Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmain Announces the Antminer R4 and APW5 Power Supply, Designed for Silence - page 4. (Read 84827 times)

brand new
Activity: 0
Merit: 0
Are there some still available?
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Might still be sagging, esp if there are multiple +12 rails and they are not distributed evenly. Try checking the voltage at the miner's plug (from the back) and see if it's 12 or 11 or whatnot.

They shouldn't burn up that badly. Hm.
Activity: 91
Merit: 17
I changed twice my connectors on both R4 of mine. Still they overheat and need to be change again.
Look like only few pins take all the load, I suspect poor PCB layout. Don't purchase if you can't tinker with soldering.
What are you using for a power supply? If it is overloaded then voltage will sag below 12v and current draw will go up. Amps equals heat.

Also buy only nickel plugs, not the brass crap ones. Nickel is much better.

I use a overkill EVGA 1300W Gold P/S.
R4 burned couple of cable sets already.
Next repair I solder my cable directly  Roll Eyes

Down clocked by haft , still feel they are fire hazard.
Don't buy.
legendary
I changed twice my connectors on both R4 of mine. Still they overheat and need to be change again.
Look like only few pins take all the load, I suspect poor PCB layout. Don't purchase if you can't tinker with soldering.
What are you using for a power supply? If it is overloaded then voltage will sag below 12v and current draw will go up. Amps equals heat.

Also buy only nickel plugs, not the brass crap ones. Nickel is much better.
Activity: 91
Merit: 17
legendary
Charred connectors are at least fixable (I can do that), the problem is overheating chips which causes the stupid boards to die. Replacing the chips is a pain in the rear, but if the connectors are bad it can be fixed with the right tools.

C
copper member
Activity: 330
Merit: 103
Definitely look out for R4's with charred 6-pin connectors. I've seen a couple being sold on eBay with burned up connectors as being in great condition...
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
^^ Please READ the thread.....
The R4 has been out of production for well over a year and given their poor reliability, beware of any found on eBay or elsewhere.
copper member
Activity: 53
Merit: 1
Cryptocurrency Miner in Los Angeles
I owned a bunch of these over the past year and half, MyRig was able to successfully repair all of them that lost boards plus I did not have to ship the entire rig.

Currently trying to get a hashboard repaired there now but customer service is not replying promptly. Their customer service is hit or miss, must be all the smog in Denver  Tongue

Good to know, just reached out to them on a couple boards I've had go bad.

I too think it's a shame the R4 isn't produced anymore. It's a great device for people who have access to inexpensive power in places where noise would be an issue. But I get that there's unlikely to be bulk buyers.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
I owned a bunch of these over the past year and half, MyRig was able to successfully repair all of them that lost boards plus I did not have to ship the entire rig.

Currently trying to get a hashboard repaired there now but customer service is not replying promptly. Their customer service is hit or miss, must be all the smog in Denver  Tongue

I've noticed MyRig started to have some problems ever since they started migrating from Bitmainwarranty (and perhaps they're under load from Halong unit orders, etc). They're still a great company nevertheless and I'll continue to buy equipment from them, no matter what delays come up.
Activity: 723
Merit: 519

copper member
Activity: 174
Merit: 10
I updated my post, please have another look.

Both two R4 units ended up being sent to MyRig,
and they were able to fix only one R4..

Got it, thanks. The R4 is so unique - it’s a shame there are so many issues.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
I updated my post, please have another look.

Both two R4 units ended up being sent to MyRig,
and they were able to fix only one R4..
copper member
Well I found out that,

Bitmain can not repair R4 miners. They say they don't have spare parts anymore.
Which sucks, in my opinion.

The only place to repair these is MyRig.

Gotcha - I saw that response from Bitmain - did they return it to you?

Has MyRig responded with any updates on the other board you shipped out?
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
Well I found out that,

Bitmain can not repair R4 miners. They say they don't have spare parts anymore.
Which sucks, in my opinion.

The only place to repair these is MyRig.
And they can only repair it if it doesn't have too much of a pcb board damages.

So out of these two R4 units, I was only able to get one R4 unit repaired successfully.  Undecided
copper member
I had 1x R4B1 that have very cheap PCI power connectors.
They overheated at stock speed, ruined my P/S cables. ( EVGA G2 1300W )
My second unit didn't have that issue.

Monitor your cables temperature, nothing should heat.
Bitmain lowered connector quality for some R4 batch, probably explaining lot's of defects.

It need a lot's of heat to desoldering, soldering iron alone won't be enough.
Pre-heating bed or hot air is mandatory to execute the job properly.
Or you can send the boards to me for repair. I've been doing this on Avalons, Titans, and S7's for awhile now, and I've seen some poor attempts to do it which don't end well.

If you want me to fix bad connectors, drop me a PM and pack the boards in bubble wrap.

And since I believe information should be free and the skill of work be paid for, here are some tips on how to do it:

You have to get a pre-heater. Aoyue 853+ or better at minimum. Don't use a super big soldering iron, you will just burn the vias before you remove the part.

Cut the back three prongs on the connector before you start. That way you are removing them one at a time, not six at once.

And the super magic secret: Tin the leads with lead/rosin solder. This will lower the melting point of the crap ROHS solder a *lot* and make removal easier.

Use very good flux. Flux cleans connections and transfers heat.

Once off..../////

How do you pre-heat this area without letting the SMD components float off? The pcie joints seem really difficult  to melt!
copper member
Btw, I recently bought two faulty R4s in Ebay to see if I can fix them and after I noticed I'm not able to fix them with my equipment, I sent them to paid repair service (out-of-warranty repair service).

I have sent one R4 to Bitmain in Hong Kong and I have sent the another one R4  to MyRig in Denver, CO, USA.
In a e-mail discussion Bitmain said to me that "We have not produced or supported the R4 in a long time. If you need repair please try our out of repair agent in the US. They carry parts for older machines and may be able to repair. Please check with them."

I didn't know this prior sending one R4 unit to Bitmain in Hong Kong.

But I should have remembered that there was this whole replacement process with T9s and S9s for guys with a faulty R4 unit..

Let's see how this turns out.  Cheesy

Any news on these two tests? Curious as to the progress or outcomes.
Any idea how much the CO repair center charges to repair/replace a single r4 board?
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.
I have 3 that I'm interested in selling or trading

how much do you want for them? i'm interested Smiley PM me please.
Activity: 723
Merit: 519
Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.
I have 3 that I'm interested in selling or trading
Activity: 41
Merit: 3
It is the same as running an older batch S9 with two boards (8THs), except silent. And they pull 2/3s the power of the older S9s as well.

Its design is probably unnecessary in a warehouse, but perfect for the living room.
The T9 is close, but it still uses dual fans. I wonder if the Avalons are quiet enough, but somehow doubt it. Someone told me 65db, which is 10db above the R4.

The fan on the R4 should be run at 100% by disconnecting the control wire, they are very quiet even at the max 3200rpm (i saw another (slower?) batch running max at 3000rpm).

Compare it with the useless A3 and tell me they were worth more spending resources than this. An Scrypt model using this same design would have probably been great as well.

I guess in the end you have to get a T9/S9 and put it inside a cooler box with holes and thermal insulated ducts...

I ran an Avalon 741 in my studio apartment for about 3 months and it heated my space pretty well for the winter months. The 841s are definitely louder.

Underclocking my 741 to -2 voltage and setting a low minimum fanspeed dropped the sound quite a bit (think ~50db @ 1 ft away, I will see if I can find a video). The fans are obviously very sensitive to temps and so I kept my unit near a cold brick wall with a window I could open at any time if it was getting too warm. Electricity cost was about the same as what I would have paid for heat.
Pages:
Jump to: