Pages:
Author

Topic: Block chain size/storage and slow downloads for new users - page 7. (Read 228612 times)

Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Daniel P. Barron
I think I'll move my coins to blockchain.info, I cannot/ do not really want to run a core node consuming 30+ GB of HDD space.

That is a terrible idea.

Quote from: BingoBoingo
On their blog, Blockchain.info has disclosed that a routine update left them serving insecure code to customers using their wallet between 12:00 AM and 2:30 AM GMT today. All customers who used the Blockchain.info web wallet to interface to create wallets, generate addresses, or send transactions are reported to be affected. The problem given the scope appears to be that Blockchain.info was serving weak pseudo-random number generating software.

Based on the description this doesn't affect me. I guess there are plenty of people who are happy with their service overall.

Of course it effects you, unless it's possible to keep your own copy of the javascript and never let them serve you another (a practice I doubt you were employing). Every time you open up that site in your browser you're hoping that someone doesn't give you malicious javascript. It doesn't have to be on their end; if someone is able to compromise your communications channel they can serve you any code they want. And by 'they' I mean USG.
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
I think I'll move my coins to blockchain.info, I cannot/ do not really want to run a core node consuming 30+ GB of HDD space.

That is a terrible idea.

On their blog, Blockchain.info has disclosed that a routine update left them serving insecure code to customers using their wallet between 12:00 AM and 2:30 AM GMT today. All customers who used the Blockchain.info web wallet to interface to create wallets, generate addresses, or send transactions are reported to be affected. The problem given the scope appears to be that Blockchain.info was serving weak pseudo-random number generating software.

Based on the description this doesn't affect me. I guess there are plenty of people who are happy with their service overall.
Daniel P. Barron

That is a terrible idea.

Activity: 476
Merit: 251
Daniel P. Barron
Thank you for upgrading  Smiley

Yeah it's a lot easier to sync with the network when you don't bother getting all the data anymore. Kinda like how it's a lot easier to transport gold bars when you hollow them all out before-hand.
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Uh.. we're the ones who actually care about bitcoin; you're the ones trying to make a new one with your gavincoin hard fork nonsense. What do you think a hard fork is? It's a new chain! An altcoin! And it's already been proven that there's no such thing as cryptocurrencies.

I am not for 20 mb fork[1] even theymos has told in a neutral way. But... what you told about Satoshi made me to say that but no offence. Smiley

[1] It needs more investigation and some improvements.

-MZ
Daniel P. Barron
Why would you say it's of questionable quality and security? It has been verified by lots of people and the lead developer of Bitcoin. It would obviously be a good choice to use 0.9.3 as it is the most stable currently. You would just be wasting your time trying to make changes.

Uh.. so let me get this straight. 0.9.3 is the best version because its authors said so? Did you "verify" the code? I happen to know that real people have taken a look, and it's not pretty.

real people like who ?

http://therealbitcoin.org/mailman/listinfo/btc-dev

dont see any names .......

Scroll to the bottom of this document for the GPG key fingerprints. I'll go ahead and do your work for you:

See: signed code.

Or I suggest you to tell your REAL PEOPLE to create new Bitcoin. Smiley

Uh.. we're the ones who actually care about bitcoin; you're the ones trying to make a new one with your gavincoin hard fork nonsense. What do you think a hard fork is? It's a new chain! An altcoin! And it's already been proven that there's no such thing as cryptocurrencies.
Uh.. so let me get this straight. 0.9.3 is the best version because its authors said so? Did you "verify" the code? I happen to know that real people have taken a look, and it's not pretty. Satoshi wasn't a very good programmer, and the stooges that you call "lead developers" are even worse -- not because they lack expertise, but because they are good enough to actually do serious damage.

Take your "obviously"s and shove them up your USG hole.

Now you are telling Satoshi wasn't a good programmer! Cheesy I am liking you more. I suggest you to quit BITCOIN because it wasn't made by a good programmer and it isn't good. Or I suggest you to tell your REAL PEOPLE to create new Bitcoin. Smiley

-MZ
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Why would you say it's of questionable quality and security? It has been verified by lots of people and the lead developer of Bitcoin. It would obviously be a good choice to use 0.9.3 as it is the most stable currently. You would just be wasting your time trying to make changes.

Uh.. so let me get this straight. 0.9.3 is the best version because its authors said so? Did you "verify" the code? I happen to know that real people have taken a look, and it's not pretty.

real people like who ?

http://therealbitcoin.org/mailman/listinfo/btc-dev

dont see any names .......
Daniel P. Barron
I would strongly advise against using that codebase; it is of questionable quality and security. The Bitcoin Foundation recommends starting at version 0.5.3 and from there, applying some patches to remove some of the more obvious malicious bits of code.

That site isn't really Bitcoin Foundation's. Need solid news and proof.

-MZ

Here ya go.

Quote from: thestringpuller
Vessenes's Bitcoin Foundation maintains a notoriety for many questionable actions and behaviors. There is even a candidate running for the foundation's board on the platform of dissolution. Due to the oversights of Vessenes's Bitcoin Foundation, #bitcoin-assets recently formed its own foundation for the preservation of the Bitcoin reference implementation.
I would strongly advise against using that codebase; it is of questionable quality and security. The Bitcoin Foundation recommends starting at version 0.5.3 and from there, applying some patches to remove some of the more obvious malicious bits of code.

That site isn't really Bitcoin Foundation's. Need solid news and proof.

-MZ
Daniel P. Barron

Uh.. so let me get this straight. 0.9.3 is the best version because its authors said so? Did you "verify" the code? I happen to know that real people have taken a look, and it's not pretty. Satoshi wasn't a very good programmer, and the stooges that you call "lead developers" are even worse -- not because they lack expertise, but because they are good enough to actually do serious damage.

Take your "obviously"s and shove them up your USG hole.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
It has been solved with the current Beta release of Bitcoin core 0.10.

Review the code and build it yourself then. Why would you say it's of questionable quality and security? It has been verified by lots of people and the lead developer of Bitcoin. It would obviously be a good choice to use 0.9.3 as it is the most stable currently. You would just be wasting your time trying to make changes.
Daniel P. Barron

My blockchain very slow and spend a lot memory, i want to know how to the solution of matter said?

im also like that, any solution??

-MZ
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
I think there will be less nodes when the blockchain is getting bigger and bigger, resulting into centralization...

6615 nodes now

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/
There are nodes which have the max amount of connections and it won't be able to count those nodes. Also, it doesn't cost much to get a hard disk with at least 40gb of space, it is fairly cheap. There are people running nodes on servers which is recommended since they are reliable nodes which hardly ever goes down. Most home computers goes down every night. The network need more reliable nodes than unreliable ones.

I think the #of nodes with max connections are probably more than offset by 'useless' nodes... you know, I could have my home connection appear on that list, but since I have 768kbps upstream, it would benefit the network by doing two things,  jack and shit.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
I think there will be less nodes when the blockchain is getting bigger and bigger, resulting into centralization...

6615 nodes now

There are nodes which have the max amount of connections and it won't be able to count those nodes. Also, it doesn't cost much to get a hard disk with at least 40gb of space, it is fairly cheap. There are people running nodes on servers which is recommended since they are reliable nodes which hardly ever goes down. Most home computers goes down every night. The network need more reliable nodes than unreliable ones.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500

6615 nodes now

But in between the wallet that you mention what there is had the feature private keys like blockchain?

I didn't understood what you asked correctly. Yes, it has all features of Blockchain.info.

for all of these problems I hqve selected a online wallet

I hope you won't lose any BTC.

-MZ
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
for all of these problems I hqve selected a online wallet
Pages:
Jump to: