Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmain Announces the Antminer R4 and APW5 Power Supply, Designed for Silence - page 5. (Read 84827 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 560
The R4 was a failed experiment and further proves there is not a strong enough market for home miners to keep them in production.

To make a decent profit in the space now you need to run more miners than a normal home electrical system is setup to handle. The only reason to run an R4 is so you can pat yourself on the back and brag to your friends you mine bitcoin.

I mean an r4 makes like what $50 a month at residential power prices?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
It is the same as running an older batch S9 with two boards (8THs), except silent. And they pull 2/3s the power of the older S9s as well.

Its design is probably unnecessary in a warehouse, but perfect for the living room.
The T9 is close, but it still uses dual fans. I wonder if the Avalons are quiet enough, but somehow doubt it. Someone told me 65db, which is 10db above the R4.

The fan on the R4 should be run at 100% by disconnecting the control wire, they are very quiet even at the max 3200rpm (i saw another (slower?) batch running max at 3000rpm).

Compare it with the useless A3 and tell me they were worth more spending resources than this. An Scrypt model using this same design would have probably been great as well.

I guess in the end you have to get a T9/S9 and put it inside a cooler box with holes and thermal insulated ducts...
Avalons aren’t going to be quiet enough for the living room like you said; they’re still industrial grade machines just like the S9s, though they are indeed somewhat quieter than the S9s. Every decibel counts in home mining, though, so if you aren’t going for the living room approach, the Avalon or S9 is fine for the garage or basement as long as there is adequate airflow coming in and heat extraction out.

There’s no need for the R4 in a warehouse considering you get way better bang for your buck with alternatives like the S9, T9, A8xx, etc.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
It is the same as running an older batch S9 with two boards (8THs), except silent. And they pull 2/3s the power of the older S9s as well.

Its design is probably unnecessary in a warehouse, but perfect for the living room.
The T9 is close, but it still uses dual fans. I wonder if the Avalons are quiet enough, but somehow doubt it. Someone told me 65db, which is 10db above the R4.

The fan on the R4 should be run at 100% by disconnecting the control wire, they are very quiet even at the max 3200rpm (i saw another (slower?) batch running max at 3000rpm).

Compare it with the useless A3 and tell me they were worth more spending resources than this. An Scrypt model using this same design would have probably been great as well.

I guess in the end you have to get a T9/S9 and put it inside a cooler box with holes and thermal insulated ducts...
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
I have to wonder why none of the competition has cloned this design. There are many places where you want to have these silent miners...
There's simply not enough demand for quiet miners. Most large buyers of mining supplies operate farms where noise is not an issue, and having a silent miner is a rather niche product when you can just sell larger volumes louder ones.

I still find it interesting Bitmain has put 'Coming Soon' on their R4 product page but they haven't come out with any news about it yet. Same for the clock-router LTC miner that they have, the page for that showed up 2-3 weeks ago but there's been no news about it whatsoever besides the product page.

They may have been quiet, but they were not cost effective.  S9s provided a lot more hashing for your dollar than the R4s did.
copper member
Activity: 112
Merit: 8
Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.

Probably never. They might have some inventory left but I doubt that they still manufacture these R4s.
Activity: 120
Merit: 2
Does anybody know when the next batch of the R4s are coming out? It's been "coming soon" for what seems to be forever now.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
Router Ltc miner looks pretty sweet.

I dunno what you consider sweet but a $20 router with a single hash chip in it that will never even reach ROI is not my cup of tea
Activity: 462
Merit: 300
I have to wonder why none of the competition has cloned this design. There are many places where you want to have these silent miners...
There's simply not enough demand for quiet miners. Most large buyers of mining supplies operate farms where noise is not an issue, and having a silent miner is a rather niche product when you can just sell larger volumes louder ones.

I still find it interesting Bitmain has put 'Coming Soon' on their R4 product page but they haven't come out with any news about it yet. Same for the clock-router LTC miner that they have, the page for that showed up 2-3 weeks ago but there's been no news about it whatsoever besides the product page.

Router Ltc miner looks pretty sweet.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
where to buy new R4s ?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
You can't find new units anywhere at the moment..

Bitmain has not announced news about new R4 batches.

As you can see from my previous post, they said to me that "we have not produced or supported the R4 in a long time".

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
where to buy new R4s ?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
...But I should have remembered that there was this whole replacement process with T9s and S9s for guys with a faulty R4 unit..

Oh it was a whole replacement process all right. Suffice to say it was as pleasant as a colonoscopy without the professionalism.  Cheesy
legendary
Btw, I recently bought two faulty R4s in Ebay to see if I can fix them and after I noticed I'm not able to fix them with my equipment, I sent them to paid repair service (out-of-warranty repair service).

I have sent one R4 to Bitmain in Hong Kong and I have sent the another one R4  to MyRig in Denver, CO, USA.
In a e-mail discussion Bitmain said to me that "We have not produced or supported the R4 in a long time. If you need repair please try our out of repair agent in the US. They carry parts for older machines and may be able to repair. Please check with them."

I didn't know this prior sending one R4 unit to Bitmain in Hong Kong.

But I should have remembered that there was this whole replacement process with T9s and S9s for guys with a faulty R4 unit..

Let's see how this turns out.  Cheesy
I'm in BTC XTC
You get the "Coming Soon" button for now.
It's weird, go to BiteMe's main page, click on "Antminer", and it's the third 'billboard' that pops up above the pics of the miners.  Yes, there's no pic of the R4 there for some reason.

And I hate to say it, but I so love R4B2 that I'd be tempted to grab one of these when they come up for sale.  Gotta love the eff and low noise!
legendary
@VRobb
Do you have a link to the product page?

Sales starts in?

Delivery time?

Price?
I'm in BTC XTC
It's one of the 'billboards' on the front page showing the S9, R4, etc...  When you click on it you get that link.

EDIT- that's weird, it's gone again??  Cue Twilight Zone music and Rod's cigarette smoke...!  Shocked
Frankly would make more sense that they're NOT making these things again.
Nope, it's there, website is sluggish or something.  Guess they are going to make these again.
legendary
They're going to sell these again?  I hope they got the horrible failure rate down to normal S9 levels!  Roll Eyes

https://shop.bitmain.com/antminer_r4_silent_bitcoin_miner_for_home.htm?flag=overview

I'm curious, where did you see an announcement for this?

I can't find any product page.
Activity: 53
Merit: 1
They're going to sell these again?  I hope they got the horrible failure rate down to normal S9 levels!  Roll Eyes

https://shop.bitmain.com/antminer_r4_silent_bitcoin_miner_for_home.htm?flag=overview

They are putting everything they got on sale it seems
I'm in BTC XTC

Pages:
Jump to: