Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 116. (Read 199719 times)

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
July 26, 2017, 09:20:10 PM

sounds like assets will be siezed, to repay victims of mtgox. I had bitcoins in mtgox during end of 2013, they never said their were issues, when they took my coins, and just ignored my tickets, (just like poloinex is doing now) for mounts until tshtf. I only have relative pennies to lose in poloinex, but i lost a lot of savings in mtgox.. hope they distribute some of those stolen coins to the mtgox clients.

What assets will be seized and what is the logic behind it?
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
July 26, 2017, 07:51:32 PM
Guys the money is gone. They are not coming back.
There is no authority that is going to give back money from a money laundering operation. If you want those coins you are going to have to bid when the government actions them off.

Lesson learned? Don't give your coins to Russian organized crime and think they are going to take care of you. Use only Legal, registered exchanges in your country.  

even mybitcoin.com came back after few weeks (to allow like 50 % withdrawals).
somebody else made a good point here, they allowed a lot of people from 2nd and 3rd world countries access to crypto, countries where there are no exchanges.
Activity: 14
July 26, 2017, 07:24:48 PM
Crap.. should I remove my coins from Bittrex or are they safe?
I would have to install like 8 different coin wallets. ; Cry
legendary
Activity: 1899
Merit: 1024
July 26, 2017, 07:10:55 PM
I lost some on mtgox and now I have lost even more on btc-e

They can confiscate coins from regular users, i don`t care for criminals, sure they need to go after them!
Activity: 62
July 26, 2017, 07:01:40 PM

sounds like assets will be siezed, to repay victims of mtgox. I had bitcoins in mtgox during end of 2013, they never said their were issues, when they took my coins, and just ignored my tickets, (just like poloinex is doing now) for mounts until tshtf. I only have relative pennies to lose in poloinex, but i lost a lot of savings in mtgox.. hope they distribute some of those stolen coins to the mtgox clients.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 4398
diamond-handed zealot
July 26, 2017, 06:46:10 PM
First of all, he is not in the hands of the FBI yet, he was just detained by the Greek police, though it seems that he was arrested specifically by the request from the US authorities. Further, this dude might be a Russian citizen so the US authorities could encounter some issues extraditing him to the US where he is to be tried. In fact, Greece may have to make a tough choice right now since Greek authorities seem to be slightly pro-Russian these days but the country is still a NATO member anyway. Things are likely to get quite complicated here

Why do you think that Greece is pro-Russian these days? You maybe mixing Greece with Turkey?

Pro-Russian Turkey shot down Russian plane not so long ago.

Indeed, in fact the Russian "backed" Assad government and Turkish "backed" militias are in a very tense standoff with flares of actual violence just South of Al Bab.

http://isis.liveuamap.com/
Activity: 43
July 26, 2017, 06:35:56 PM
What I don't get is if they were really trying to hide the stolen coin, why not throw mixers in there at some point? This is just them passing the coin from exchange to exchange.
Activity: 17
July 26, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
If the mockingbird dont sing and the coins dont shine i will break that admins neck i go back to btc-e who sold it to you and they give me every coin dont fk with dad !
Activity: 90
Merit: 3
July 26, 2017, 05:48:25 PM
First of all, he is not in the hands of the FBI yet, he was just detained by the Greek police, though it seems that he was arrested specifically by the request from the US authorities. Further, this dude might be a Russian citizen so the US authorities could encounter some issues extraditing him to the US where he is to be tried. In fact, Greece may have to make a tough choice right now since Greek authorities seem to be slightly pro-Russian these days but the country is still a NATO member anyway. Things are likely to get quite complicated here

Why do you think that Greece is pro-Russian these days? You maybe mixing Greece with Turkey?

Pro-Russian Turkey shot down Russian plane not so long ago.
Activity: 28
July 26, 2017, 05:36:43 PM
Why don't the other BTC-e admins keep the popular exchange running?

Has the hardware been seized or something?

They have no control of btc-e wallets..

Are you suggesting that some person other than the remaining admins does each and every wallet transaction? Sounds like BS to me, it would be automated. There may be some cold wallets with reserves out of their control, but it's the hot wallets that matter to run the exchange.

In case you did no see it.
At the point of "maintenance"
66k BTC moved to safe and what other values, that we do not yet know.

And the scary ones:
He stated, that another administrator of BTC-e probably has access to the exchange, and now, most likely tries to solve the situation. He also stated that the future of BTC-e exchange is uncertain and user funds may be never returned. He continued:

“Forecasts are disappointing. If within 48 hours the situation is not resolved in a positive way, with a high degree of probability you can forget about the money.”
erk
July 26, 2017, 05:28:33 PM

Are you suggesting that some person other than the remaining admins does each and every wallet transaction? Sounds like BS to me, it would be automated. There may be some cold wallets with reserves out of their control, but it's the hot wallets that matter to run the exchange.

Activity: 784
Merit: 502
July 26, 2017, 05:21:04 PM

Activity: 86
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 05:18:07 PM
For whatever it's worth they are making a lot more legally (in the long run, say one or a few years) than they would ever walk away with by theft. They do have incentive to get the site up and running again, assuming they can - ie it's not closed by feds, bitcoins stolen, hardware confiscated or similar.

While 5-10 days seems REALLY shady, I'm hoping it is to relocate servers, help investigate any scams, wait for owner to be released or similar reason, and not to liquidate all assets and run. One can only guess at this point, but holding on to that thin sliver of hope yet..
erk
July 26, 2017, 05:17:09 PM

Activity: 22
July 26, 2017, 05:09:15 PM
My theory is that they are relocating after all of this mess.

I'm not optimistic, I consider my funds lost at this point, but there is always hope Smiley

going by rough numbers, btc-e made .4% per trade,(.2% buy .2% sell), the volume of coins that were exchanged there is huge, they are walking away with $4,000 per $1,000,000 traded in fees.  
legendary
Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001
July 26, 2017, 05:07:28 PM
There are a lot of different perspectives out there. All we can do is hope for the best in all of this.

Owner Of Russia's Largest BTC Exchange Arrested – Money May Be Lost

"... According to the latest report, Bits.media received information from the administrator of the qugla.com service, which conducted the marketing campaign of Humaniq, saying that Alexander Vinnik is indeed one of the owners and administrators of BTC-e.

He stated, that another administrator of BTC-e probably has access to the exchange, and now, most likely tries to solve the situation. He also stated that the future of BTC-e exchange is uncertain and user funds may be never returned. He continued..."

Source:
https://coinidol.com/owner-of-btc-e-arrested/

Tears coming.. Big ones..

“Forecasts are disappointing. If within 48 hours the situation is not resolved in a positive way, with a high degree of probability you can forget about the money.”
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 05:05:04 PM
This is what I think happened.

this seems likely to me..
Jump to: