Pages:
Author

Topic: BitDrop (or ShadyDeliveryNetwork), a non-robotic courier system - page 3. (Read 30339 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500
How the heck did I miss this gem of an idea. Love it and would definitely sign up as a curiour. And would also be interested in sending this way.

What kind of prices are we talking with it being gas price^mileage based?

probably the best aspect would be people who commute to work, deliver it on their path they'd normally take
Activity: 630
I do wonder how long it would be till nearly every bitdrop courier is a cop  Smiley

Dont really know a solution to that.

Yep. It's quite easy for them actually, drop the trap and wait to see if somebody shows up.

A way such risk could be mitigated is to require some level of reputation before being able to drop anything. This reputation could be "imported" from other sites, like #otc or SR. Also, having carried some packages dropped by others should build you some reputation, as cops might have legal constraints that forbid them to help the network before trying to attack it (not sure if it's the case though).
Perhaps people should never trust a package dropped by a 0-rep user. Want to use the network, build some reputation before. Quite limiting as constraint, and I'm not sure it's enough. If cops start building their rep before attacking, I wouldn't know any way to protect the users.

PS: Don't take me badly, I don't want to be a pessimist, I'd really like to see such service working. It just looks too difficult and dangerous though...
Activity: 686
Wat
I do wonder how long it would be till nearly every bitdrop courier is a cop  Smiley

Dont really know a solution to that.
Activity: 630
it's already well established the courier has no liability for the legality of his/her charge under a properly run delivery service and something like this would have a transparent system where it's obvious the courier cant know the contents.

This can't possibly work in court... otherwise, all drug dealers caught carrying large amounts would just have to claim they didn't know what was inside the package, neither do they know who was the original sender...  Roll Eyes

I imagine this excuse may work for officially recognized carriers... but we shouldn't expect an anonymous p2p postal network to have such recognition.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
Very interesting. Glad to hear this is going forward!
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
SneakerNet -> TireNet
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
I would be willing to be a runner for non-dark packages

Is couriering cash something you'ld object to?  If not, up to what amount would you be comfortable?

(I don't have an actual need, just curious what the response to this question would be.)

I would not object, but would prefer it not be so large as to make myself an attractive target to be robbed. I don't have an armored car Tongue. So, I see no problem with a few hundred USD total per trip.

I can see where this kind of service would be useful for moving money into or out of an exchange without needing the banks.
Wat
What a troubled history this innovative thread has had. Perhaps moving it to a more relevant board would do it some justice. I am surprised it has just now come to my attention. A goofy and quixotic thread, but interesting nonetheless. p2p ftw

Its on the agenda for bitcoinglobal but I think its an idea that belongs to everyone. If someone makes a start perhaps they will get paid at the end of it as lead dev or get some shares Smiley

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
What a troubled history this innovative thread has had. Perhaps moving it to a more relevant board would do it some justice. I am surprised it has just now come to my attention. A goofy and quixotic thread, but interesting nonetheless. p2p ftw
Wat
Perhaps you could use google maps and specify streets rather than just a radius. Each person would have a different colour to make it easier to see the overlaps.

Then you could see the exact streets to do handovers.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Instead of a radius, why not define a region that you are willing to go to. Maybe some parts of your state are largely uninhabited or the roadways aren't tolerable for your vehicle, or you want to avoid certain portions of your city. That might make routing more complicated but probably more efficient.

Also perhaps a distance off of certain highways, so rather than forming a circle, it would be an expanded bubble around whatever major highways you specified.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Instead of a radius, why not define a region that you are willing to go to. Maybe some parts of your state are largely uninhabited or the roadways aren't tolerable for your vehicle, or you want to avoid certain portions of your city. That might make routing more complicated but probably more efficient.
Wat
This should be a p2p android app rather than a website.

https://booster.io/tipjar/0c8xe2g   the bounty is here.

One thing to consider is using existing services that are similar https://www.meemeep.com/ for example.

Would be good if services like that had an api you could pull and advertise any holes in the network to be filled Cheesy
Activity: 504
How the heck did I miss this gem of an idea. Love it and would definitely sign up as a curiour. And would also be interested in sending this way.

What kind of prices are we talking with it being gas price^mileage based?
Activity: 532
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

Is couriering cash something you'ld object to?  If not, up to what amount would you be comfortable?

(I don't have an actual need, just curious what the response to this question would be.)

I wouldn't object. No limit, upper or lower. But then, ideally, I have no idea whats in the box.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

Is couriering cash something you'ld object to?  If not, up to what amount would you be comfortable?

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
I'm so interested in this, I'm willing to personally cover most of the Washington DC/Baltimore area
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
I think this is an excellent idea.  I would be willing to be a runner for non-dark packages on my daily, 40-minute commute in Oklahoma, and maybe a ship items thru this system once it gets going and I have things to sell.

For developers working or considering working on this, you may have a look at http://www.openstreetmap.org/ as a data source.  Also, please keep in mind that some people, like myself, are available for point-to-point travel, but not so much for radius travel.
Activity: 662
Merit: 545
this is extremely interesting and i would love to see this service happen.  id be willing to both use the service and participate in it.
Wat
I can supply a device that peroidically ping gps locations through the cellular network and these devices can be sold to either runners and/or customers to place in their package to make sure it gets their.

Basically someome needs to create a website that looks up the route of the package and then queries the nearest runners asking if they can full fill the order for X amount of btc(along with estimated amount of $$$).
Sounds simple

What if runners are unavailable to pick up packages like they promised? (family member died, rush to hospital , some other extreme reason?)

Possibly depending on the package they could post it to the next runner. At least message someone about it and the site could notify another runner in the area if there is one.

The important part here is "communication".

The gps device would be nice too. Especially for dead drops Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: