Pages:
Author

Topic: Blockchain split of 4 July 2015 - page 19. (Read 45591 times)

Activity: 688
Merit: 565
July 04, 2015, 07:02:13 AM
Can someone explain why 0.9 bitcoind are not safe to use ? Won't they also catch up to the longest chain later ?
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
July 04, 2015, 06:59:23 AM
Did anybody else notice that (at the time of writing this) the 3 biggest pools have exactly 51% of the total hashrate between them?
I do not think it is relevant. Just an observation.

The top 4-5 Chinese pools have a lot more than 50%.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
July 04, 2015, 06:58:42 AM
Just saw the warning. Glad I did. I use Electrum for my hot wallet. (Not that I keep much in it anyway)

Is there any news on this? I've looked through the end of the thread -- this is where the warning points -- and it appears unresolved. Am I crazy or shouldn't this be an easy fix for these pools?

electrum uses nodes. go to console and check the status "This node is running bitcoind 0.10.0 with no scheduled restarts." < means you're good to go
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
July 04, 2015, 06:58:17 AM
I love how the problem was essentially fixed by the time I found this thread. The tech community is so efficient

It was solved promptly because Greg Maxwell (@nullc) and perhaps other devs were awake and carefully watching the blockchain for the BIP66 activation.  They spotted the problem right away and promptly warned the SPV miners.  

Had the devs been sleeping or busy at the time, the accident would have been nastier.
Activity: 595
Merit: 101
Chromia - Relational Blockchain
July 04, 2015, 06:54:05 AM
Anyone on SPV wallet question?

ARE SPV wallets (i.e. Multibit) safe?

Using anything other than official Bitcoin-Qt wallet (full node) is playing with fire. For the sake of saving 40GB of HDD space and to have a bit faster syncing you have massively increased a chance for all sort of troubles and you are actualy not contributing to network at all, just draining resources off of it and using up others' connection slots. As far as I know, SPV wallets are not relaying transactions or blocks, they are just like people on Torrent who download stuff but not share anything.

SPV wallets were Satoshi's idea. He knew they would be needed by people with low spec computers and metered internet connections. People have complained the Bitcoin core wallet can take a week to sync on a low power computer with a slow connection. They say if anything goes wrong whole it's syncing and the database gets corrupted you have to start the whole process again. My computer is too low power and has too little free memory to consider using the Bitcoin core wallet.

Not everyone has the choice to use the Bitcoin core wallet, some people have no option but to use SPV wallets.

"Here I have 100,000 USD and I'll put them at insecure and problematic bank because I have no money for better one".  Huh

Not everybody has 100'000 USD on its wallet (I wish I had, though). Especially if you want to have some petty money on the laptop, mobile or tablet, SPV wallets are pretty handy. I, for example, have one mobile phone which I use about five times a year. SPV is best for it...

There have been attempts to get the unbanked in third world countries to use Bitcoin. they would be lucky if they could afford the most basic Android phone there is. SPV wallets are the only option for them. You cannot tell them they should only use Bitcoin core because they probably don't own computers. What we might consider petty money on a mobile phone might be a lot of money to them.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
July 04, 2015, 06:53:23 AM
Just saw the warning. Glad I did. I use Electrum for my hot wallet. (Not that I keep much in it anyway)

Is there any news on this? I've looked through the end of the thread -- this is where the warning points -- and it appears unresolved. Am I crazy or shouldn't this be an easy fix for these pools?
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
July 04, 2015, 06:47:42 AM

Using anything other than official Bitcoin-Qt wallet (full node) is playing with fire. For the sake of saving 40GB of HDD space and to have a bit faster syncing you have massively increased a chance for all sort of troubles and you are actualy not contributing to network at all, just draining resources off of it and using up others' connection slots. As far as I know, SPV wallets are not relaying transactions or blocks, they are just like people on Torrent who download stuff but not share anything.

SPV wallets were Satoshi's idea. He knew they would be needed by people with low spec computers and metered internet connections. People have complained the Bitcoin core wallet can take a week to sync on a low power computer with a slow connection. They say if anything goes wrong whole it's syncing and the database gets corrupted you have to start the whole process again. My computer is too low power and has too little free memory to consider using the Bitcoin core wallet.

Not everyone has the choice to use the Bitcoin core wallet, some people have no option but to use SPV wallets.

"Here I have 100,000 USD and I'll put them at insecure and problematic bank because I have no money for better one".  Huh

Not everybody has 100'000 USD on its wallet (I wish I had, though). Especially if you want to have some petty money on the laptop, mobile or tablet, SPV wallets are pretty handy. I, for example, have one mobile phone which I use about five times a year. SPV is best for it...
legendary
Activity: 883
Merit: 1005
July 04, 2015, 06:45:01 AM
Whats really fucked up is that these chinese miners don't even want to use 1MB blocks and people are pushing for a 8MB hard fork.
Upping the max block size will not force these large pools into including more transactions, it could in fact have the opposite affect.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
July 04, 2015, 06:43:19 AM
there is also a warning on the forum(not for everyone) that is telling you to wait for 30 conf, before trusting a transaction, for those that are worried it is better to leave bitcoin alone for the moment, or upgrade to the last core version, if you're not using a light wallet
legendary
July 04, 2015, 06:38:46 AM

"Here I have 100,000 USD and I'll put them in lowest-security bank because I have no money for better one".  Huh

I use blockchain.info/mycelium as hot wallet and that's absolutely fine and needed in my opinion. however, I would never store a significant amount on them
legendary
July 04, 2015, 06:36:53 AM

With any luck the chinese miners will start to properly authenticate incoming blocks before they start to mine on them.  
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
July 04, 2015, 06:36:45 AM

Activity: 595
Merit: 101
Chromia - Relational Blockchain
July 04, 2015, 06:31:29 AM

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
July 04, 2015, 06:26:16 AM
so two chinese pools went unintentionally rogue and forked bitcoin. however, they made a rollback and fixed the problem, does that summarize the issue?

No.

They don't have upgraded our server for the BIP66 ...
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
July 04, 2015, 06:22:43 AM
even blockchain.info didn't detect these were bad blocks. You can't even trust them!

You should trust only 'yourself' and build/run your bitcoin client with the complete blockchain (and after compare the data).
legendary
July 04, 2015, 06:19:44 AM
even blockchain.info didn't detect these were bad blocks. You can't even trust them!
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
July 04, 2015, 06:19:25 AM

legendary
July 04, 2015, 06:17:53 AM
I have skimmed through all the posts in tis thread so far and cannot find much information to help those using multibit wallets. The two posts below are all I could find.

If I start my multibit wallet will it corrupt it if it connects to a node mining invalid blocks?

Will I have to download all the headers again if it gets corrupted?

Most normal Bitcoin users will be using light weight wallets like multibit, not Bitcoin core, so it's important we get some knowledgeable advice posted for light weight wallet users.

...If you have a SPV client, it will trust the miners to not do something stupid like this and thus it may be on the wrong side of a fork.  There is a small chance that you see a transaction with a few confirmations that doesn't make it to the 0.10.x chain.

Another update from Peter Todd:

"The majority of hashing power is now mining only valid blocks. However, SPV wallets are still vulnerable as they do no validation, and ~4% or so of hashing power is still mining invalid blocks. Don't trust txs in SPV wallets w/o >= 2 confirmations right now."

FYI-- no alert message with 0.10.2 now that I upgraded to test this node.

Thanks for the updates informations.

what are SPV wallets? multibit and other light desktop wallets? what about blockchain.info and other online services?
legendary
July 04, 2015, 06:13:55 AM

If your running any web based wallet I would not trust any incoming transactions with less then 20 confirmations. Because they could be orphaned by the network. Chines farms are spitting out a lot of trash these days in the hope they will make more money. They don't have the bandwidth to send out even 1mb blocks.
Activity: 707
Merit: 500
July 04, 2015, 06:11:38 AM

From this day forward I would say all web based wallets and smart phone wallets are NOT safe.

Unless, of course, the smartphone wallet is not a spv wallet.
All of myceliums server run updated bitcoin core versions Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: