’s currency” and end users will decide its success or failure.

In fact on Thursday, Palmer told Techly he turned down half a million dollars from two venture capitalist (VC) firms.

“I’ve been approached by VCs lately who want to cash in on this Dogecoin thing and they’re offering me what in reality is ridiculous amounts of money.

“And I’m sitting there quietly with them saying ‘I want to throw X amount of dollars at this’ and I’m like, ‘take a step back, it’s a dog on a coin’. Has the world gone mad?”

Techly can confirm Palmer met with one Australian VC firm, which shall remain nameless. A spokesperson did not discuss how much money the firm offered Palmer for Dogecoin but confirmed to Techly a meeting did indeed take place.

“The firm’s inquiries into Dogecoin are in the preliminary stage,” the spokesperson said.

Palmer claims a second meeting was held with a US firm, which has failed to return Techly’s emails for confirmation.

And if that throw down wasn’t already enough, Palmer has laid down the gauntlet to the Bitcoin community – which is fiercely anti-regulation – advocating for the Australian government (and others) to regulate and legitimise cryptocurrencies.

“I do ultimately think we need to regulate around this stuff otherwise you will not gain the trust of the average Joe who wants to put $100 into whatever digital currency they’re using.

“That said, we shouldn’t be putting all our faith in centralised institutions because that gets us to where we have landed today.

“The Canadian Government has already decided to regulate against cryptocurrencies and I think that’s absolutely awesome. The fact that a government is even talking about cryptocurrency in the first place is like, booyah. That’s a massive boon for the whole thing.”

Mr Palmer’s hope is that governments will learn about virtual currencies like Dogecoin, understand how they work and eventually see it’s a currency that is facilitating good.

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504
February 16, 2014, 11:01:52 PM

legendary
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 11:00:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that doge has a bright future , with a dev that doesn't have a clue how many coins he has created in the first place.
A clone is a clone , destined to lurk in the shadows forever.
legendary
Activity: 1414
February 16, 2014, 10:54:23 PM

legendary
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
Who is paying with DOGE for goods and what merchants accept DOGE?

I think there is a bakery and a salt shop accepting doge =)))))))))

Really?

Really Smiley
Activity: 1470
Merit: 504
February 16, 2014, 10:50:05 PM

Ask yourself this; what problem does dogecoin solve?  

Ask yourself this; what problem does Bitcoin solve that Dogecoin does not?

I'm bullish BTC long-term but I recently bought some DOGE cos I like em and think they're funny. Perhaps the joke will get old and people will walk away, but people thought Bitcoin was a joke in 2011, and it's still here. Gode also have a way stronger community than BTC, less full of trolls and jaded types. They also have a decent dev community - though not as adept as Bitcoin's.

I can answer that quickly...

Dogecoin will never be more than a joke. It was designed as a joke, launched as a joke, and based off of a joke. Bitcoin isn't a joke to me and countless others... It's actually something I feel worthwhile; something bigger than just another form of fiat. Bitcoin has the support of my core ideology.

The same psychology that drives people to Dogecoin is driving me to Bitcoin and Litecoin; unlike Dogecoin though, Bitcoin isn't just a joke... Litecoin has my attention primarily as a hedge just in case there is a flaw in Bitcoin some day; I like the scrypt mining too. Litecoin was also developed with the same ideology within its user base.

Ask anybody who suffers from the unilateral decision to empty their bank accounts or bail-in their central banks about how funny that is. This isn't a joke to people who have been under the magnifying glass...
legendary
Activity: 1120
February 16, 2014, 10:45:15 PM
Who is paying with DOGE for goods and what merchants accept DOGE?

I think there is a bakery and a salt shop accepting doge =)))))))))

Really?
Activity: 181
Merit: 104
February 16, 2014, 10:26:09 PM

Ask yourself this; what problem does Bitcoin solve that Dogecoin does not?

I'm bullish BTC long-term but I recently bought some DOGE cos I like em and think they're funny. Perhaps the joke will get old and people will walk away, but people thought Bitcoin was a joke in 2011, and it's still here. Gode also have a way stronger community than BTC, less full of trolls and jaded types. They also have a decent dev community - though not as adept as Bitcoin's.
legendary
Activity: 1512
February 16, 2014, 10:22:47 PM
He sure isn't the smartest investor in the world if he fails to see the potential of crypto currencies. I'd say he's just another old fuck who has gotten rich and takes the credit from the idiots who can't live without idols, authorities and geniuses to follow.

WB doesn't trade in currencies, it's not his gig.  It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that WB isn't interested in Bitcoin, dogecoin, etc.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
February 16, 2014, 10:20:11 PM
Dogecoin will never, EVER come even close to bitcoin in any way (price, market cap, adoption, any metric you want).  Doge coin is a joke.  Literally a joke.  100billion of them, with 5 billion more being created annually, it may continue to be used by childish meme lovers to tip each other every time they rhyme shibe with something, but other than that there is no future for it.

Mods instead of moving this to off topic it probably belongs in the trash.

You need some love.
+/u/dogetipbot 60 doge verify

BTW where am I?
legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
February 16, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
The problem with dogecoin is that it's popular because it tickled people's funny bone and became a meme.  Much popular, wow funny, very laugh.  What's to stop someone releasing an even more popular meme with cute icon tomorrow?  Nothing.  The meme chasing crowd will move onto CatCoin or whatever pops up next.  There will be no one left to pump money into dogecoin and those who hold them will dump to whoever is left willing to buy.  Much crash, wow fall, very cry.

Want to create real value for the next cryptocurrency?  Solve these three problems:

1.  Make it truly anonymous
2.  Exponential blockchain growth
3.  Long and random length confirmation times that sometimes stretch into hours, while also maintaining network security
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
February 16, 2014, 10:13:57 PM
altcoins are meant to be mined and exchanged for bitcoin so you actually get a return on your investment

hilarious if you decide to save them.  Cheesy
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Stand on the shoulders of giants
February 16, 2014, 10:07:35 PM
altscoins are really funny ... they always end up in ...

and the argumentations are even worse Grin
legendary
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 10:00:24 PM
Oh really , infinitecoin , and what's so special about this one?
Launched June 3rd, 2013 and keep getting stronger and stronger.

Wow that is very special indeed! Looks like the best investment ever.

Well , the launch date might be special , only two or three coins launched that day. Now you can count 10-20. =))))
legendary
Activity: 1246
February 16, 2014, 09:51:36 PM

Wow that is very special indeed! Looks like the best investment ever.
Activity: 344
Merit: 250
February 16, 2014, 09:48:15 PM
I'm no expert financial adviser or anything of the sort....

Why do you even bother posting financial stuff? <--retorical

I hold a stake in both bitcoin and dogecoin and it interests me.  I'm just trying offer my speculation and I knew that it wasn't going to be popular because my speculation is bitcoin is trending down.  I get the feeling from reading around here for some time that  people expect that it's going to bounce back up to the $1200 and continue on up "to the moon" as you like to say.  I just don't see it.  If Apple's stock or Google's stock or Facebook's stock isn't worth $10,000 a share I don't see any reason why bitcoin should be worth $10,000 a coin.  Wishful thinking IMO.
Bitcoin will go up, just a matter of time. Not sure why you bother with Doge.

It's been my observation that when bitcoin goes down, dogecoin goes up.  It appears investors flock to dogecoin during bitcoin drops and drive the price up only to flock back to bitcoin once the drop is over.  That was the reasoning of my thread subject.  As bitcoin continutes to decline like I think it will, dogecoin will probably end up going up.  What makes dogecoin different than the other 100 something cryptos (aside from bitcoin and litecoin) is that it is extremely popular.  Just like bitcoin bulls love positive media attention, so do other crypto bulls and dogecoin has received a lot of positive media attention.  It's certainly not on the level of bitcoin yet, but I don't see why it couldn't honestly.  It might have started as a joke, but do you think a $71 million market cap is a joke now?  It seems pretty legit to me. That's why I diversified my crypto portfolio.  Just like a savvy investor would any stock portfolio.  To me it just seems like a good idea.  Hold a little of each ya know?  
Doge will crack soon, but i do believe in Infinitecoin. Might add that to your portfolio. No pump and dumps, just steady grow.

legendary
Blackjack.fun
February 16, 2014, 09:44:45 PM
I think Mr Buffet would be the first to admit he's pretty old school. I'm not going to be taking advice on this subject at least.

He already admitted that when talking about his investments.
Pages:
Jump to: