Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread - page 31. (Read 158132 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Hi everyone !  Smiley

I overclocked my s3 to 250 and it runs very well. I was wondering : should I go a little higher ? Is it possible? Could I get more Gh/s ?

Does anyone do that and can tell me how to do the same if it works well ?

Many thanks !

Activity: 38
Do any of you here know why the queue on the config is set so high? Is there a big gain from setting it to a lower number or why did they program 4096 as the queue. The discarded amounts are so high...

Any idea?

Not sure, but what I can say is outside adjusting the freq and timings for overclocking, there's really nothing else you need to adjust or change.  That being said, if your discarded shares are quite high it might be worth resetting your Antminer via the reset switch inside, and then checking your network for stability and throughput.
Activity: 27
Do any of you here know why the queue on the config is set so high? Is there a big gain from setting it to a lower number or why did they program 4096 as the queue. The discarded amounts are so high...

Any idea?
Activity: 31
Finally got this setup finished. Built a custom server room in my pole barn to house all the ants. I figured they would run nice n cool with a small air conditioned room and the ants exhausted out the back. but that doesn't look like the case. I'm seeing temps on most of them up around 47 and 48 degrees even with the ac on high. I'm not sure if it's because all the PSU's are so close to the ants that it's sucking in the warm exhaust from the psu's, or just need a bigger AC, or maybe something wrong with the airflow of the room. The ants are creating suction in the small room, so much it whams the door shut and there is a noticeable difference in the sounds the fans are making while the door is open vs the door being shut. When it's shut it sounds like a vacuum when you put your hand over the hose. Is 47-48 not OCed still acceptable or should I worry about getting them down and suggestions on doing that which doesn't require moving the Ants.  Undecided

I think the room is supposed to be sealed instead of having ants pull air off it. Your ants should warm the room while the AC cools it back  keeping the set temperature.
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
Activity: 578
Merit: 508
Hi Guys

I just got my antminer s3 and having big problems.

It's only mining at about 250ghs and gets around 75% hw error.

I am using a brand new Corsair CX500 and have also tried with my Corsair HX850.
I have changed the thermal paste on all the chips.
I have flashed it to latest firmware.
I have very stable internet connection.

Anyone have advice for me?

After 5min:
After 10min:
HW error:

Hi,

If it were me, I would do the following moonshots before going the drastic RMA route:

1) Base miner performance on at least   1 - 2 hours of continuous operation.
2) Consistent with 1) Try at least 2 other pools like BTCguild and eligius. Try both european and US servers.
3) Compare the S3 hash rate with the pool hash rate
4) Don't take your internet connection for granted. Go over to a friends house with a different internet provider and test and use their CAT cables if you can. It's easy to break the cable connector clip which retains the plug.
5) Get a DVM and measure the wall plug voltage. You may have some sort of voltage sag.
6) Finally, in the US you can buy or borrow a cheap LED plug which tells you if the wall socket is properly grounded. Borrow the equivalent gizmo for the UK.

GL
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Here is my DIY thread for sizing/finding a Power Supply for S3 or any other dc device.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diy-allcoinminers-power-supply-sizing-guide-732106

Thank you, that's a very useful guide. Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
CX750 is perfectly fine for OC S3 and better option than the CX750M for an OC S3 IMO.
4 SEPERATE PCI-E connections = CX750
2 SEPERATE PCI-E CONNECTIONS = C750M
I am OC S3@225 on both CX750 and CX750M though. Cables on M with 4 connection to S3 are still totally cool to touch in my environment. Still wish I had bought only CX750 now that I have S3's on them instead of S1's

Is there anyone here that can post what PSU they have and if its powering an overclocked antminer s3?
I am a dumb girl that can't figure out this whole PSU situation
I can't choose between a CX500, CX600 or CX750 per antminer.
The cost between those power supplies are quite a bit for me.
HELP!

WHAT CONFUSES ME IS THAT SOME PEOPLE SAY I SHOULD GET A PSU WITH 4 SEPERATE PCI-E connections.
SOME PEOPLE SAY THE ANTMINER S3 will overclock well on 2 SEPERATE PCI-E CONNECTIONS.

I can't choose!

JennaK, I am using a CX750 with the 4 PCI-E connected.
Was able to overclock to 250 and get more hashing but the temperature goes high 4 degrees in each board so I went back to 218.75 to avoid burning it before get my ROI.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about, none of this is making any sense. Everyone is strongly suggesting using 4 pcie connectors instead of 2, yet they then give the above example.

In the above example, they might as well be using two pcie connectors instead of four. I have 2 cx750s, they have two double pcie connectors. Just because they have two pcie connectors on one pcie cable does not two pcie cables make. Those two pcie connectors are going to be heating up that one pcie wire just as much as if you plugged in one of the connectors. So yeah, you now have 4 pcie plugs but the temps are the same as two pcie plugs. Am I missing something?

Under the above example I would need 2 cx750s to power one overclocked antminer.

There is no sense in asking these PSU questions again and again.
A lot of times here explained how to size the power supply for any device by your own.
Its as simple as driving a glass of chilled beer. Its not a rocket science.
I'm writing a thread on how to size psu for any miner and will post the link here soon.

Here is my DIY thread for sizing/finding a Power Supply for S3 or any other dc device.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diy-allcoinminers-power-supply-sizing-guide-732106
CX750 is perfectly fine for OC S3 and better option than the CX750M for an OC S3 IMO.
I am OC S3@225 on both CX750 and CX750M though. Cables on M with 4 connection to S3 are still totally cool to touch in my environment. Still wish I had bought only CX750 now that I have S3's on them instead of S1's

Is there anyone here that can post what PSU they have and if its powering an overclocked antminer s3?
HELP!

WHAT CONFUSES ME IS THAT SOME PEOPLE SAY I SHOULD GET A PSU WITH 4 SEPERATE PCI-E connections.
SOME PEOPLE SAY THE ANTMINER S3 will overclock well on 2 SEPERATE PCI-E CONNECTIONS.

I can't choose!

Was able to overclock to 250 and get more hashing but the temperature goes high 4 degrees in each board so I went back to 218.75 to avoid burning it before get my ROI.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about, none of this is making any sense. Everyone is strongly suggesting using 4 pcie connectors instead of 2, yet they then give the above example.

In the above example, they might as well be using two pcie connectors instead of four. I have 2 cx750s, they have two double pcie connectors. Just because they have two pcie connectors on one pcie cable does not two pcie cables make. Those two pcie connectors are going to be heating up that one pcie wire just as much as if you plugged in one of the connectors. So yeah, you now have 4 pcie plugs but the temps are the same as two pcie plugs. Am I missing something?

Under the above example I would need 2 cx750s to power one overclocked antminer.

There is no sense in asking these PSU questions again and again.
A lot of times here explained how to size the power supply for any device by your own.
Its as simple as driving a glass of chilled beer. Its not a rocket science.
I'm writing a thread on how to size psu for any miner and will post the link here soon.
How much thermal paste do you need when cleaning out a S3 and reapplying?

What data should I look for when buying thermal paste?

I'm having difficulty finding specs to paste I have access here, one only says Specific Gravity: 2.49 g/cm3, another Heat Conduction: >4,5 W/m-k, and others don't provide any info at all.

As per bitmaintech support, look for heat conductivity above 3.
Look for a good brand and its should be zero electrical conductive and zero capacitive.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!
How much thermal paste do you need when cleaning out a S3 and reapplying?

What data should I look for when buying thermal paste?

I'm having difficulty finding specs to paste I have access here, one only says Specific Gravity: 2.49 g/cm3, another Heat Conduction: >4,5 W/m-k, and others don't provide any info at all.
Activity: 27
Activity: 42
I bought 2 CX600 instead as they were cheap!!!
Activity: 125

HELP!

I can't choose!

Activity: 29
HELP!

I can't choose!

Activity: 84
HELP!

I can't choose!

Activity: 84
I have a blade that works 3 C higher than the other how do I know physically which one is?

Will like to check the thermal paste on it and don't want to take out the one that is fine.

HELP!

I can't choose!
Activity: 125
Testing 237.5 on one B4 now. I think the HW errors are going to be way too high. This one has been fine at 225.
Anyone know if I can power one AntMiner from two different PSUs? I have two AntMiner s3 connected with 4 PCI cables each and over clocked.. I still have room inbetween my two cx750s
Is it possible?
  if you do it correctly yes.

if you do it wrong short dead gear

Well correctly would be to put one pci e cable on each side right?
Pages:
Jump to: