Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoincard.org - page 8. (Read 29251 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
June 08, 2012, 08:45:58 AM
It's not practically possible for a disconnected device (light or otherwise) to be able to use the change from a previous transaction as an input in a new transaction because all other devices should require that the change transaction have 6 confirms or at least a copy of the block's merkle tree as evidence that it's a valid transaction and not a double spend.  Since the device is disconnected, there is no way for it to have that evidence even if some other device has already forwarded the transaction to the network on it's behalf.  In practice, such a device is going to have to keep a set of seperate transaction inputs of varied sizes in order to make multiple payments between online sessions.

Didn't understand this.
AFAICT, this device cannot validate any transaction while offline. It would be a task to the gateway.

An offline device can create and sign a transaction, it cannot validate it.  However, (in theory, don't know about this device yet) any disconnected device with local copies of it's inputs could also keep the merkle trees that show where those input transactions fit into the blockchain.  This is about as close to an offline validation as it likely possible.

And why can't a bitcoincard A send a series of linked-by-change transactions to B, and then B uploads them all to his gateway?

First the 'gateway' is just another mesh radio connected to the Internet, there is no reason to expect that the gateway itself would be a bitcoin node.  A counter-party to a change based transaction needs to be able to see that the previous transaction fits into a block, otherwise the next transaction is indistingishable from a double spend attempt.  This would be possible if the counter-party were a connected full node & the prior transaction made it back to the internet by another path,but such an event cannot be assumed.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
June 08, 2012, 08:29:40 AM
/watching
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
June 08, 2012, 04:02:30 AM
It's not practically possible for a disconnected device (light or otherwise) to be able to use the change from a previous transaction as an input in a new transaction because all other devices should require that the change transaction have 6 confirms or at least a copy of the block's merkle tree as evidence that it's a valid transaction and not a double spend.  Since the device is disconnected, there is no way for it to have that evidence even if some other device has already forwarded the transaction to the network on it's behalf.  In practice, such a device is going to have to keep a set of seperate transaction inputs of varied sizes in order to make multiple payments between online sessions.

Didn't understand this.
AFAICT, this device cannot validate any transaction while offline. It would be a task to the gateway.
And why can't a bitcoincard A send a series of linked-by-change transactions to B, and then B uploads them all to his gateway?
legendary
June 07, 2012, 10:01:17 PM
So now this uber light and slim card needs a dongle to function properly? The vapor thickens.
And the maximum range of the dongle is 100 metres according to the website. Presumably the card-to-card mesh communications will have, if anything, an even shorter range.

I suspect that I know the tech being presented here, and if I'm correct, the video is likely understating the practical ranges.  I know that I'm guilty of speculation, but I suspect that the mesh tech alluded to is dash7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DASH7

Note that Dash7 devices are inherently location aware, in a relative sense; i.e. they know where there are relative to other dash7 devices.  The customer location tracking features mentioned in the video are one of the encentives for vendors to adopt a set of 'dongles', which would (presumedly) be aware of their own positions in an absolute sense (GPS).

Also note that Dash7 devices can have theortical ranges up to 2km, which practially means about 1km; and that it's max data rate is 200kbps.  However, it cannot do both max range and max speed at the same time, so the video's downgrading of the noted ranges might be due to a concern of overpromising or it might be due to the intent of the card designers fixing the data rate at the max and otherwise living with whatever range remains.

Dash7 isn't good for data that streams or large files, but for mesh propogation of bitcoin data it's practially ideal.  Also the ISM band that DAsh7 uses (433Mhz) is a 32nd harmonic of that which NFC uses as a standard, so both techs can coexist on the same tranceiver and share much silicon, making such features cheaper to produce.
legendary
June 07, 2012, 09:47:37 PM
Question: how many p2p transactions can be stored and forwarded for later? If you aren't near a dongle, and other users are creating transactions near you, I assume that each device queues all the tx up until one of them gets near a dongle and spews the info onto the internet. Is there a practical imitation on the number of stored transactions? This assumes that it is a lightweight client, but if it is a full node that would be a bit different too.

There would be a practical limit, but it's one that's hard to predict.  It depends upon the input transactions that the device has in local storage, because it can only make transactions based upon the unspent inputs that it has since last connect.  It's not practically possible for a disconnected device (light or otherwise) to be able to use the change from a previous transaction as an input in a new transaction because all other devices should require that the change transaction have 6 confirms or at least a copy of the block's merkle tree as evidence that it's a valid transaction and not a double spend.  Since the device is disconnected, there is no way for it to have that evidence even if some other device has already forwarded the transaction to the network on it's behalf.  In practice, such a device is going to have to keep a set of seperate transaction inputs of varied sizes in order to make multiple payments between online sessions.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
June 07, 2012, 08:55:47 PM
Question: how many p2p transactions can be stored and forwarded for later? If you aren't near a dongle, and other users are creating transactions near you, I assume that each device queues all the tx up until one of them gets near a dongle and spews the info onto the internet. Is there a practical imitation on the number of stored transactions? This assumes that it is a lightweight client, but if it is a full node that would be a bit different too.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
June 07, 2012, 07:59:16 PM
So now this uber light and slim card needs a dongle to function properly? The vapor thickens.
And the maximum range of the dongle is 100 metres according to the website. Presumably the card-to-card mesh communications will have, if anything, an even shorter range. I can't imagine this working terribly well somehow. Most likely the "mesh" functionality will end up being something that looks good on the spec sheet but isn't actually practical - at least not for Bitcoin payments - and the entire thing will be dependent on the fixed access points to work properly.
I guess that would depend on population density. Though I wonder that since this is very low bandwidth communications, perhaps "dummy nodes" consisting of walletless transceivers couldn't be embedded everywhere from utility poles to business signs to mailboxes, etc.
Activity: 686
Merit: 564
June 07, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
And the maximum range of the dongle is 100 metres according to the website. Presumably the card-to-card mesh communications will have, if anything, an even shorter range. I can't imagine this working terribly well somehow. Most likely the "mesh" functionality will end up being something that looks good on the spec sheet but isn't actually practical - at least not for Bitcoin payments - and the entire thing will be dependent on the fixed access points to work properly.
donator
June 06, 2012, 08:39:22 AM
That's awesome! Will I be able to use it at Barnes and Nobles to buy Bitcoin Magazine?

Rofl. The only way you'll be using any Bitcoin enabled payment device to buy the Bitcoin Magazine in Barnes in Noble is if you're buying it off our website while simply happening to be in Barnes and Noble.
I will definitely buy your magazine when it hits the bookstores in Dallas, TX with or without Bitcoin.

I don't usually post useless and offtopic posts, but... I want one. No, actually I want 2 and I want them NOW !
Ditto!
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
June 05, 2012, 01:00:04 PM
you can receive coins too. they showed that in the video sending coins to your friend on the street.

FYI that is not a proven feature, it's a video to collect investments for development.
REF
Activity: 529
June 05, 2012, 12:46:55 PM
I dont see why anyone is complaining about not backing them up or them getting lost. They work exactly like a debit card or one of those green dot cards. You load it with as much money as you need. Every month youd put 500BTC on the card to refill it for daily use.

500 BTC is ~$2500.  If my debit card stops working I don't lose $2500 the bank just issues me a new debit card.  Your analogy doesn't make much sense.  If anything you pointed out that without backups it is NOT like a debit card.  It is more like cash and personally I don't carry around $2500 in cash for the exact reasons of loss/theft.
okay so debit card can only be lost or stolen the money can still be spent by a thief and you can hope the bank will refund you. If a green dot card is lost or stolen your completely out of luck.

this card can be lost or stolen. The only other thing you need to worry about is breaking it. I was giving 500BTC as an explain. You would only put as much on the card as you would in your wallet.

@up
you can receive coins too. they showed that in the video sending coins to your friend on the street.

ya 500BTC was a bad amount to pick I figured it would last the month and you would reload it every month but even that is a lot. 20-100BTC would of been a better amount to use.
Activity: 630
June 05, 2012, 11:25:44 AM
I dont see why anyone is complaining about not backing them up or them getting lost. They work exactly like a debit card or one of those green dot cards. You load it with as much money as you need. Every month youd put 500BTC on the card to refill it for daily use. You shouldn't be carrying around your life saving in your pocket! You dont do that with cash or your debit card now, itd be silly to do that with this device.

I just think it is a pity that it's only a device to spend coins. It's not that much better than a good smartphone app in that sense. Ok, much cooler, but functionally similar.
If it only had (1) different addresses per transactions and (2) the possibility to backup the addresses' seed, it would be more than a device to spend btcs, it would be the best device available to store all of your coins, due to its dedicated platform. The likelihood of a malware infecting this device is lower than any other solution we currently have. Add (3) hidden volumes for plausible deniability and you've got the "ultimate bitcoin wallet". Smiley

(btw, if 500BTC is your "daily use" which you can easily afford to lose, I envy you Tongue)
June 05, 2012, 09:29:21 AM
mattewN when are we getting more information about that bitdex?

After Iceland I'll be flying to the USA for the next few months to work on it there with other projects as well. The prototype is already available, we're just working out the mass manufacturing. It's basically a money issue at this point. Making something of the magnitude we're planning (50,000 units at $30 a pop) will take about $1million cold and it won't move without $100k down, not to mention the fact that $100k is easily eaten by redesigning UI, debugging, molding, plates, PCBs, etc and any mistakes at the manufacturers. Not to mention marking and advertising budgets to get it into every store in the USA as a payment device.

This shit is big, but it has to be done right. I believe wholeheartedly that Bitcoincard is being done wrong in every way (advertising, branding, marketing, funding, design, technology, infrastructure, etc). We'll gladly let the free market decide though. The kickstarter goes up soon, but everything in this post is completely unofficial and nonbinding.
That's awesome! Will I be able to use it at Barnes and Nobles to buy Bitcoin Magazine?

Rofl. The only way you'll be using any Bitcoin enabled payment device to buy the Bitcoin Magazine in Barnes in Noble is if you're buying it off our website while simply happening to be in Barnes and Noble.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
June 05, 2012, 09:25:19 AM
I dont see why anyone is complaining about not backing them up or them getting lost. They work exactly like a debit card or one of those green dot cards. You load it with as much money as you need. Every month youd put 500BTC on the card to refill it for daily use.

500 BTC is ~$2500.  If my debit card stops working I don't lose $2500 the bank just issues me a new debit card.  Your analogy doesn't make much sense.  If anything you pointed out that without backups it is NOT like a debit card.  It is more like cash and personally I don't carry around $2500 in cash for the exact reasons of loss/theft.
donator
June 05, 2012, 09:18:59 AM

After Iceland I'll be flying to the USA for the next few months to work on it there with other projects as well. The prototype is already available, we're just working out the mass manufacturing. It's basically a money issue at this point. Making something of the magnitude we're planning (50,000 units at $30 a pop) will take about $1million cold and it won't move without $100k down, not to mention the fact that $100k is easily eaten by redesigning UI, debugging, molding, plates, PCBs, etc and any mistakes at the manufacturers. Not to mention marking and advertising budgets to get it into every store in the USA as a payment device.

This shit is big, but it has to be done right. I believe wholeheartedly that Bitcoincard is being done wrong in every way (advertising, branding, marketing, funding, design, technology, infrastructure, etc). We'll gladly let the free market decide though. The kickstarter goes up soon, but everything in this post is completely unofficial and nonbinding.
June 05, 2012, 09:10:27 AM

donator
June 05, 2012, 08:54:36 AM
I am curious how this will be used for purchases without a camera.

Or a functional infrastructure i.e. way to connect to the actual blockchain.

Both functions are provided for in the same way, a 'sensor' mesh network that permits such devices to talk to each other, as well as an access point wireless dongle that permits all of these type devices to talk to the Internet at large.
That makes a lot of sense if it can talk to my Bluetooth phone with a built-in camera, smartphone, or whatever.

What makes no sense is to need to interface with your phone in the first place. It's like trying to sell a sports car that is pulled by a horse.

I didn't say anything about bluetooth.
No, the video said unlicensed radio. I do not know what that means in every country.

I have a pretty good idea, and a cell phone is unneccesary.
OK, I see it uses ISM bands. Bluetooth also uses ISM bands, so while it may not be Bluetooth, it seems to be using the same concept.
REF
Activity: 529
June 05, 2012, 08:36:28 AM
IF I could get them right now I would take 6 (maybe 15 and try to sell the idea to the rest of my family). BTW Im they posted a new video recently which demonstrated a bitcoin transaction.

I dont see why anyone is complaining about not backing them up or them getting lost. They work exactly like a debit card or one of those green dot cards. You load it with as much money as you need. Every month youd put 500BTC on the card to refill it for daily use. You shouldn't be carrying around your life saving in your pocket! You dont do that with cash or your debit card now, itd be silly to do that with this device.

PS. Im already upset that it doesnt talk to me all the time like a pokedex Sad
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
June 04, 2012, 09:21:28 PM
I don't usually post useless and offtopic posts, but... I want one. No, actually I want 2 and I want them NOW !
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
June 04, 2012, 08:32:12 PM
Not ready to make an announcement on it. All I can say is, they've got it wrong and it's sad too because (aside from the horrid menu and buttons) their vaporware video makes it look really cool and is getting a lot of people's hopes up, making it harder for us to get people to believe in an actually functional product. It's like coming out with an e-wallet service right after MyBitcoin.

And you know this, how?

When we're ready to make an announcement, we will. And it won't be a cartoon showing how something might work someday if someone invests billions of dollars into something no one wants to invest in.
STFU or delivar. Your choice.
Pages:
Jump to: