Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitminter bitcoin mining pool - shutdown mining 2020-07-01 website 2021-06-01 - page 13. (Read 324661 times)

Activity: 136
Merit: 2
I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but these long gaps between blocks are likely to get more frequent i would think unless the pool grows rapidly enough to keep up with the increasing difficulty. Given that possibility, would it be possible to look at paying out the fees every ten shifts or so? That way we get a little bit back every now and then no matter what.  I honestly have no clue what that would amount to.

The problem is, with PPLNSG, only the LAST 10 shifts get paid...so in this case the many shifts which were completed before the last 10 will receive nothing in exchange for their work. The only way to provide a payment to EVERYONE is to treat this like a completely different pool, which I don't believe is the goal. Many people are here because they prefer the PPLNSG Format, and in addition, believe in supporting smaller pools so that we remain decentralized. If more users come, then of course we will theoretically find blocks faster, but users will receive less BTC for their share due to having to spread the love to all the workers.

I guess I might be misunderstanding your question or thought, but it sounds like you are looking for more of a PPS pool which pays you per share no matter the luck of the pool. The biggest downside to these other than the obvious centralization issue, would be the higher fees that are charged to maintain that type of pool. Pool operators of PPS must pay the reward per share and to cover the times of bad luck, they charge higher fees. It's just the nature of the beast.

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
I don't know if this has been brought up before or not, but these long gaps between blocks are likely to get more frequent i would think unless the pool grows rapidly enough to keep up with the increasing difficulty. Given that possibility, would it be possible to look at paying out the fees every ten shifts or so? That way we get a little bit back every now and then no matter what.  I honestly have no clue what that would amount to.
Activity: 10
This block is getting ridicolous. It serms that a few people just gave up. The total hash rate has dropped a bit.
Activity: 44
Well, it's 2am in the good old UK.

And I predict this block will fall on its arse by 6am my time.

Last 4 hours, here we go!!  Undecided Shocked Grin
Activity: 72
I know, I know, but it is still a brutal block.
Which is the real advantage of setting the minimum difficulty? Will it result in a lower rejected proof of works? Will it lower also the accepted proofs of works because of their higher difficulty? That's a thing that I never worried about but I'm wondering if should I be setting something to have better performance in some ways.
Thanks in advance to anyone that will explain me that.
It has no effect on performance, only the feedback you receive from the pool e.g. your hash rate.

I see, thanks for the info Mikestang.
Can I just vent?

I asked for a miner for Xmas. I got it.

Plugged it in to Bitminter on 12/22.

Found a block on 12/26 which paid me about 2 shifts worth.

Ever since... Crickets.

Actually, not crickets... It sounds like a nonstop vacuum cleaner in the next room.

Sigh.

Long live Satoshi Nakamoto.

Hang in there. I started my miners up on January 5th, so I didn't even get the luxury of the 2 shifts worth. Once we pop this one we'll move on and start rolling in the luck. If we're lucky  Grin
Activity: 6
Can I just vent?

I asked for a miner for Xmas. I got it.

Plugged it in to Bitminter on 12/22.

Found a block on 12/26 which paid me about 2 shifts worth.

Ever since... Crickets.

Actually, not crickets... It sounds like a nonstop vacuum cleaner in the next room.

Sigh.

Long live Satoshi Nakamoto.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Which is the real advantage of setting the minimum difficulty? Will it result in a lower rejected proof of works? Will it lower also the accepted proofs of works because of their higher difficulty? That's a thing that I never worried about but I'm wondering if should I be setting something to have better performance in some ways.
It has no effect on performance, only the feedback you receive from the pool e.g. your hash rate.
Doc did we ban rental hash? I haven't been able to get any rentals to connect for about a day now. Just checking to see if there was a change.

No. Maybe it's complaining about low difficulty? Try setting the minimum difficulty on the worker you are using for rentals to 1048576. On the workers page, click the gear icon to access these settings.

It was not a difficulty issue as I have multiple rental "Workers" set to different difficulties since it can take up to 20 minutes to apply the settings. Essentially I have a 1, a 100k, etc. I tried to connect to each of them independently but no dice. I just wasn't sure if the issue was pool side, in that we made a change, or rig side. The biggest concern I had is that I had used the rigs before here and it worked flawlessly. When I tried it yesterday neither rig would connect. Ended up costing me a bit since technically they classified it as a pool issue since the rig was online and would have hashed at other pools.

I haven't tried setting one to 1048576, that seems pretty high. The majority of the rentals I look at suggest from 30k to 120k, which is why I have the 100k worker and the standard 1 worker, and then a 36 or 60k worker to have a nice balance of options. I guess I can try a worker with the higher difficulty you suggest and see what happens.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
There is a new shift as I see. Is that means if a block found I will receive nothing for mining for a month (I stopped my S7 about a week ago) ?

It depends how the shifts look when the block is found. If we find a block now and you have work in 9 shifts then you get paid for those.
Activity: 3
Your work gets registered in shifts. When someone mining in the pool finds a block you get paid. Your share of the coins from the block depends on your share of the work done in the last 10 completed shifts. If you stopped mining then after a while there will be new shifts where you have done no work.

There is a new shift as I see. Is that means if a block found I will receive nothing for mining for a month (I stopped my S7 about a week ago) ?
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
Your work gets registered in shifts. When someone mining in the pool finds a block you get paid. Your share of the coins from the block depends on your share of the work done in the last 10 completed shifts. If you stopped mining then after a while there will be new shifts where you have done no work.
Activity: 3
Hi,

Right now I am stopped my S7 because right now I lose money when I am mining (I have too expensive electricity). What I mined for this round is not lost, right?

Thanks
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
Doc did we ban rental hash? I haven't been able to get any rentals to connect for about a day now. Just checking to see if there was a change.

No. Maybe it's complaining about low difficulty? Try setting the minimum difficulty on the worker you are using for rentals to 1048576. On the workers page, click the gear icon to access these settings.
Be nice to be able to see this info. I mean like the proofs of work of  our own plus other users. So we could research  it. With best share for curent round and past rounds.

Here ya go...1 out of hundreds of miners on this pool, but my best share is 7273377781. I suck.
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
Be nice to be able to see this info. I mean like the proofs of work of  our own plus other users. So we could research  it. With best share for curent round and past rounds.

You can see the total amount of work in the live stats. The best share of past rounds is always the block we found. We don't record a "best share so far" for the current round though.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Pages:
Jump to: