Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 117. (Read 199719 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 04:58:38 PM
There are a lot of different perspectives out there. All we can do is hope for the best in all of this.

Owner Of Russia's Largest BTC Exchange Arrested – Money May Be Lost

"... According to the latest report, Bits.media received information from the administrator of the qugla.com service, which conducted the marketing campaign of Humaniq, saying that Alexander Vinnik is indeed one of the owners and administrators of BTC-e.

He stated, that another administrator of BTC-e probably has access to the exchange, and now, most likely tries to solve the situation. He also stated that the future of BTC-e exchange is uncertain and user funds may be never returned. He continued..."

Source:
https://coinidol.com/owner-of-btc-e-arrested/
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
July 26, 2017, 04:40:35 PM
Explain why the btc-e site would not be showing some sort of seized splash page instead of updates relating to the "maintenance"?  Every arrest/seizure I've seen usually has the law enforcement agency putting up a seizure page... is this different in Greece?  Seems odd, I would imagine they should have control of the DNS if they arrested the owner and seized servers.

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
July 26, 2017, 04:38:19 PM
Below is a summarized illustration highlighting the theft coin flow of September 2011 onwards:

(The top area of the graph includes clusters unrelated to Vinnik, and appear to be part of a different theft.)

A good article that I "enjoyed" reading today: http://blog.wizsec.jp/2017/07/breaking-open-mtgox-1.html
Let's see in the upcoming days what will happen and what will the popular media write about this case which is very sensitive and interesting.
Activity: 167
July 26, 2017, 04:36:00 PM
This is what I think happened.

1) BTC-E noticed some security vulnerabilities, upcoming with the fork on 1st of August.

2) BTC-E shutdown their servers to check what was going on

And at the same time law enforcement was trying to arrest another guy who laundered money through BTC-E. They don't know if he is the owner of the website.

3) Law Enforcement notices that BTC-E is down and thinks that the guy their trying to arrest is them one step ahead, so they go ahead and arrest him.

4) They realize that he is indeed not the owner because the website will be up and running again soon. But he is the launderer they where looking for.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 26, 2017, 04:25:12 PM
Latest tweet:

Update2: At the moment, work is underway to restore the service. Approximate terms from 5 to 10 days. Thank you for understanding

you are so so stupid if you think they back and they return  all funds to owners ...

they just buy time for remove any track

I tried to tell that earlier.

Imagine all the tears tomorrow when they realise what has happened!
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
July 26, 2017, 04:17:56 PM
Guys the money is gone. They are not coming back.
There is no authority that is going to give back money from a money laundering operation. If you want those coins you are going to have to bid when the government actions them off.

Lesson learned? Don't give your coins to Russian organized crime and think they are going to take care of you. Use only Legal, registered exchanges in your country.  
Activity: 53
July 26, 2017, 04:17:47 PM
https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/890232366370893825

My heart bleeds for everyone lost money, probably some people lost whole life's saving or maybe even loan amount they took to invest in crypto.

I feel myself blessed because i couple of days ago withdrawn all my crypto from there and moved to bitrex, this thought came out of nowhere in my mind. It saved me.

But i am really sad today. Sorry for your loss.

Was it you I was talking to about Tenx Pay?
Yeah - I had everything on btc-e was mainly in fiat and was going to buy back on the dip and move all to cold storage! This was going to be our nest egg!
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
July 26, 2017, 04:15:28 PM
how btc-e now?
Activity: 62
July 26, 2017, 04:10:35 PM
No news by now about hackers attack probably it would be spread around already and they should have noticed the users. But it's not excluded either. Anyway, don't think on worst at first, maybe it's only technical mainteinance and everything will be back to normal soon.
yes hopefully so, we do not want Bitcoin to have case same with Ethereum, yesterday Ethereal is hacked and now Bitcoin will be also hacked. I hope not.
hrmm, i hope not, though the banks did promise a war against crypto-currencys.
If its found they did this, im sure they will sustain such a hack hit they wont survive.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 26, 2017, 04:07:46 PM
But just at that point it's time to panic.

Now all the money is there  (at least eth).

they don't need to move them to steal them. that's my point.

but i don't believe they will be stealing anything myself.

the thing people should be concerned about is whether law enforcement tries to get to their servers between now and them getting the site back up. obviously they haven't yet. perhaps they're not interested enough. we'll have to wait.
Activity: 560
Merit: 255
July 26, 2017, 04:06:18 PM
Latest tweet:

Update2: At the moment, work is underway to restore the service. Approximate terms from 5 to 10 days. Thank you for understanding

you are so so stupid if you think they back and they return  all funds to owners ...

they just buy time for remove any track
Activity: 541
Merit: 500
July 26, 2017, 04:05:44 PM
if they decide to keep them that's that. they're already stolen if that's what they decide to do.

But just at that point it's time to panic.

Now all the money is there  (at least eth).
Activity: 233
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 03:58:59 PM
Oh man , how does someone go to sleep now. This is becoming interesting. By morning BTC-E did 9/11 CONFIRMED.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 26, 2017, 03:56:32 PM
Panic? No.

Mine eth with wallet at btc-e.
Wallet btc-e: 0x91337A300e0361BDDb2e377DD4e88CCB7796663D

ETH Balance:    485,705.46 Eth
Last transactions: 1 day 8 hrs ago.

( https://etherscan.io/address/0x91337a300e0361bddb2e377dd4e88ccb7796663d )

Where's the theft?

do you have the private keys to that wallet? nope. they do. if they decide to keep them that's that. they're already stolen if that's what they decide to do.

i think it might well turn out fine myself. btce is the cockroach of exchanges.
Activity: 541
Merit: 500
July 26, 2017, 03:50:31 PM
Panic? No.

Mine eth with wallet at btc-e.
Wallet btc-e: 0x91337A300e0361BDDb2e377DD4e88CCB7796663D

ETH Balance:    485,705.46 Eth
Last transactions: 1 day 8 hrs ago.

( https://etherscan.io/address/0x91337a300e0361bddb2e377dd4e88ccb7796663d )

Where's the theft?
Activity: 86
July 26, 2017, 03:47:21 PM
Another really odd coincidence is that the last two tweets are done exactly 24h (to the minute) apart. Bot tweets?
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
July 26, 2017, 03:40:38 PM
In a few days BTC-e will pop up again, maybe from another location, and will reconfirm its status as most reliable exchange.

Reliable?

They are very far from being reliable since they started to lock down the 1 year old accounts and ask impossible docs to restore them back. As far as I know, no-one has succeeded these procedures and got their funds back after their accounts got locked.

Enough bullshit to stay away.

BREAKING NEWS: BTC-E HACKED MTGOX

https://twitter.com/kyletorpey/status/890253492190945285
https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/890256080965599232
Activity: 86
July 26, 2017, 03:40:06 PM
While I'm very happy to hear that, it's really obvious what they plan to do - take all available cash, buy up as many bitcoins as possible, wait until after fork (when price is expected to rise sharply) and sell coins = reap a lot of profits.

I hope fiat balances are recovered too, but as someone that was in all fiat on the site I can't help feeling angry about missing out on this. Instead of earning a lot I'll lose half my coins. Better than nothing though.
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511
July 26, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
This extended downtime is contingency to allow the August 1 fork threat to be fully ameliorated. All funds are safe and service will be fully restored

Spoken like a true Mt. Gox believer.

Bitcoins aren't really very anonymous, you can make it time consuming to track you by tumbling, but not impossible if someone has the incentive to do so. I imagine it will be very hard for anyone to actually use those bitcoins without their identity being revealed at some point. At which point they will most assuredly be tortured by hired men to hand over their crypto. Whoever stole the money just made thousands of enemies, many of whom still have significant amounts of money and know how to access the dark web.

Yeah, in your imagination. Fact is, crypto users will do fuck all except rage at their keyboard.
Activity: 233
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 03:39:10 PM
Sad thing is that BTC-e managed to hide all their funds from FBI.

Why is that a bad thing? I rather trust BTC-E staff than FBI xD
In this case we know the staff.. Look the picture. He is on the news!
Do you really think this man will pay anyone?

Well he hasn't stolen anything from his customers before! The on on the pictures is his doppelganger Eric Bana. Tongue
Jump to: