Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 27. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 818
Merit: 508
So I messed around and how to restore to factory settings.  So back at factory settings consistently at 440~G.  I went back to overclock them.  After SSHing into the miner, changing the settings, confirming the settings were changed, the GUI still shows the stock frequency.  Any clue to why this is?

Putty shows me having marked 250hz, but the GUI only shows stock(218.75).

Thanks in advance
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

1.  Both of them are on their own HX 750 80 plus Gold
2. B6
3.  Pool speed (Slush) currently 466G and 432G respectively. 

The first miner (7hr 25m 15s)
GH/S (5s) 437.16 
GH/S (avg) 458.16

The second miner (7hr 26m 15s)
GH/S (5s) 432.29
GH/S (avg) 481.99

1. HX 750 should be more than adequate to overclock a single S3 to the maximum speeds in the asic-freq file confortably. i am not conversant with the connections on this particular PSU, but if you have all four populated on the S3 then, on both ends, you should be hitting the advertised speeds. If not, you probably drew the short straw as they are both B6 (of which I have a couple doing as advertised on a 550W psu)!
2. Slush hourly speeds displayed on the My Account page SHOULD be higher than the LUCI speeds (at least one of mine pointed there does) since you have been running for over an hour.

Having said that, I think the unit does not use the full extent of the advertisied wattage at the over-clock speeds if it does not hit them. Small consolation probably (and even smaller decrease in consumption), but thats how the chips fall. though I have to say, for batch 6, at least both miners should be hitting 480Gh/s.
So I overclocked both of my S3s to 250.

One is consistent around 480G
the other one is only around 450 to 460G.

What am I missing?  HW are extremely low.  I don't want to try and overclock it more, but these things are all over the place.  Curious about your overclocking experience.....

Thanks
The S3 takes a while to come to speed, so you have to leave it running at least several hours to a day to get definitive numbers. if that then:
1. What wattage (and efficiency) is your PSU?
2. What batch was this if you know? (the latter batches seem to overclock better)
3. What are the speed you mention here? Are they pool speeds or machine (luci) speeds?
You'll also notice that the hashing speed by the minute / hour is, like you say, all over the place but also bear in mind that the "jobs" being hashed are never the same! Thus, the average hashing spped by both your miner and the pool you are hashing with take a while to settle.

1.  Both of them are on their own HX 750 80 plus Gold
2. B6
3.  Pool speed (Slush) currently 466G and 432G respectively. 

The first miner (7hr 25m 15s)
GH/S (5s) 437.16 
GH/S (avg) 458.16

The second miner (7hr 26m 15s)
GH/S (5s) 432.29
GH/S (avg) 481.99

What am I missing?  HW are extremely low.  I don't want to try and overclock it more, but these things are all over the place.  Curious about your overclocking experience.....

Thanks
The S3 takes a while to come to speed, so you have to leave it running at least several hours to a day to get definitive numbers. if that then:
1. What wattage (and efficiency) is your PSU?
2. What batch was this if you know? (the latter batches seem to overclock better)
3. What are the speed you mention here? Are they pool speeds or machine (luci) speeds?
You'll also notice that the hashing speed by the minute / hour is, like you say, all over the place but also bear in mind that the "jobs" being hashed are never the same! Thus, the average hashing spped by both your miner and the pool you are hashing with take a while to settle.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
looks like we are in the same boat.

both clocked at 250 MHz. one is consistent 490-500G, the other unit 450-470G. all chips are 0000 and HW error is also very low.

Thanks
Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Well since the chips name not different I thought it would has similar architecture and how its works. Then again if I downclock/volt S3 has same efficiency, then the only way is go up as high as I can. Anyone tried 600GH+ ? Since Im still 40C right now so its 10C spare before burn Grin
The chip names (numbers) are different and so is their manufacturing process. If you look at the S1, it has 32 chips on each blade (64 chips in total) that deliver a stock speed of 180 Gh/s, whereas the S3 has 16 chips per blade (32 in total) delivering a stock 441 Gh/s. the only similarity is that they are made by the same company.

I am sure if you ventilate the latter batches' S3's properly (as in either cutting the blue wires or replacing the stock fans with un regulated 150+ CFM's), and power it up with a decent PSU, you can easily surpass 600 Gh/s without much ceremony. Another cooling method would be dismounting the blades from their stock vulcan-grip layout, and installing fans blowing on both heatsinks; this coupled with at least a 750 watt PSU (and of-course the correct frequency settings) can get you well into the 650 Gh/s, again, without much ceremony.

PS. untested and do at your own risk!
Yeah typo, I mean just a little different in chips number BM1382 and BM1380. Looks like easier then S1. Ok maybe I will try in the next batch since I already bought 500 watt PSU for now, thanks Wink
Activity: 168

Well since the chips name not different I thought it would has similar architecture and how its works. Then again if I downclock/volt S3 has same efficiency, then the only way is go up as high as I can. Anyone tried 600GH+ ? Since Im still 40C right now so its 10C spare before burn Grin
The chip names (numbers) are different and so is their manufacturing process. If you look at the S1, it has 32 chips on each blade (64 chips in total) that deliver a stock speed of 180 Gh/s, whereas the S3 has 16 chips per blade (32 in total) delivering a stock 441 Gh/s. the only similarity is that they are made by the same company.

I am sure if you ventilate the latter batches' S3's properly (as in either cutting the blue wires or replacing the stock fans with un regulated 150+ CFM's), and power it up with a decent PSU, you can easily surpass 600 Gh/s without much ceremony. Another cooling method would be dismounting the blades from their stock vulcan-grip layout, and installing fans blowing on both heatsinks; this coupled with at least a 750 watt PSU (and of-course the correct frequency settings) can get you well into the 650 Gh/s, again, without much ceremony.

Wait, you guys aren't doing this already?

I dont mean the number Sir but their percentage... I mean S1 can drop its power to ~140% its original BUT only 20% drop its speed. While the S3 drop percentage is the same like the power drop 50% its original and the speed drops 50% too...

So if S1 180GH/400W can goes to 140GH/166W then S3 should can drop from 441GH/340W to 350GH/115W...
I am sure you are barking up the wrong tree here. Firstly, the chips in the machines are different and while the improvement over the old chips was to deliver more hashing speed for less energy, I suppose something has to give in terms of power consumption at lower speeds.

The efficiencies in comparing the two chips should be focused on the overall power consumption for hashing speed. If they'd designed the new chip to primarily consume less power when hashing at lower speeds, then it would probably have meant that it would consume (exponentially) more power when hashing at higher speeds than it does in its current state! Something has to give. What you cannot question however, is the efficiency of the S3 over the S1, call it something else if you insist.

I dont mean the number Sir but their percentage... I mean S1 can drop its power to ~140% its original BUT only 20% drop its speed. While the S3 drop percentage is the same like the power drop 50% its original and the speed drops 50% too...

So if S1 180GH/400W can goes to 140GH/166W then S3 should can drop from 441GH/340W to 350GH/115W...
I am sure you are barking up the wrong tree here. Firstly, the chips in the machines are different and while the improvement over the old chips was to deliver more hashing speed for less energy, I suppose something has to give in terms of power consumption at lower speeds.

The efficiencies in comparing the two chips should be focused on the overall power consumption for hashing speed. If they'd designed the new chip to primarily consume less power when hashing at lower speeds, then it would probably have meant that it would consume (exponentially) more power when hashing at higher speeds than it does in its current state! Something has to give. What you cannot question however, is the efficiency of the S3 over the S1, call it something else if you insist.

Even if I undervolt/clock it, how can its not as efficient as S1 ?
For comparison :
S1 180GH / 400 watt can goes to 140GH / 166 watt. Speed down 28% but power down 140%...

Any how advice Sir ?

What are you on about? Check your own post.
For an S3 201Gh/s = 154W
where as
for an S1 140Gh/s = 166W

you get MORE speed for less wattage, that is better efficiency in my book!

Even if I undervolt/clock it, how can its not as efficient as S1 ?
For comparison :
S1 180GH / 400 watt can goes to 140GH / 166 watt. Speed down 28% but power down 140%...

Any how advice Sir ?

What are you on about? Check your own post.
For an S3 201Gh/s = 154W
where as
for an S1 140Gh/s = 166W

you get MORE speed for less wattage, that is better efficiency in my book!
Put another way, for only 154 watts on an S3, you get more hashing speed than you would get from an S1 consuming 400 watts (i.e running at 180Gh/s). That is less than half the power usage for more speed!
Guys, any softmod can undervolt S3 ? Or I just need too lower its freq and power will adjusted ?

Thanks...
If your intention is to draw less power from the wall, then yes, lowering the frequency will result in less power draw from the wall.
Guys, any softmod can undervolt S3 ? Or I just need too lower its freq and power will adjusted ?

Thanks...
Activity: 27
Merit: 0

JennaK /JeremyHalifax88 .....next time post with worker name blocked. Just happened to skim through here and saw you didnt and I recognize JeremyHalifax88 handle  from posting on RFD!!!!!  Wink
Activity: 128
yeah it works maybe some more frequencys to choose from since the give mixed results
Activity: 805
Merit: 250
hello i own 2 antminer s3 b5's is it recommended to download the latest firmware? i read mixed results but no definite answer. ty

Don't fix it if it ain't broken
Activity: 556
hello i own 2 antminer s3 b5's is it recommended to download the latest firmware? i read mixed results but no definite answer. ty
Does it work and do what you need it to do? Then no.
Pages:
Jump to: