Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica MtGox account compromised - page 16. (Read 155957 times)

Activity: 506
Merit: 500
July 15, 2012, 08:48:34 AM
Oh boy, just simple GOOGLE AUTHENTICATOR with a smartphone would have saved your ass and money. What a shame, this is really impressive, seems that the security of Bitcoinica's funds is directed by a pigeon.
vip
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
July 15, 2012, 08:23:57 AM
Posted an update to the OP.

i really dont give a fuck anymore just give me my coins back before you loose them all, i have 2800 BTC stuck with you idiots, unbelievable how dumb you guys are..anyway when can I expect my coins ?? you send me a mail with some bs that you had to build a case for my accounts?? hurry the fuck up please
Activity: 686
Wat
July 15, 2012, 03:32:02 AM

So what do you assume they are doing now - Sipping Piña coladas?

Probably all consulting with their own individual lawyers to evaluate the extent to which they can be held liable - collectively and individually - for this mess.  If I was any one of them, at this point I'd be communicating with the others only through my lawyer.

To be fair, Genjix is in Berlin attending a hacker convention.
Zhou Tong is on spring break, back in Singapore.
Patrick is...
Tihan Seale is VC'ing, probably another irs.com or invention.com sale.
Donald is...
Wendon is...

~Bruno~

The only people "winning" will be lawyers.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
July 14, 2012, 06:52:06 PM

Probably all consulting with their own individual lawyers to evaluate the extent to which they can be held liable - collectively and individually - for this mess.  If I was any one of them, at this point I'd be communicating with the others only through my lawyer.

To be fair, Genjix is in Berlin attending a hacker convention.
Zhou Tong is on spring break, back in Singapore.
Patrick is...
Tihan Seale is VC'ing, probably another irs.com or invention.com sale.
Donald is...
Wendon is...

~Bruno~
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 14, 2012, 06:42:46 PM

Probably all consulting with their own individual lawyers to evaluate the extent to which they can be held liable - collectively and individually - for this mess.  If I was any one of them, at this point I'd be communicating with the others only through my lawyer.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
July 14, 2012, 06:30:38 PM
Hacker, or somebody, can't spell or purposely misspelled word: LASTPAS; OFFICALY

And the hacker used hotmail. Surely an IP can be traced via them/there.

The spelling is most certainly on purpose, and Hotmail last time I checked (years ago) includes a header in outgoing mail called X-Originating-IP. It will surely turn out to belong to a TOR exit node or anonymizing service.

The captchas on Hotmail registration page aren't very fond of showing themselves to persons who use proxies... even private ones... Never tried with Tor, tho.
Activity: 530
July 14, 2012, 06:26:15 PM
Hacker, or somebody, can't spell or purposely misspelled word: LASTPAS; OFFICALY

And the hacker used hotmail. Surely an IP can be traced via them/there.

The spelling is most certainly on purpose, and Hotmail last time I checked (years ago) includes a header in outgoing mail called X-Originating-IP. It will surely turn out to belong to a TOR exit node or anonymizing service.

Activity: 761
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
July 14, 2012, 06:19:04 PM
...but I assume that by now you guys (all Bitconica LP partners) must have had a crisis meeting and made some concrete decisions on how to proceed following this latest MtGox compromise? Please don't leave your customers guessing.

LOL.  Based on past posts since this whole clusterfuck began, they hardly every communicate with each other except via the occasional email.  I don't think there've been too many all night Skype sessions going on.

But I am afraid you might be right. A wise man once said: “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - and to be honest it doesn't seem they are even trying to solve the problems anymore. Dysfunctional company is dysfunctional.
Activity: 372
Merit: 250
July 14, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
LOL.  Based on past posts since this whole clusterfuck began, they hardly every communicate with each other except via the occasional email.  I don't think there've been too many all night Skype sessions going on.

LOL @ clusterfuck.   One word ruled them all.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
July 14, 2012, 06:02:36 PM
...but I assume that by now you guys (all Bitconica LP partners) must have had a crisis meeting and made some concrete decisions on how to proceed following this latest MtGox compromise? Please don't leave your customers guessing.

Activity: 761
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
July 14, 2012, 05:47:23 PM
I will post another update once I know more. I'm guessing that payments will have to take a forced 30% cut.

No updates in the last 24hrs... I know it is a Saturday but I assume that by now you guys (all Bitconica LP partners) must have had a crisis meeting and made some concrete decisions on how to proceed following this latest MtGox compromise? Please don't leave your customers guessing.
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
July 14, 2012, 02:29:06 PM
(Jan tries to dodge the flames thrown by eWallet developers)

...flames...
Actually wouldn't MyWallet qualify?  Except maybe the user decided when to upgrade?
Yes. It is the most secure web based wallet we have. Ben did a really good job.
There are two things that stick out:
1. The end user does not decide when to upgrade the javascript that handles private keys.
2. The server has all the encrypted private keys.
I don't see a good way around this without an external piece of software running on a user controlled device.

Personally I think that the keys being on the server is more secure than a standard satoshidice install.  To get my wallet you would have to steal my phone and my password. As opposed to just sitting at my desk for a couple of mins.

Oh... MEGA LOL Grin

You better stop gambling your bitcoins, son, you're becoming obsessed Wink

DOH!  Damn You Auto Correct!

Funny, I hadn't thought I typed satoshidice that much.
legendary
Activity: 1358
July 14, 2012, 02:23:18 PM

...flames...
Actually wouldn't MyWallet qualify?  Except maybe the user decided when to upgrade?
1. The end user does not decide when to upgrade the javascript that handles private keys.
I don't see a good way around this without an external piece of software running on a user controlled device.

Personally I think that the keys being on the server is more secure than a standard satoshidice install.  To get my wallet you would have to steal my phone and my password. As opposed to just sitting at my desk for a couple of mins.

Oh... MEGA LOL Grin

You better stop gambling your bitcoins, son, you're becoming obsessed Wink
Activity: 560
I am the one who knocks
July 14, 2012, 02:18:53 PM

...flames...

Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
July 14, 2012, 02:09:50 PM

...flames...
legendary
July 14, 2012, 02:06:23 PM
What the fuck was 40 000 bitcoins doing sitting at mt gox. After the first hack it was claimed 80% of funds were sitting in cold storage.

Someone told lies about this too. Can someone dig up the original thread where they promised the coins were in cold storage ?

The funds were in the cold storage. But apparently someone transferred that to Mt. Gox account to be ready for refunds.

It would be interested to know the reason for transferring funds to MtGox for refunds. AFAIK bitcoins can be sent from any bitcoin client to any other bitcoin client, and fiat money can be transferred from any bank account to any other bank account. I do not understand why these funds would need to move to MtGox to be 'ready' for payout.

I guess some people without any ethics, moral or regards for anyone else is 'laughing' a lot these days. I hope they're happy and sleep well at night.

I felt particularily sorry for the person that lost 2 years worth of saving in this thread, but there's a lot of people that are owed a lot of money.

I'd like to say a lot more as well, but I think most of what I'd like to say has already been said in this thread.

That's the exact point I was trying to make early on. Why was cash sitting in Mt Gox? Could the answer be that it was staged there?

(Note to self: Only use 10pt font, don't post diarrhea, and take up golf.)

~Bruno~
sd
Activity: 730
July 14, 2012, 02:04:42 PM
How many excuses are you people going to listen to?

Either:

1) Forget about the money you lost.

2) Between you organize getting a professional Singapore lawyer to take Zhou Tong to court in the first instance and any secondary parties in the second instance. Zhou Tong wants you lot to believe he can legally pass the buck on this but if he sold Bitcoinica without communicating this clearly he is likely still personally responsible. You will likely get something back but it may or may not cover court costs. At worst you still get to stick it to the guy who did you wrong.

Or you could just listen to excuse after excuse moaning about each one in turn on a web forum while the people who were at best accessories to criminal negligence and at worst thieves keep money that's rightfully yours.
Activity: 385
Merit: 250
July 14, 2012, 02:00:29 PM
Damn, lot of money  Shocked

should add this to the end of the first post

Grin
legendary
July 14, 2012, 01:57:01 PM
PS: Please forgive for posting so often in this thread with what looks like on the surface to be nonsense but, because of the nature of this beast, it's warranted.
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
(+1 It's annoying to follow threads with such posters in it. When someone has 6k+ posts, and has only been in the forum a year, it's likely that most of those posts were brief blurbs of nonsense...

I think Phinnaeus Gage will be the first member on my ignore list.  Cheesy )

As for the topic, my sympathies for all who were damaged. I was hoping that after the 2011 Magic the Gathering Online Xchange hack, the BtCex.com affair, the MyBitcoin scam, and appearance of things like 2-factor and paper wallets, such incidents would be behind us... Sad

May all of you be well! There is, obviously, more to Life than Bitcoin...  Cool

I'm now hurt after reading this post. I have never ignored anybody on this forum. Everything I do is for the betterment of Bitcoin. I am sorry that this episode may have brought out the worst of me in your eyes, but I do have a lot at stake here. Please reconsider your position.

~Bruno~
Pages:
Jump to: