Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 25. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
There isn't a easy going plug and play device at Amazon ?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hi guys, sorry for my stupid question, but regarding using server PSU what about the cables (6 pin PCIE)? From where you bought the cables?
If you going to OC S3 is good to have 4 pcs. PCIE connected right?

That is a very good question and there are a couple of ways you can do this.
1. Buy a couple of 8 pin PCIe to 6 pin PCIe cables. These MUST have all the 6 connections to the 6 pin end populated. (I am informed these are usually called nVidia graphics cards power cables, but I can not confirm that).
From here it is up to you what you prefer to do. You can either have your 15A cables from the PSU feeding into a male 8 pin PCIe which you then connect to your cables above OR you can slice off the 8 pin end from your cables, and using an inline connection joiner (from a connection strip rated for at least 15A and available for around 2 GBP for a set of 12), connect your sliced now cable to the PSU cables.

DO NOT buy the 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCIe adapters on the net as they will most likely not be able to handle the amperage. They also do not have all the wires to the 6 pin populated.

2. You can actually buy the 6 pin PCIe housings and the female crimps that go into them from the web and make them up yourself using the slicing method above. For wires, get those that can handle 7 amps (thus every 6 pin PCIe connector can feed 21 amps to the blade). Do not be put off with the crimping as you can do this easily using a pair of sharp pointed pliers.

NOTE: With the three rail PSU, use one rail to power each blade independently with the third one shared between the two. i.e the independent rail will power two ports of the 6 pin PCIe (15A /2 = 7.5) and to share the common rail, simply join these with a length of the 15A wire.
Activity: 56
Excuse for my newbie question but i dont know how to Start my S3 !.? I ve also a netadapter 650 Watt Gold 80+ and a crossover cabel and a Laptop WITH Win xP
Activity: 12
Hi guys, sorry for my stupid question, but regarding using server PSU what about the cables (6 pin PCIE)? From where you bought the cables?
If you going to OC S3 is good to have 4 pcs. PCIE connected right?

Erm, I was googling and not getting very far. I think we're on crossed wires here. I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm learning from you.

Thank you for the info Smiley

The easiest way to get the specs is to read them from the sticker on the PSU. So it follows, google the PSU, click images and find an image you can read. Another option is the dell website or even better, find a seller on ebay and they'll most likely have an image of the item they are selling!
Happy hashing.

Yup, just ordered one. Cheers dude! Smiley
No worries, just make sure you have your solder iron and 15A (or over) cables ready for when the supply arrives!
I've posted my overclocking tests for an S3 with a 550 watt Dell server PSU here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/antminer-s3-batch-6-overclocking-750220
Activity: 120
Merit: 100

Erm, I was googling and not getting very far. I think we're on crossed wires here. I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm learning from you.

The easiest way to get the specs is to read them from the sticker on the PSU. So it follows, google the PSU, click images and find an image you can read. Another option is the dell website or even better, find a seller on ebay and they'll most likely have an image of the item they are selling!
Happy hashing.

Yup, just ordered one. Cheers dude! Smiley

Happy hashing.

Guys, wake up to server PSU's! they go for a pittance and are more robust than an equivalently rated (wattage wise) boxed PSU. Fifty bucks may sound like a steal until you find out an equivalent 2nd hand server PSU is 15 bucks give or take.
A server PSU's that would adequately power an overclocked S3 (and then some), can take the shape of:

http://store.vibrant.com/Dell-HY104.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=ads&utm_campaign=Dell-HY104

also at fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Power-Supply-HY104-0HY104-Z670P-00-7001080-Y100-PSU-/360931800592?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item5409363610

Both of those do not have enough juice to run an s3. The s3 needs just over 30A on the 12v to do 370w at the wall, and I'd rather the supply do 40A so I have room to move.

What server PSU's do you use to power one s3? And what does it drain at the wall?

Are you speaking from a position of knowledge or are you speculating?
The linked PSU has 3 12V rails with more than enough amperage in the rails combined to power 2 S3's running slightly underclocked, and DEFINITELY to power a single S3 overclocked to the max.

Ffrom the specs: Output Max. Load 12V 54.4A

Nope, I'm the victim of a bad website it would appear.

So the Poweredge 1950 HY104 can pump out that much juice? Blimey.

Where do you get the specs from?

Come off it! Where did YOU get yours from? In any case, simple maths will tell you 670 watts from 12V needs 55.83 A
I run my S3's off 550 watt Dell server PSU's overclocked to 262.5M, so I know for sure I can run an S3 on 670 watt PSU and not even need to have the PSU cooling fan running at the max.
Honestly, do some research .... thats what google is there for!

Guys, wake up to server PSU's! they go for a pittance and are more robust than an equivalently rated (wattage wise) boxed PSU. Fifty bucks may sound like a steal until you find out an equivalent 2nd hand server PSU is 15 bucks give or take.
A server PSU's that would adequately power an overclocked S3 (and then some), can take the shape of:

http://store.vibrant.com/Dell-HY104.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=ads&utm_campaign=Dell-HY104

also at fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Power-Supply-HY104-0HY104-Z670P-00-7001080-Y100-PSU-/360931800592?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item5409363610

Both of those do not have enough juice to run an s3. The s3 needs just over 30A on the 12v to do 370w at the wall, and I'd rather the supply do 40A so I have room to move.

What server PSU's do you use to power one s3? And what does it drain at the wall?

The linked PSU has 3 12V rails with more than enough amperage in the rails combined to power 2 S3's running slightly underclocked, and DEFINITELY to power a single S3 overclocked to the max.

Come off it! Where did YOU get yours from? In any case, simple maths will tell you 670 watts from 12V needs 55.83 A
I run my S3's off 550 watt Dell server PSU's overclocked to 262.5M, so I know for sure I can run an S3 on 670 watt PSU and not even need to have the PSU cooling fan running at the max.
Honestly, do some research .... thats what google is there for!

also at fleabay

also at fleabay

It's a fifty buck supply from Gekko Science, you should look into it.  Grin

also at fleabay

Yes, but how efficient are they?

I would not be overly concerned about the the efficiency because server PSU's are built to power-up equipement for long periods and therefore they are going to always be more robust than an equivalent power rated desktop PSU. On the other hand, I would also not be surprised that they are Gold rated (or higher) as chadwickx16 suggests.

What would be ideal is that before you buy one, make sure it has the 12V rails adequate to power up whatever rig you need it for at your wall voltage and also ensure you find as much information about the PSU e.g turning it on, turning down the cooling fan ... etc (not hard to do via search engine). In most cases, you'll need to make the leads that power up your rig (or buy them from other miners) too.

Generally it is a LOT cheaper to get and deploy a server PSU than it is to get a boxed desktop PSU, and also a lot easier to get a server PSU working than it looks / seems.
Activity: 556
Generally server psu's are gold or higher.
I'm currently using the one that gigampz sells.
Right, but I never see any efficiency claims or stats...
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Generally server psu's are gold or higher.
I'm currently using the one that gigampz sells.
Activity: 556

also at fleabay

Activity: 317
Merit: 104
"If I dial back the clock to 200m I get 1.05 GH/w at an average of 400 GH/s.

If I dial the clock back to 175m I get 1.17 GH/w at an average of 340 GH/s.

That doesn't make any sense !

Stock clock will give you 440 GH/s at 350 W which is  0.79 W per Gh/s.

That's what I get on my S3's from Batch 1

Bob

Most likely I'm not using anywhere near as nice a power supply as you.

Bob

Most likely I'm not using anywhere near as nice a power supply as you.
Activity: 317
Merit: 104

Bob
Pages:
Jump to: