Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoincard.org - page 6. (Read 29251 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
July 06, 2012, 07:47:06 PM
Maybe the Bitcoincard people should work with The Freedom Box Foundation - (http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/index.en.html) to have them act as gateway nodes.  I think it would fit with foundations ideology to help the bitcoin network propagate?
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
July 05, 2012, 08:15:42 PM
not sure if anyone asked, are these waterproof?
This would fit no? Cheesy
http://www.p2i.com/
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
July 05, 2012, 05:26:52 PM
not sure if anyone asked, are these waterproof?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
July 05, 2012, 01:20:16 PM
A Faraday cage only needs to be grounded when you want to use it to protect the contents from high voltage. No ground is needed for a foil wrap to reflect radio waves.

If I'm surrounded by metal that is hit by lightning, it doesn't matter if this metal is grounded or not as no matter which two points of my cage I touch these two points will never expose me to high voltage as the cage's resistance is by many magnitudes lower than my body's and thus the electrons would not want to flow through me but rather through the metal - grounded or not.

That's true, as it has much to do with 'skin effect'.  Still, that has almost zero bearing on the question of radio waves penetrating a thin metal sleave.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
July 05, 2012, 11:34:40 AM
A Faraday cage only needs to be grounded when you want to use it to protect the contents from high voltage. No ground is needed for a foil wrap to reflect radio waves.

If I'm surrounded by metal that is hit by lightning, it doesn't matter if this metal is grounded or not as no matter which two points of my cage I touch these two points will never expose me to high voltage as the cage's resistance is by many magnitudes lower than my body's and thus the electrons would not want to flow through me but rather through the metal - grounded or not.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
July 05, 2012, 10:39:13 AM

This only works to a point.  If the frequency of the device is shorter than the resonant wavelength of the foil wrapper, it can just resonate the single right through.  Unplug your microwave, put your cell phone into it, and call your cell  phone and you will see what I mean.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
July 05, 2012, 09:29:35 AM
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
July 05, 2012, 09:26:12 AM
Yeah it should have the option to turn the card off or at least the tracking off.  Yes simple cover sleeve to act as a Faraday cage would also be a good idea to protect the card.

Is a sleeve like that possible? I thought cages had to be grounded to be effective?

Nope, but that's a very common misconception.

IAMAED (I am an electronics designer)

Nope a sleeve like that is not possible...?
or
Nope cages don't have to be grounded to be effective?

Yeah he's right a Faraday cage does have to be earthed (it's a long time since I studied Tongue ) but some kind of sleeve may be possible maybe if the sleeve had a potential difference (possibly by a solar-cell and battery) it would help to block the Tx/Rx of the card (again it's a long time since I studied). 
Activity: 630
July 05, 2012, 06:07:35 AM
hehe, good point julz.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
July 05, 2012, 03:46:49 AM
Yeah it should have the option to turn the card off or at least the tracking off.  Yes simple cover sleeve to act as a Faraday cage would also be a good idea to protect the card.

Is a sleeve like that possible? I thought cages had to be grounded to be effective?

Nope a sleeve like that is not possible...?
or
Nope cages don't have to be grounded to be effective?

Activity: 630
July 05, 2012, 03:30:19 AM

I had this misconception too. So, these governments forcing their subjects to use RFID passports and ID cards are basically forcing them to give up their personal details to any random stranger with appropriate equipment that passes close by...
Isn't there anything these governments subjects may do to protect their privacy, other than not bearing such cards (what's not always an option)?
Activity: 742
July 04, 2012, 09:17:53 PM
It would be worth the ~$20 just to be able to pull it out and show people some cool future tech.

Exactly.  I expect to still use my mobile phone wallet almost all the time.  But as a showpiece of tech, this is definitely something cool to show.  I'll be getting one.
Activity: 410
July 04, 2012, 09:09:37 PM
I have a question to people who think these are a winner.

The issue seems to be a social issue not a technological one. Do people prefer a secure dedicated device over a less secure mobile phone which offers a far superior featureset?

If the secure dedicated device is as small as a credit card, why not both?

Most people currently carry around a wallet and a cell phone, adding one extra card into a wallet isn't a very high cost to incur for the potential benefits the device could provide.

Add in low cost for the device and I can't imagine why anyone would feel there is any necessity to choose one over another.

If it's as cheap as they say I'll buy at least one even if I almost never use it.  It would be worth the ~$20 just to be able to pull it out and show people some cool future tech.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
July 04, 2012, 12:18:49 PM
I wish I could buy some too. Before reading this thread, to me it looked more like a scam. Fancy video, not much info, tried to contact them - no reply, only a Bitcoin address to send the money. Once they show up here on the forum and give some real contact details, I might be interested to invest some real buck. Also, nodes at shopping malls is good idea, but what about other locations? Think cars (precicely trucks).

Have you read our blog? blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/19/our-discovery-in-vienna-the-bitcoin-card.html

Let me know if you change your mind after reading it  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150
July 04, 2012, 10:33:48 AM

rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
July 04, 2012, 09:58:03 AM

I dunno, but my US passport card came with a foil wrapper that they recommended be left on all the time while in my wallet, so presumably they know whether it should work or not.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
July 04, 2012, 08:44:38 AM

Activity: 628
Merit: 504
July 04, 2012, 08:34:38 AM
I wish I could buy some too. Before reading this thread, to me it looked more like a scam. Fancy video, not much info, tried to contact them - no reply, only a Bitcoin address to send the money. Once they show up here on the forum and give some real contact details, I might be interested to invest some real buck. Also, nodes at shopping malls is good idea, but what about other locations? Think cars (precicely trucks).
Activity: 560
July 03, 2012, 08:56:48 PM
I'm planning on pre-ordering 5-10 when they first come out.
Once I like the first batch, I'll show it off and get some people interested and try to gather some pre-orders so I can buy bulk of ~250-500.

how flexible is it?  how easy is it to break?

Activity: 695
Merit: 502
PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38
July 03, 2012, 06:22:12 PM
how flexible is it?  how easy is it to break?  water proof?  Will it Blend?
Pages:
Jump to: