Pages:
Author

Topic: Blockchain split of 4 July 2015 - page 15. (Read 45591 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1087
July 04, 2015, 02:33:43 PM
Can you explain what happened to transactions that were recorded in the unintentional hard fork, which failed?

Invalid, went back to original address.

Only if they are not in the correct fork
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
July 04, 2015, 02:13:41 PM
Its safe as long as you wait for 30 confirmations on the BTC you are buying just in case.  When buying, don't give the guy the money until 30 confirmations.

Thanks for the reply, I am buying on local bitcoins, so I need to send money first ( to escrow ) they keep it there for like 70min's and I get the coins, hope everthing will go well..
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
July 04, 2015, 02:11:26 PM
Can you explain what happened to transactions that were recorded in the unintentional hard fork, which failed?

Invalid, went back to original address.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
July 04, 2015, 02:10:24 PM
Won't that be tons of years into the future ?

I think it'll just take another 2-3 halvings before miners won't be able to ignore the value of including transactions. Unfortunately, the days of the hobbyist miner are over. Large mining farms value short-term profit over blockchain health. Satoshi's halving schedule was a little too conservative.

2-3 halvings? I think that as early as next halving 50 BTC >> 25 BTC the 'miners' will change their actual tactic and start to accept everything without any insane rules .
Activity: 593
Merit: 250
July 04, 2015, 02:09:41 PM
legendary
July 04, 2015, 02:08:45 PM
Its safe as long as you wait for 30 confirmations on the BTC you are buying just in case.  When buying, don't give the guy the money until 30 confirmations.
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
July 04, 2015, 02:06:03 PM
Hi there,

Can someone tell me is it safe to accept and send BTC now, I am purchasing on localBitcoins now, and need to send them later today as a payment to another person..Is it safe to buy now and send to another person, what is this notice I have in my client "node software out of date"..Is it safe to trade now ?
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
July 04, 2015, 01:59:25 PM

I think it'll just take another 2-3 halvings before miners won't be able to ignore the value of including transactions. Unfortunately, the days of the hobbyist miner are over. Large mining farms value short-term profit over blockchain health. Satoshi's halving schedule was a little too conservative.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
July 04, 2015, 01:35:10 PM
Did blockchain.info updated their stuff? If not then please PM me when they do i need to send a transaction, but i`m scared to do it at the moment.

Also do bitcoin in safe storage compromized? I mean do i have to create a new address, are private keys compromized because of this?

Its safe to send.  If anything its the receiver that needs to wait for 30+ confirmations to ensure that he will retain the bitcoin.

Only the guy who controls the private keys of the address can double spend right?

Also excuse me for my noobness, but i`m not a tech person. How is it safe to send when blockchain.info hasnt updated their client, what if they send that bitcoin to the wrong blockchain, those coins are lost then arent they?  Grin
No, they stay in the addresses they were sent from since the transaction is invalid.
Activity: 574
Call me Alice. just Alice.
July 04, 2015, 01:29:35 PM
How long until we only need to wait for 1-6 Confirmations instead of 30 ? (i'm using a Trezor)
Activity: 686
July 04, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
so the spilt of fork is happening today, good away to celebrate independes day well for those in the U.S actually, it would be so nice to actually make some income from a node one day yea, time frame wise a decade .
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
July 04, 2015, 01:25:56 PM
Did blockchain.info updated their stuff? If not then please PM me when they do i need to send a transaction, but i`m scared to do it at the moment.

Also do bitcoin in safe storage compromized? I mean do i have to create a new address, are private keys compromized because of this?

Its safe to send.  If anything its the receiver that needs to wait for 30+ confirmations to ensure that he will retain the bitcoin.

Only the guy who controls the private keys of the address can double spend right?

Also excuse me for my noobness, but i`m not a tech person. How is it safe to send when blockchain.info hasnt updated their client, what if they send that bitcoin to the wrong blockchain, those coins are lost then arent they?  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003
July 04, 2015, 01:23:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when mining income is derived mostly from including transactions. Miners/pools who create empty blocks on purpose are bad for the blockchain.

I'm looking forward to the day when income can be made by running a full node.
legendary
July 04, 2015, 01:22:30 PM

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
July 04, 2015, 01:21:27 PM

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 04, 2015, 01:09:16 PM
Woah, glad I checked in the forums this morning.  Thanks so much for the heads up!

This forum is still one of the best places for getting fast heads up on stuff like this! Also good that they highlight it at the top of the forums.

Noticed that today too. But what would happen if forum goes down like last month? That is the reason I had to change my password because of this notice(highlighted) at the top too.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 04, 2015, 01:07:20 PM
So the Chines miners are creating invalid blocks but smart phone wallets and even website wallets can't tell they are invalid?
Knew the chins would ruin this somehow. Over doing it on mining now, like spoiled fruit.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
July 04, 2015, 01:06:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the day when mining income is derived mostly from including transactions. Miners/pools who create empty blocks on purpose are bad for the blockchain.

By creating problematic 0tx blocks (and reminding us that scaling Bitcoin isn't as simple as bloating a sanity-check constant), miners force the devs to invent better solutions.  Et voilà, anti-fragile!
Activity: 574
Call me Alice. just Alice.
July 04, 2015, 01:03:41 PM

legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
July 04, 2015, 12:56:27 PM
Pages:
Jump to: