Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin - page 4. (Read 27459 times)

Activity: 484
Merit: 500
NEat !
donator
Activity: 305
Merit: 250
Good luck!
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Further information on this project is now occurring on the thread on Rugutu:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Just posting an update on this thread ... there appears to be a party interested in building this:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin/3384
legendary
Further information on this project is now occurring on the thread on Rugutu:

- http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Sorry, haven't used rugatu before.  But sure, as long as the code is open source, works, and posted.

Bounty created  http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Rugatu pledges 1 bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Sounds very nice, but would require a special client used to meter the bandwidth and to sign/create these transactions, right?

It can just be built in to existing Android mobile clients. It's fair to ask that users have this, as that way it can be totally transparent ... users can end up on your wifi gateway without even realizing, if your fees are acceptable.

Automated payments are not currently possible.  This would likely require a second, independent wallet app made for the purpose.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
Sounds very nice, but would require a special client used to meter the bandwidth and to sign/create these transactions, right?

It can just be built in to existing Android mobile clients. It's fair to ask that users have this, as that way it can be totally transparent ... users can end up on your wifi gateway without even realizing, if your fees are acceptable.

Also, what happens if the Access Point thinks the user has used 100 MB of traffic, the user client thinks he has used only 99 MB of traffic though and refuses to "pay up"?

You buy access ahead of time in small amounts. The user can never be in bandwidth debt. They can have bought small amounts of traffic they didn't use, though.

It might work perfectly for per-minute flatrates though, maybe even for "per 10 seconds" types of contracts. Even per second maybe, though this might already start to have some timing issues (or packet loss issues!), especially with wireless connections.

The proposal on the wiki is per kilobyte. The negotiation is cheap enough for that to be feasible, I think.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

Also, what happens if the Access Point thinks the user has used 100 MB of traffic, the user client thinks he has used only 99 MB of traffic though and refuses to "pay up"? Overprovision by some percentage? Choke (=rate-limit) the client till he pays up? This might lead to some bad user experience if consequences are harsh and immediate or in some not-paid traffic (or whatever) if there iss too much leeway.

It might work perfectly for per-minute flatrates though, maybe even for "per 10 seconds" types of contracts. Even per second maybe, though this might already start to have some timing issues (or packet loss issues!), especially with wireless connections.

Something where this might also work out, would be a bitcoin powered online hosting provider...

For APs the biggest problem might be to get bitcoins you own into that client - either it has to access your wallet file or it has it's own single private key(s) pre-charged with some amount. One could sell pre-charged private keys at the counter in a cafe for example and the added benefit for the customer would then be that they can use up as much as they like of that and transfer the rest to their wallet and use these as "normal" bitcoins after their session ends.

That way, even if you sell access "vouchers" to the local W-LAN for 30 USD or so while 1 hour only costs 2 USD, they still can afterwards keep and use the remaining balance.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Sorry, haven't used rugatu before.  But sure, as long as the code is open source, works, and posted.

Bounty created  http://www.rugatu.com/questions/739/wi-fi-hotspot-enabled-by-bitcoin

Rugatu pledges 1 bitcoin.
legendary
If anyone wants to do this, they may be able to learn something from the Pirate Box project:
http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

+1, really cool project.

I have one, and it's pretty cool; but you will be surprised at how many consumer devices will refuse to cooperate with it.  Both Amazon Kindles & Apple products need to be able to communicate with their parent companies servers in order to do much of anything, which kinda makes them useless with the piratebox.  Android phones don't seem to care, and can happily upload & download without complaint.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
If anyone wants to do this, they may be able to learn something from the Pirate Box project:

+1, really cool project.

Indeed. I always have at least two in stock Tongue
donator
Activity: 256
Happy New Year!

+1, really cool project.
donator
Is this bounty still in progress ?

I think there are varying requirements for what would earn the bounty so probably what would be useful is to have each bounty offered list the requirements.

I have a use case where a bounty would be offered, but I haven't put the specs for it together yet.  It will be along the lines of:

The ability to share a router for use by the operator for internal use as well as offering access commercially.

Software License: [flexible, GPL or BSD]
Hardware supported: [incomplete]  (probably WRT54G, etc., also Ubiquity Nanostation2)
Payment methods: Both Bitcoin or Voucher Code (i.e., a code for a 2 hour pass, 1 day pass, etc.)
Private access: Second SSID for internal use, WPA2 protection
LAN /ethernet: Full access
WLAN DHCP: Supported (optional)
WLAN Static IP: Supported (optional)
Remote admin: Supported (optional)

I'm probably forgetting a few details.

Sounds pretty good to me.  Ditto on the Open Source.

I am still in for 10BTC

Maybe we should do a bounty question on rugatu, would you still be in ?

Sorry, haven't used rugatu before.  But sure, as long as the code is open source, works, and posted.
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
My only requirement is Open Source
legendary

I think there are varying requirements for what would earn the bounty so probably what would be useful is to have each bounty offered list the requirements.

I have [Edit: had] a use case where a bounty would be offered [Edit: I'm no longer a backer for a bounty], but I haven't put the specs for it together yet.  It will be along the lines of:

The ability to share a router for use by the operator for internal use as well as offering access commercially.

Software License: [flexible, GPL or BSD]
Hardware supported: [incomplete]  (probably WRT54G, etc., also Ubiquity Nanostation2)
Payment methods: Both Bitcoin or Voucher Code (i.e., a code for a 2 hour pass, 1 day pass, etc.)
Private access: Second SSID for internal use, WPA2 protection
LAN /ethernet: Full access
WLAN DHCP: Supported (optional)
WLAN Static IP: Supported (optional)
Remote admin: Supported (optional)

I'm probably forgetting a few details.
I am still in for 10BTC

Maybe we should do a bounty question on rugatu, would you still be in ?
donator
I am still in for 10BTC
I'll pay up at least...

Quoted for future reference  Smiley

Maybe, maybe not.  Build it and find out.

It's an interesting project and with very high potential, hope we see it done some day.
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
I'll pay up at least...
legendary

Maybe, maybe not.  Build it and find out.
Pages:
Jump to: