Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS+ support thread - page 4. (Read 2202 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
March 13, 2023, 05:58:47 PM
That's the issue: I did hash (on first run, no fans connected except the big one that BraiinsOS+ does not 'know' about). I will try this again with a new / repurposed SD card at some stage. Please let me know how exactly you would like me to test it if you think it depends on something or another. It looks like BraiinsOS+ was/is ignoring that 'Enable Immersion Mode' is not selected on first run.

I would like to 'build a library' of settings'. What is the best way to do that?

BraiinsOS+ is very good at optimising hashrate, but I would like to be able to turn on different optimised setting quickly.

For example:

"Minimum noise' cause I'll be sitting next to the miner for some hours today".
"Maximum Hashrate, I have free electricity toady".
"Maximum Efficiency"

Questions:
My assumption is at this stage that BraiinsOS+ will only remember the most recent completed tuning result, is that correct?
Would it be the easiest method to etch a number of SD cards and then run the auto tuning process for the desired (and previously tested) setting on each SD card? Then label the cards and put in the one I want?
Do I remember correctly that the SD card must be 16GB?

The default configuration is minimum required fans 1, as long as you have 1 fan or spoofer plugged, it will hash unless it overheats and stops due to reaching Dangerous temperature.

It will save all the profiles. So you can tune it for low power, and when stable, switch back to the default quickly, and to the low power quickly.

No, because every miner is slightly different, main reason autotune by Braiins OS+ is unique while others take shortcuts which are not as efficient or adapt to your real chip situation in real time 24/7.

16g is what the manufacturer says. I presume it may work with 32gb as long as its sdhc and NOT sdxc, but smaller sizes are safer.

womanderful: Yes that's the general idea, and the steps are 1 watt. But you should double check by measuring at the wall, since its only an estimation, and in the case of the x19 family, higher chip temperature will make it use more power while producing the same hashrate. Min and max values depend on miner model / submodel / variant. You can also just disable one or two hashboards (each hashboard gets 1/3 if this value). Or you could just pause the mining completely and resume hashing later.

Support has vastly increased compared to previous versions, at least using the bbb or Zynq control boards, almost all x19 should work now, except the jpro+ because that's too recent, or the S19i and S19+ from being too rare.
Activity: 490
Merit: 473
March 13, 2023, 02:50:21 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting hold of a miner supported by Braiins OS+ and use it to mine bitcoin using solar excess power. Summer is coming to the north hemisphere 🌞

From what I can gather in docs.braiins.com, I can edit /etc/bosminer.toml and set psu_power_limit to limit the amount of power that the miner will use. IIUC, this allows me to say "ok, I have 3000 watts available and am using 1500 at home, so I can divert 1500 to the miner", then set "psu_power_limit = 1500" and maybe restart something.

Is the above correct?

If it is, what's the minimum step that psu_power_limit accepts? Can I set it to eg. 258 watts? Or do I need to jump from 100 to 150? Or jump from 100 to 200?
Activity: 199
Merit: 37
March 11, 2023, 06:53:47 PM
0) Like i said, it won't hash. It leaves the red led on, and the log shows the error "0 < 1 fans... blah blah" What more warnings you need?

That's the issue: I did hash (on first run, no fans connected except the big one that BraiinsOS+ does not 'know' about). I will try this again with a new / repurposed SD card at some stage. Please let me know how exactly you would like me to test it if you think it depends on something or another. It looks like BraiinsOS+ was/is ignoring that 'Enable Immersion Mode' is not selected on first run.

I would like to 'build a library' of settings'. What is the best way to do that?

BraiinsOS+ is very good at optimising hashrate, but I would like to be able to turn on different optimised setting quickly.

For example:

"Minimum noise' cause I'll be sitting next to the miner for some hours today".
"Maximum Hashrate, I have free electricity toady".
"Maximum Efficiency"

Questions:
My assumption is at this stage that BraiinsOS+ will only remember the most recent completed tuning result, is that correct?
Would it be the easiest method to etch a number of SD cards and then run the auto tuning process for the desired (and previously tested) setting on each SD card? Then label the cards and put in the one I want?
Do I remember correctly that the SD card must be 16GB?

legendary
March 05, 2023, 09:57:45 AM
0) Like i said, it won't hash. It leaves the red led on, and the log shows the error "0 < 1 fans... blah blah" What more warnings you need?
1) For S9 it doesn't matter much, The S19 chips are much more sensitive to temperature fluctuations. DPS is optional but you should keep the target temperature (or less) at all times. Of course it should trigger if you fail to keep the miner cool, that's its purpose. The S9 family does not scale back up on its own even if temperature improves, it needs a bosminer restart (can be scheduled).
2) Its saved and reused as long as chips perform properly, chip performance is monitored 24/7. Sometimes a power fluctuation will make them misbehave and a full autotuning process may be invoked again.
3) Of course, that's the whole point of setting the power target. Each hashboard gets 1/3 of this value.
4) The autotuning will find it according to the power target specified. Each miner is unique and will give slightly different results.
5) Best user shared result was at 825W (set to 900) 60°C chip temp. Next best 1142W (set to 1150) 89°C. S9j 14.5 and S9i 14 gives the best results.

With S17 i have seen results as low as 29 J/T, S19 pro 25 J/T and S19j pro as low as 20 J/T (measured at the wall).
Note: S9 = 16nm, S17, S19 Pro 7nm, S19j Pro 5nm.

Rough average is 20% efficiency increase (meaning, use 20% less power at factory hashrates), usually more efficiency with lower power targets but it depends in the specific miner itself and chip temperature. No two hash boards have identical chips and only Braiins OS+ can find the most efficient result which is why its autotuning process is so involved unlike other wannabe imitations that not only use shortcuts that are suboptimal for the specific miner, they just "tune" and forget; without any care if the miner breaks later...
March 05, 2023, 12:58:35 AM

Questions:
2) Can the results of the auto-tuning be stored and then implemented quickly after a restart, or must it go through the whole tuning process every time? I ask because I plan to run comparatively inefficient miners like this one on 'free/stranded' electricity from solar panels. The miners will need to turn on and off frequently, or maybe ramp up and down their power use depending on SOC of solar battery, strength of solar irradiation and grid feed-in tarrifs, or when max allowed feed-in power is reached.

Rebooting the S9J with SD card with BraiinsOS+ in it has answered this question. Very neat!

March 04, 2023, 09:23:47 PM
The default values are correct. Bitmain changed the way S9 reports temperatures around 2017, basically subtracting 15°. The oldest firmware reports temperatures exactly the same as Braiins OS: as the sensors send it.

What warning? If it reaches hot fans go 100%, if it reaches Dangerous hashing stops. You can change them if you wish.

In the Bitmain specs the max chip temp is written as 135°C. Someone mentioned that factory fw stops hashing at 130°C. Braiins OS is far more conservative by default.

The default requires 1 fan plugged, if won't hash until you enable "Immersion mode" which means minimum fans required: 0, and nothing else.

Thanks for the explanations!

Very interesting to watch the auto-tuning in progress. Takes quite a while!

I notice particularly that one of the 2 connected hashboards (1 of the 3 is cactus and not connected) always had a higher chip temperature than the other one, but after about 8hrs of tuning the chip temperatures are now even.

After tuning is complete, I'm getting 11.2TH/s, that would be 11.2TH/s / 2 ×3 = 16.8TH/s from a 14.5TH/s spec miner. A 15.8% increase.

Estimated efficiency as per BraiinsOS+ is 96W/THs, and the measured efficiency at the wall (including PSU and 8'' Phresh fan and ethernet hub thingamabob) is 1062W/11.2THs = 94.8J/THs.

Regarding the 'missing warning', I meant this: I powered up the (2/3rd) S9J without it's stock fans, with the brand new BrainsOS+ SD card and cooled by a Phresh 8'' ducted fan (with manual control dial to adjust the speed). BraiinsOS+ had no way of knowing that a big manually controlled fan was taking care of cooling, and the 'Enable Immersion Mode' was not ticked, but it did not warn something might be wrong. It did however show Fan Monitor 0% 0% 0% 0%
I have since ticked the 'Enable Immersion Cooling' box and now the non-existent fans are shown in Fan Monitor as '100% 100% 100% 100%'.

Questions:
1) Does it matter if I manually adjust the fan speed during the tuning process, or if the air intake temperature fluctuates? It seemed that setting the 'Enable Dynamic Power Scaling' caused trouble. Because I did not realise that cooling requirements do fluctuate so much during tuning, and because I was trying to keep the noise low, the power reduction got triggered a few times by reaching the 'Hot 100C' temperature. Then I turned 'Dynamic Power Scaling' off and tuning appeared to progress more orderly.

2) Can the results of the auto-tuning be stored and then implemented quickly after a restart, or must it go through the whole tuning process every time? I ask because I plan to run comparatively inefficient miners like this one on 'free/stranded' electricity from solar panels. The miners will need to turn on and off frequently, or maybe ramp up and down their power use depending on SOC of solar battery, strength of solar irradiation and grid feed-in tarrifs, or when max allowed feed-in power is reached.

3) Will it make a difference to the tuning results (or to the tuning time requirements) what 'PSU Power Limit (for all hashboards)' I set? I am using a HELA 2050 Platinum PSU (up to 2KW) and I noticed that the auto-tuning starts at different power levels and frequencies when I set different PSU Power Limits.

4) What is the best / fastest / most efficient way to find the most efficient J/THs setting?

5) What is the best way to find the lowest possible power setting for a miner?
legendary
March 04, 2023, 04:35:00 PM
The default values are correct. Bitmain changed the way S9 reports temperatures around 2017, basically subtracting 15°. The oldest firmware reports temperatures exactly the same as Braiins OS: as the sensors send it.

What warning? If it reaches hot fans go 100%, if it reaches Dangerous hashing stops. You can change them if you wish.

In the Bitmain specs the max chip temp is written as 135°C. Someone mentioned that factory fw stops hashing at 130°C. Braiins OS is far more conservative by default.

The default requires 1 fan plugged, if won't hash until you enable "Immersion mode" which means minimum fans required: 0, and nothing else.
March 03, 2023, 08:23:57 PM
I got BraiinsOS+ going on an S9J miner, running from SD card.

Installation was very easy and it runs without the stock fans connected. That's nice because I have an external large fan to suck air through the miner.
However, I wonder why there is no warning, because the temperature control mode is still set to 'Automatic'.

I'm wondering how to set the correct values for temperatures. Looking at this page https://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020079754-S9j-Specifications ,
what does 'Chip temperature: 95C' mean?   Is that a maximum to avoid or a target to achieve? When I was running the miner with it's stock fans, the chip temperatures remained in the 62-65C range, but that was in low power mode.

And in general for the BraiinsOS+ configuration page: Is 'Target temperature' meant to be reached (for efficiency or whatever) from above or from below that temperature?
legendary
February 20, 2023, 04:26:33 PM
What people also build is a device that disconnects the fan for a few seconds via a relay. It switches to a dummy fan adaptor for some seconds after start and then switches back to the fan, when the miner is up and running. Sadly this is not commercially available as far as I know.

Here you can find some more tips: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61644308

Hmm you can do that without the dummy with Braiins OS. Just enable immersion mode.

Also remember to edit your first post, miner doesn't stop hashing at Hot, it does at Dangerous.
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
February 19, 2023, 05:48:53 AM
What people also build is a device that disconnects the fan for a few seconds via a relay. It switches to a dummy fan adaptor for some seconds after start and then switches back to the fan, when the miner is up and running. Sadly this is not commercially available as far as I know.

Here you can find some more tips: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61644308
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
February 17, 2023, 09:38:16 AM
Is there any way to stop the miner from going 100% on all fans during start up? Limiting it to like 30-50 would drastically improve home mining conditions.

Try with something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Module-Cooling-Potentiometer-Chassis/dp/B0B6Q2NGSG
legendary
February 17, 2023, 09:24:26 AM
It is not possible. When you power up a fan it goes to 100% before the fw loads or does anything. Consider a hardware controller or replacing the fans. For example the 3k RPM Phantek or "industrial" Noctua; or an external inline fan used for ducts with 3d printed adapter.
Activity: 20
Merit: 25
February 16, 2023, 02:55:00 PM
Is there any way to stop the miner from going 100% on all fans during start up? Limiting it to like 30-50 would drastically improve home mining conditions.
legendary
February 07, 2023, 05:47:39 PM
Reason is not unknown, chip performance degraded (see log). This is a design feature and is what makes Braiins OS+ so different to others who don't care what happens to the miner afterwards.

If you run it with manual settings, you are on your own. We don't do presets, no shortcuts, and no tune and forget.

If you don't like it, try to investigate the cause. Make sure chip temperature remains constant and your power is stable. If it happened its because its needed, its not done on a whim.

The last thing only made sense for the S9, now the voltage is shared and there is nothing you can do about it.

I don't know if you understand it, but to reach peak efficiency you just can't take shortcuts, its not setting a bunch of speeds and voltage like an old fashioned overclocker. There is a very complicated way to reach that state, which cannot be shortened without losing efficiency. Yet again the reason we can do what others can't.

Sure you can have some sort of preset that is "good enough" for a group of machines, but it will never be the glove fit that is Braiins OS+. And the results are out there...
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
February 05, 2023, 02:10:42 PM
Feature request:

Add a flag / parameter to inhibit Auto Tune, thus using / keeping the current tuning results.

Why: The rig had been running fine. Suddenly, reason, unknown, auto-tune kicks in for one or more cards and it spends the next 12 hours doing it's thing. Sometimes the results are even worse than before. So 12 hours are hashed at 1/2 the normal rate while tuning.

If I can catch it, I will reload a saved configuration. That takes jut a few minutes to get back to the normal hash rate. If not (or don't have a saved config.), and the results are worse, I will then have to set the  power rate at a watt or two higher than before to get auto-tune to kick in (or edit the auto-tune file), but that's even worse as now the whole rig is tuned.

The software saves the best frequency for each chip at a certain card voltage in a unique json section for each card, for each power level. I'd suggest using that data when starting a tune, vs blindly cyclying thru all the combinations.

Oh, and make auto-tune enable & power level selectible each card. I may want to set a given voltage / freq. for a particular card while other cards auto-tune at each specific power level.
legendary
January 15, 2023, 05:30:13 PM
In the first post of this thread.
Activity: 62
Merit: 5
January 14, 2023, 05:25:14 PM
Ok i did some small editing in the first post to make things easier for you. There is an issue with the install to NAND option, so you need to use a slightly older version to do it, this is now reflected in the link for S9 and x17.

The toolbox needs no files, it downloads what it needs on its own. You can only use it to install to S9, anything else needs physically inserting the micro SD card and leave it there if you don't want or can't install to nand (x19 control boards).

If you stick to always using micro SD cards, there is zero complication to "uninstall", just take it out of the miner. There is no need to install to NAND ever.

You mean an older version of Braiins, if so were to get it?

You are right, but prefer to install to nand believe it or not.

After starting up with the sim card, I go to System -> Install current system to device (NAND)

Here I get the error message: found argument "config" which wasn`t expected, or isn`t valid in this context.

Failed to parse message data

upgrade stage1 failed

process return code was 1

With an older version of Braiins it will be possible?
legendary
January 14, 2023, 02:45:33 PM
Ok i did some small editing in the first post to make things easier for you. There is an issue with the install to NAND option, so you need to use a slightly older version to do it, this is now reflected in the link for S9 and x17.

The toolbox needs no files, it downloads what it needs on its own. You can only use it to install to S9, anything else needs physically inserting the micro SD card and leave it there if you don't want or can't install to nand (x19 control boards).

If you stick to always using micro SD cards, there is zero complication to "uninstall", just take it out of the miner. There is no need to install to NAND ever.
Activity: 62
Merit: 5
January 13, 2023, 01:13:21 PM
Hi!

I have some antminer S17 PRO, T17, T17+ that I would like to install Braiins on. Now stock firmware.

I want to flash two sd card with Braiins, one for installing braiins to the miner. The other one using Braiins only as long the sd card is in the slot.

Thinking to flash with software Balenaetcher.

What files should I use for each sd card. There are three files to download.

beaglebone-x19_SD_runfromSD.....zip

x17_SD_autoNANDinstall....zip

x17+19_SD_runFromSD....zip

What file should I use together with BOS+ toolbox?

Perhaps it's a stupid question but had trouble installing and uninstalling Braiins, that's why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks in advance!

legendary
December 31, 2022, 06:20:13 PM
There is no such a thing. We do not use cgminer. it was removed in 2019 and replaced with bosminer in 2020 made from scratch. The pool must support rolling version which is generally added with asicboost or it will not work. I have personally tested with some yiimp like zpool and mining dutch, if there is an issue with mmpool then they must investigate it. In general Braiins OS has been tested with most Bitcoin pools and if other coins work, fine if not, change pool. Altcoins are not officially supported.

The previous poster seems to be in a compromised network, with some malware or worse. This goes beyond Braiins OS+ support. What good is changing the password if they have a malware in a windows pc sending all keystrokes and desktop screenshots to some malicious entity? The most common mistake is not setting a password in the miner, but that is not the only security issue. The less computer savvy people are, the more prone they are for these exploits.
Pages:
Jump to: