Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty 20 BTC: Wi-Fi Hotspot, enabled by bitcoin - page 5. (Read 27459 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Is this bounty still in progress ?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
How'd they be able to pay with bitcoin if they don't have internet to begin with? Tongue

Would it be possible to have a way that people can access the bitcoin network, but nothing else for free?

Maybe some sort of white listing?

Of course.  There are a number of different ways to do that.  Unblock only bitcoin ports & whitelist bitcoin related websites, and simply open wide after payment.  A lot of people would pay just to unblock facebook & twitter, so you could just block those sites until paid.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
How'd they be able to pay with bitcoin if they don't have internet to begin with? Tongue

Would it be possible to have a way that people can access the bitcoin network, but nothing else for free?

Maybe some sort of white listing?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
I would do the payment receiving using the electrum model... And in a way where you have the private keys offline, and you create the bitcoin addresses and public keys only on the router. And then query the balance on electrum servers.
donator
Activity: 305
Merit: 250
I will raise my bounty up to 10, but the software will need to be open source.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
Would be cool if this was combined with piratebox functionality so you could share files and chat locally.  Smiley
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
Nice to see someone taking this seriously..

my +10 is on the condition that even an idiot like me can install it on a compatible router..  and of course the program cost falls under the 10...

I dont care how I get a router working with it, Im flexible..

But my offer stands at a +10 on the bounty..
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
So the running total is 35 BTC, right?
+1 BTC if open source
There were some other +1's back there... we're at about a 200 USD bounty right now

I think the OP's offer (20 BTC) was more than a year ago, so maybe there needs to be a check to make sure the offer is still good.  The other (10 BTC + 5 BTC + 1 BTC (conditional) + 1 BTC (conditional)) are more recent.

Depending on what the deliverable is, I know there is interest in this that would raise the bounty a bit.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
So the running total is 35 BTC, right?
+1 BTC if open source
There were some other +1's back there... we're at about a 200 USD bounty right now

Edit: I'm no longer offering this. Let me know if someone seriously attempts this and has escrow set up, though.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
legendary
Activity: 2618
...or just do it via bit-pay.com. Wink

They charge 0.99% on pure bitcoin transactions though.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
to avoid running bitcoind, the wifi router could forward the transaction to an Electrum server, and get confirmations from it.
I am interested in this project and I can provide technical assistance towards such a solution.

This had crossed my mind also. It is an ideal application for a lite client, like ThomasV's Electrum. Maybe blockchain.info and the iOS app has some merit also.

Maybe a viable business model is to provide multiple bitcoind backends on remote servers, use stratum to communicate with the wifi routers lite clients and take care of install, billing, maintenance, etc for anybody wants to get paid for one-click install public access wifi sharing on their router? The business gets a small cut from many (maybe many many many) routers and the router/access owners get all the "s/ware bitcoin stuff" just done for them and a bitcoin check in the mail every month. Kind of like a wifi router sharing pool.
Activity: 743
first email i get from Fon.com
It's not the first time we have been asked to adapt Bitcoin through our Fon community. The main problem we have found is that Bitcoin is still a small community and because the number of private hotspots at Fon is also minimal (very few out of the 5M we have) it doesn't make sense to have a new means of payment for so little gain. In addition the tributation is still very unclear on this digital currency. That doesn't mean that if one day bitcoin reaches the mass market we can adopt it.
second email i get from Fon.com
I'll forward this to my colleagues of Business Development and they'll see if adding bitcoin is worth it. They studied the case before and the answer was no, but I'll forward them the link https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7998.0;all
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
to avoid running bitcoind, the wifi router could forward the transaction to an Electrum server, and get confirmations from it.
I am interested in this project and I can provide technical assistance towards such a solution.
Activity: 812
Problem i see is that at least in Germany you are legally getting into trouble if someone does illegal things from your wifi - so-called "Störerhaftung"...

Run everything through VPN. Include the feature in the router, that allows automatic VPN usage.

In Germany, VPN is required in every case, since otherqwise the media companies can send you bills for bittorrent downloads Cheesy
Activity: 488
I really like this idea.
Suggestion:
As long as the initial connection allows to connect to the bitcoin network (bitcoin ports are open) you could spare some effort by using the bitcoinmonitor.net solution. Setup like 100 addresses in the router that are given to users in a round-robin fashion. Register these addresses with an agent at bitcoinmonitor.net. Receive a http callback from the agent as soon as the coins are incoming. Allow full access to user.
This way the only thing you need on the router is the ability to accept incoming http payment confirmations and some simple logic to connect user sessions to bitcoin addresses - no need to relay transactions or similar stuff related to bitcoin protocol.

Problem i see is that at least in Germany you are legally getting into trouble if someone does illegal things from your wifi - so-called "Störerhaftung"...
donator
Activity: 305
Sounds like a cool idea.  is the bounty at 30 now?  I will chip in 5 to make it 35.
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
That bounty thing is encouraging, so today i started working to accomplish this. I'm working on the nodogsplash solution on top of openwrt, so when this is finished we will only need to install a simple package (it should be compatible with openwrt and ddwrt) Smiley

It is on a very early stage (yet), but it is capable of granting you access to the network using btc Smiley I will publish all the sources and stuff in the next few days, when i get this to a more mature state Cheesy
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
OP, bump bounty to 30 btc.. Im good for the extra 10.. 

Im actually good for a lot more than that..  but 30 is good for now...  Wink
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
how did you get to ssh port tunnel? that is totally unrelated...

It's a solution to the problem.  Rather than run a bitcoind on the hotspot hardware or use an api to do it with an overlay network, simply forward bitcoin ports from the hotspot hardware directly to a full bitcoind that you control.
Yup. SSH can be used for a cheap and secure VPN.
Pages:
Jump to: