Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica MtGox account compromised - page 21. (Read 155957 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 14, 2012, 12:28:45 AM
The question remains why there hasnt been a police report initiated by the owners of bitcoinica. Shouldnt it be them and not yourself that initiates such a thing ? When else do you arbitrarily "inform the police " without the actual people involved doing it ?

We are still discussing this with our legal counsel actually, however filing the theft details pre-emptively from our side may make things easier and faster, and may protect us and our other customers too.

Japan local time when post was:

7:45 AM
Saturday, July 21, 2012
( observing Standard Time )

(Sorry for the 12pt font size)

~Bruno~

You can bet if I realised that amount of funds had gone missing from my account I'd be waking Mark up in the middle of the might.  It's also reasonable to assume that Mark immediately went about securing evidence once informed of the event.  I'm not sure why you think the time is especially significant given how many people start work early even on Saturdays.

If money had been stolen from your bank account, it would be the bank who notified the authorities (after all, they have the transaction records).  In this case, it should probably be MtGox which files the initial report.  There is zero reason to believe that attempted thefts will not continue if intruders know they will likely not be discovered and prosecuted.
legendary
Activity: 910
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
July 14, 2012, 12:25:29 AM
yeah employees are fine.... friends (that aren't employees) are not...
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
July 14, 2012, 12:19:48 AM
Having friends paid out in full and then requesting that others take a 30% haircut sounds pretty darn illegal in nearly all jurisdictions involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clawback  if they are forced into liquidation the administrator can do this including any funds paid to employees like ZhouTong...I think any money he made when selling the site would be included.
jcp
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 14, 2012, 12:15:08 AM
Having friends paid out in full and then requesting that others take a 30% haircut sounds pretty darn illegal in nearly all jurisdictions involved.
legendary
Activity: 910
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
July 14, 2012, 12:09:32 AM
if its true that friends were paid out in full first, there should be no need for a discussion. It prooves people are dishonest and should be locked up.

anyways why doesnt a mod just renumber this thread to page 80 or something... and we can all just stop discussing and just wait for the next "hack"
Wat
July 14, 2012, 12:00:36 AM
Zhou Tong isnt involved in bitcoinica in the same way mark karpeles isnt involved in mt gox.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 13, 2012, 11:58:24 PM
Adding to my previous post agreeing with bitcoinBull. If it was an inside job it wasn't Patrick or Amir.

First we had this.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.894435
Posting an update soon.

good news?

If it's related to my previous email to the Bitcoinica team, no, it's a bad news.

This was a pointless and malicious comment.

Are you trying to further harm their reputation or your own? Because they're not entirely separate.

No, I was merely stating a fact. I discovered something unusual and I emailed them. They promised an update. And that's it.

I don't have the right to update you publicly because I have some advantage in obtaining insider information.

I'm not part of the "bad news" and I'm not involved in Bitcoinica. If I didn't tell them they will discover the problem anyway.

Someone care to explain to a dumb guy(me) how is it that a guy who isn't "involved in Bitcoinica" discovers a theft of almost $400k before the ones who are involved in Bitcoinica?

TWICE!

FTFY!

I'm the only guy awake when the incident happens.

What I learnt today: Siesta time in Germany is 2PM.

~Bruno~
Wat
July 13, 2012, 11:53:43 PM
Im still amazed no police report has been filed since the first hack. Given what we know about the statist views of the intersango guys who want to regulate bitcoin and who use government protection in a limited liability company formation.

If someone can explain this little doozy I will eat my hat.
legendary
July 13, 2012, 11:47:51 PM

As far as Mt.Gox is concerned and as Genjix explained, we did not suffer any breach or any hack, all other account are safe and the thief only targeted Bitconica's account. Mark (MagicalTux) has been in contact with many Bitcoin players since this announcement and offered any help we can give, but unfortunately all funds (USD & BTC) are no longer within our reach.

Once again, someone with a US IP succeed to get Bitcoinica's account credential which did not trigger any alarms since they were fully identified. Since Bitconica's account was a verified account the owner of this account asked (This happened when Zhou was still controlling Bitconica) to have his limits lifted to the maximum possible, giving the possibility to the thief to move Bitcoinica's assets to another external account (External to MtGox).

Despite our effort on securing Mt.Gox and protecting everyone's asset I would like to remind everyone that it is also your responsibility to secure your account with a very strong password and use either a Yubikey or Google Auth (You can even use both at the same time).

Mt.Gox

-- EDIT --

We would like to stress that Mt.Gox Verified Bitconica as a Company and NOT as an Individual.
to what (bank-)account was the usd sent to? ie. where can we find the guy, and beat him?

We wish things could be so simple, unfortunately they are not! But if you read a little further we explain that we know how and where the money goes and we will give all these details to the appropriate authorities to get this done right. Despite what some want to believe we are at Mt.Gox extremely furious about this situation a lot of good people and very close friends lost a LOT of money. We have of course nothing to do with what happen and will help the community has much as we can on this matter.

Did you just go from did to will?
legendary
July 13, 2012, 11:36:41 PM
The question remains why there hasnt been a police report initiated by the owners of bitcoinica. Shouldnt it be them and not yourself that initiates such a thing ? When else do you arbitrarily "inform the police " without the actual people involved doing it ?

We are still discussing this with our legal counsel actually, however filing the theft details pre-emptively from our side may make things easier and faster, and may protect us and our other customers too.

Japan local time when post was:

7:45 AM
Saturday, July 21, 2012
( observing Standard Time )

(Sorry for the 12pt font size)

~Bruno~
Activity: 868
July 13, 2012, 11:06:43 PM
If the lawsuit goes through they will simply declare bankruptcy. I dont know if you can be the director of other companies while bankrupt.

In which case all of the assets of the company would be in the control of a liquidator/administrator/receiver who can reverse any transactions - including the transfer of assets and any preferential payments - which took place during the look-back period.  Perhaps even more importantly, there would be a full and open accounting of everything which took place in the lead up to the insolvency.

You generally cannot be a director of a company while you're personally bankrupt.  You're not automatically excluded from being a director of a company if a previous company of which you were a director became insolvent (although people can and do get barred from being company directors by regulatory authorities).
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Wat
July 13, 2012, 10:44:30 PM
If the lawsuit goes through they will simply declare bankruptcy. I dont know if you can be the director of other companies while bankrupt.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
July 13, 2012, 10:38:56 PM

No. I received this email. I was still in the [email protected] mailing list.

I believe that the theft happened much earlier and no one discovered. No one cared about this spammy-look email either (or they don't check their mailbox).

I totally believe in this, after reading everyone complaining that they sent email to [email protected] and almost never got an answer, which wasn't the case when they emailed genjix at the gmail lol
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
July 13, 2012, 10:37:14 PM
Ok here's another millinery product of thinly crafted tin:

Genjix's machine is PWNd and if sniffing/keylogging there wouldn't have sniffed the password so is someone else's.

Likely the machine(s) was/were PWNd, the password sniffed, then while wondering what would be the best moment to drop the shoe the password was noticed to be in the source code so the idea of releasing the code came up. Throw in a friday the 13th coming up and the plan is born.

The PWNing would maybe have happened way back when the messages in the blockchain were placed saying some big more to come thing was still to come (I forget the exact wording).

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1022
July 13, 2012, 10:32:28 PM
this is unbelievable ...

What sense does it reuse a password like that (which is in PLAIN TEXT in the source code) and in SO EXTREMELY SENSITIVE service like lastpas ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿? ¿? is absurd. And above it looks like it was himself genjix who posted the source code (cry facepalm)
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
July 13, 2012, 10:30:30 PM
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
July 13, 2012, 10:29:05 PM
you're assuming we know what ZT's bad news was. It is possible he contacted them about the source code leak. Or god only knows what.

I believe that the theft happened much earlier and no one discovered. No one cared about this spammy-look email either (or they don't check their mailbox).

To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, 13 July 2012 3:39:55 AM
Subject: Bitcoinica is done

THANK YOU FOR YOU SOURCE CODE.

BITCONICA IS NOW OFFICALY DONE!

LASTPAS PASWORD: c02e1a27-5524-449f-ba65-aff9581ddedc
You posted on the 12th you had bad news about an email you received on the 13th? I'm not following something right here, sorry.

Someone needs to explain this...
Time zones.

All times are in UTC+8 (as I'm traveling in Singapore at the moment).

I notified Bitcoinica team at Friday, 13 July 2012 9:14:51 AM.

I posted later, when genjix promised a response.

If you convert all the time to UTC there shouldn't be any problems.

*double thumbs up* for different timezones.  I'd still like to know where the breech was that led to someone acquiring the source code to begin with.....

Probably the office cleaning lady email account got hacked, was likely also on the bitcoinica email list.

Im assuming they have an office.
Activity: 504
July 13, 2012, 10:26:42 PM
you're assuming we know what ZT's bad news was. It is possible he contacted them about the source code leak. Or god only knows what.

You posted on the 12th you had bad news about an email you received on the 13th? I'm not following something right here, sorry.

Someone needs to explain this...
Time zones.

*double thumbs up* for different timezones.  I'd still like to know where the breech was that led to someone acquiring the source code to begin with.....
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502
July 13, 2012, 10:26:34 PM

Pages:
Jump to: