Pages:
Author

Topic: Block chain size/storage and slow downloads for new users - page 10. (Read 228612 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
Like, how about every 4 years when the reword is halved, run a script that compresses all Bitcoin transactions down to just the addresses that actually have money
The problem with your plan is that addresses don't exist on the blockchain, much less have a balance.

I think that you are on the wrong forum because your comment doesn't make any sense. Of course blocks have address and balances. They may not be in a list like I'm talking about. But that's just an example. The developers would have to adapt it to work in that situation.

There really is no object like a balance of an address in Bitcoin. When you think you spend x from your address, you really spend from prior transactions that spent to your address but to spend it, you don't need the address but its public key and a signature using your private key. If the "address" was a script hash, things are slightly more complicated. You would have to present the script that hashes to said script hash and then provide whatever the script asks for. That might be 3 signatures.

So in a sense justusranvier is right and you old maid may check if you are on the right forum.
Activity: 131
Merit: 19
Krypton
Like, how about every 4 years when the reword is halved, run a script that compresses all Bitcoin transactions down to just the addresses that actually have money
The problem with your plan is that addresses don't exist on the blockchain, much less have a balance.

I think that you are on the wrong forum because your comment doesn't make any sense. Of course blocks have address and balances. They may not be in a list like I'm talking about. But that's just an example. The developers would have to adapt it to work in that situation.
Krypton

another problem with that is people may have a certain payment address they have given to customers to use in the future  etc even if it contains no balance right now ,they may well be expecting to use it in future and its too much hassle to give your customers 1 payment address and then have to tell them we need to usea difernt one now because the ...........................

what happens to transcations sent to addresses that no longer exist ?

i dont think this is the answer to the problem tbh .............

Thanks for your feedback. However that's not how Bitcoin works. There are billions of Bitcoin addresses out there that have no money attached to them. You don't need to register a number with Bitcoin to make it valid. The only addresses that matter are the ones in the blockchain with money. If I create a new address that's just a public and private key, there's nothing that needs to be registered in the blockchain unless it has money. So NO old addresses would be deleted you can still use whatever old address are out there. It would just look like a new address after the genesis block. Nothing would be lost. I'm just proposing a way to clean out some of the clutter.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum

another problem with that is people may have a certain payment address they have given to customers to use in the future  etc even if it contains no balance right now ,they may well be expecting to use it in future and its too much hassle to give your customers 1 payment address and then have to tell them we need to usea difernt one now because the ...........................

what happens to transcations sent to addresses that no longer exist ?

i dont think this is the answer to the problem tbh .............
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Krypton
There's nothing special about the old blocks from years ago. Besides the money that is in some of those old addresses. Why not just move them to a new block every so often and then just delete all the blocks behind that point. You don't need block 0 to verify block 2000 as long as everything below block 2000 is empty. Like, how about every 4 years when the reword is halved, run a script that compresses all Bitcoin transactions down to just the addresses that actually have money. That way a new genesis block is created every 4 years which just contains the addresses that matter. I don't think it would be that hard for all nodes to agree on a compression system like that.

^^^
                                          [BLOCK]
                                          [BLOCK]
                                          [BLOCK]
[BLOCK]         >>>>             [NEW GENESIS]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[BLOCK]
[GENESIS]
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
i just create another new accout in blockchain and input my blockchain backup
but it just can see my all Transaction history but btc is zero i found all of my old btc address
miss,does somebody knows why?
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Is there a list of active projects currently working on/using solutions to this issue?

Hopefully, the new update of Bitcoin core will resolve this. Waiting for it... Smiley

~~MZ~~
Activity: 25
Is there a list of active projects currently working on/using solutions to this issue?
Activity: 2
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Activity: 19
Problem solved  Smiley just made my first payout to my wallet and printed my first paper Bitcoin notes/backups, thanks Muhamned for the offered support
Agreed hence why Ive stuck it out with the block chain I now have 2 weeks left until hopefully the wallet syncs with the block chain which inturn will mean I don't have to alter my wallet
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
This, combined with off-chain transactions like https://inputs.io, gives me a lot of hope for Bitcoin.
Offchain wallets require you to have trust on the operator. The operator can run away with your money and claim that they were hacked. You will not have full control over your funds whereas, blockchain.info allows you to have full access over your private key, no one else have control over that. If the server of blockchain.info gets hacked, your coins are secure as private key are encrypted on the server. I would say blockchain.info or desktop wallet is the better choice over offchain wallets.
legendary
Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#
Multibit is an option to use bitcoin quickly
Yeah I haven't even requested a payout but seeing as the wallet is Armory the main problem is that the Block Chain is taking far too long to download. But I'd already locked the wallet address into Slush Pool from Armory and it's taken forever to download the block Chain so now it's either wait for the block chain to be downloaded so it can sync with Armory which is required or start over and change the wallet address. If it's possible Id prefer not to have to change the wallet address? But as it states you need the block chain for it to sync with Armory. With the block chain not being downloaded that's the main problem which if I'm correct this thread is aimed at that specific problem. If the block chain had of downloaded I could of left everything as it was.
Like I say I've already locked the wallet address in there having difficulty trying to unlock it I've sent a ticket into The guys at Slush's Pool a moments ago I've had no payouts to that address though so the wallet is empty in happy to use another wallet just need to figure out how to unlock it first then change the wallet address

As the wallet problem is solved, now the problem is about Slush's pool, so please don't post here about it - create a new thread if you want but it is better to wait for the support reply for the ticket. And, if you are telling that you have no BTC in the address as Armory doesn't show it, then just check it in an explorer because the wallet shows only if the blocks are synced atleast till the Block which included your TX.

Can you PM me what's wrong? I will try my best to help you. Smiley

~~MZ~~
Like I say I've already locked the wallet address in there having difficulty trying to unlock it I've sent a ticket into The guys at Slush's Pool a few moments ago I've had no payouts to that address though so the wallet is empty I'm happy to use another wallet just need to figure out how to unlock it first then change the wallet address
Hi thanks for the responses I'm currently mining in Slush's pool, if I used multibit would I have to change my wallet?

Thanks

If you started using an address which is in Armory, then dump the private keys - generate a paper back-up and then import it from Multibit. You are all set. If you haven't used address, then copy the address from Multibit and paste it in Slush's pool settings. Smiley

~~MZ~~
Hi thanks for the responses I'm currently mining in Slush's pool, if I used multibit would I have to change my wallet? As I've locked the Armory wallet address in Slush's Pool. Would using Multibit mean setting up a new wallet and changing my wallet address in Slush Pool? I've only built up about 0.15 so far but would prefer for that to be in my wallet.

Thanks
Hi People Currently a brand new Bitcoin miner, pool mining with a Bitmain Antminer S2 I've used Armory for my wallet and I'm currently downloading the block chain through Bitcoin Core. It's actually been downloading for over a week now. At first there was not enough memory on the Laptop to download the whole block chain but I've deleted plenty and it's still running really slowly I'm at 15 weeks but have been for a couple of days now! Any advice on whether I should start again or just ride it out?

Cheers HAWKEYE

Do yourself a favour and use multibit unless you need the entire blockchain for some reason

If it's stuck at 15 weeks for a couple of days its probably corrupted btw

Yes it may happen. And, another possibility is that you have some problem with your nodes. Try to read this https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/solved-bitcoin-qt-no-block-source-available-865237

@HAWKEYE481 : Are you mining on p2pool? Smiley

~~MZ~~
Pages:
Jump to: