Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin - page 6. (Read 27459 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
how did you get to ssh port tunnel? that is totally unrelated...

It's a solution to the problem.  Rather than run a bitcoind on the hotspot hardware or use an api to do it with an overlay network, simply forward bitcoin ports from the hotspot hardware directly to a full bitcoind that you control.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
how did you get to ssh port tunnel? that is totally unrelated...
legendary
You wouldn't need a full bitcoind, only to be able to do the bootstrapping of bitcoind, find a few valid nodes and send the transaction there. I guess in most cases 0 confirmations would be enough anyways... I don't know if an invalid transaction fails silently though or if the other nodes would complain if you got a fake transaction and relayed them there.

Also a possibility: Let the admin input a list of n adresses that are used for single transactions + a warning when the address pool is starting to run low. Check via blockexplorer or other services for transactions in the network or fulfilled payments.

The best and probably easiest solution would still be the LAN bitcoind I guess though. Please make it send it's traffic as fast as possible (so someone can get the whole block chain quickly if necessary).

+1 BTC from me if the solution: Works on Open WRT and DD WRT, is able to traffic shape the paying users (e.g. at least 50 kB/s per user, up to 500 kB/s for all users) and is Open Source, hosted on GitHub.

Hi, for sending you are right, in theory you dont need to allow a complete tunnelling of the bitcoin protocol. however, what I meant with running bitcoind on the hotspot device was that the owner needs to confirm the incoming transaction. As I also stated, this could be done with some other pc/vps that can be queried via RPC.

Or just a port foraeding over a ssh tunnel.
You wouldn't need a full bitcoind, only to be able to do the bootstrapping of bitcoind, find a few valid nodes and send the transaction there. I guess in most cases 0 confirmations would be enough anyways... I don't know if an invalid transaction fails silently though or if the other nodes would complain if you got a fake transaction and relayed them there.

Also a possibility: Let the admin input a list of n adresses that are used for single transactions + a warning when the address pool is starting to run low. Check via blockexplorer or other services for transactions in the network or fulfilled payments.

The best and probably easiest solution would still be the LAN bitcoind I guess though. Please make it send it's traffic as fast as possible (so someone can get the whole block chain quickly if necessary).

+1 BTC from me if the solution: Works on Open WRT and DD WRT, is able to traffic shape the paying users (e.g. at least 50 kB/s per user, up to 500 kB/s for all users) and is Open Source, hosted on GitHub.

Hi, for sending you are right, in theory you dont need to allow a complete tunnelling of the bitcoin protocol. however, what I meant with running bitcoind on the hotspot device was that the owner needs to confirm the incoming transaction. As I also stated, this could be done with some other pc/vps that can be queried via RPC.

As for accepting 0/unconf transactions with this, as long as the tx is valid(it wont show up in the receivers client if it is invalid), I would consider the risk minimal - at least lower than the risk of people performing a chargeback(friendly fraud) when paying with their credit card or gaypal account.

However, long story short, I developed a similar solution about a year ago, on a D-Link DWL 622AP using openwrt. The DWL is a very small device with 2 megs of Flash, and 8 megs of RAM, so my solution should work on any openwrt device, since the 622AP is pretty much as low as it gets when speaking of system resources. I remember I solved the captive portal task back then by adding a firewall rule for new connected clients that redirected all traffic to the router itself, and remembered clients by mac and user/pass combo(having the mac enabled for as long as the wifi connection persists + 2 hours, after that asking for user and pass again). So what needs to be done is adding an little proxy that will connect bitcoind on the client machines to our payment gateway bitcoin, a teensy piece of code to verify incoming transactions, and nicer pages for the frontend(webdesign isnt really my thing). If need is there, an admin panel would need to be written too.

If there is still interest, and the bounties are still up, I might consider reopening this project for BTC.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

seems like there is some serious interest in this. I might consider looking through my old sources again.

However, you will not be able to do this without a second machine(on the internet or in your local establishment), since bitcoind eats way to much memory even for recent routers. it would be well possible though to have a bitcoind on some cheap vps that the router connects to via RPC to confirm transactions. As for the bitcoin payment itself, it isnt really hard to tunnel bitcoin without enabling malicious users to tunnel voluntary traffic over it.

If that would make anyone of the donors here happy, please respond.
Activity: 533
^Bitcoin Library of Congress.
watching
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink

Is that a real worry ?

In the last year I think my router has been off for a total of 3 minutes..  

I would hazard a guess a lot of people are like me.

And on top of that, why not pay in smaller amounts... ?  15 mins..  30 mins... big whoop, I dont think this would be very expensive for the end user paying for access
Well, someone mentioned "mobile hotspots".  If I'm connecting to one, how do I know it's a router, and not someone's mobile hotspot?  Or wireless-sharing mobile phone?
Activity: 695
Merit: 502
PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38
+1 btc if the software is free
+1 btc for Hotspot or Android firmware/app to profit from.
(while 1 btc < $10 USD)
Sounds a lot like FON (http://corp.fon.com/en/this-is-fon). Haven't looked at it for awhile, so I'm not sure what stage it's at or whether could be tweaked to accept bitcoin.
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink

Is that a real worry ?

In the last year I think my router has been off for a total of 3 minutes..  

I would hazard a guess a lot of people are like me.

And on top of that, why not pay in smaller amounts... ?  15 mins..  30 mins... big whoop, I dont think this would be very expensive for the end user paying for access
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
I think the biggest concern about being able to set up a mobile hotspot is the possibility of that mobile hotspot leaving/going down/shutting off/etc.  I mean, I'd be pissed if I paid for 60 minutes of access, and then 2 minutes later, the person running the mobile hotspot jumps on a plane and shuts off their device.

So, solve that problem please, then I'm onboard.  Wink
legendary
Well, I guess no one is willing to sell me a preconfigured router then..   oh well...  Ill give someone else my bitcoins...   Roll Eyes

Preconfigured is a different requirement than doesn't require linux.
Well, I guess no one is willing to sell me a preconfigured router then..   oh well...  Ill give someone else my bitcoins...   Roll Eyes
legendary
providing someone can walk me through making it work without using linux.

that's a practical impossibility.
Windows RT router anyone? LOL

good luck with that.
Activity: 742

Windows RT router anyone? LOL
legendary

I would like to add 10 BTC to the Bounty, providing someone can walk me through making it work without using linux.

I am EXTREMELY interested in seeing this happen...

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Closed without comment  Embarrassed
status changed from new to closed
resolution set to invalid

Seems we have to do it on our own then Smiley

You cannot just throw some random buzzword laden idea in the tracker hoping the devs will jump on it and guess what you mean and how it should be implemented.
And they are right. Start a discussion on their forums, with details of how it would work and how it would be implemented. A bug tracker is for bugs, not features.
Also, bitcoin is a buzzword. Grin
Activity: 488
Closed without comment  Embarrassed
status changed from new to closed
resolution set to invalid

Seems we have to do it on our own then Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: