Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 124. (Read 199719 times)

Activity: 564
Merit: 508
July 26, 2017, 09:59:02 AM
Does anybody know anything about this Alexander Vinnik ?

Afaik one of the founders of btc-e is named Alexander.
maybe coincidence ? Not uncommon name for Russians ...

Info obtained from some rather old article:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/btc-e-trustworthy-or-recipe-for-disaster/

After taking a closer look, it seemed we could assume the exchange was based in Cyprus. The terms of use on BTC-e’s website stated the exchange was governed by the laws applicable in Cyprus. However, when looking up the website through Google, the description says BTC-e operates from Bulgaria. Neither could be proven so these discoveries won’t bring any more clarity. The only certainty, as far as certainty about BTC-e goes, would be the involvement of Russia. BTC-e’s helpdesk releases periodic updates, presented in Russian and English. The presence of Russian currency on the website also indicate this. A December interview with CoinDesk, one of the few interviews BTC-e ever did, gave away the names of Aleksey and Alexander. Both are names that are well represented in Russia.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
July 26, 2017, 09:54:46 AM

Well...it looks like it is at a GOX level again of FUD...looks like my btc 'hoard' is gonna go down 1/3 in paper profits probably....and a year to resolve if anything like the past

I was thinking on the run up and seg witness I was not seeing a lot of pushback or FUD from the powers that be....well.....that should have been expected..here it be!

ride this out for another year I guess of misinformation and FUD on cyypto as this plays out....the press is pleased .....FUD=sales to eyeballs

Got to keep bitcoin in its 'niche' can't be having consensus on seg witness and such and shoot to 5k or 10k coin...that would be annoying to those with power/money

even if I'm just tongue in cheek on this conspiracy bruhaha..... the timing of this is frigging epic Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 26, 2017, 09:54:33 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/07/25/google-ransomware-tracking-bitcoin/506560001/

95% of ransomware money went through btce according to this.
Activity: 564
Merit: 508
July 26, 2017, 09:52:34 AM

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police arrested a Russian man suspected of running a money laundering operation involving turning $4 billion from illicit business activities into the digital currency bitcoin, they said on Wednesday.

Police did not name the 38-year-old, who was arrested in the northern Greek region of Chalkidiki on Monday on a U.S. warrant.

He is suspected of heading a criminal organization since 2011 that "owns, operates and manages one of the world's leading e-crime websites", police said in a statement.

The Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow said it had no information on the case.

Bitcoin was the first digital currency to successfully use cryptography to keep transactions secure and hidden, making traditional financial regulation difficult if not impossible.

Reporting by Karolina Tagaris in Athens and Jack Stubbs in Moscow; Editing by Louise Ireland

Everything seems to match up unfortunately.

Russian - check
Ran the site since 2011 - check
Exchanging funds into bitcoin - check
One of the worlds leading "e-crime" website - check
BTC-E went down same day as arrest - check

Sad day if true. BTC-E was great. I am pro anonymity and btc-e provided that. It looks like the owner may be paying a hefty price in the end. Sad

His name is Alexander Vinnik
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-greece-russia-arrest-suspect-idUKKBN1AB1VT
Activity: 233
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 09:51:38 AM
A 6 year old exchange the leading e-crime site because it favors anonymity? And I thought we got rid of communism Sad
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 09:47:56 AM
Am i the only one who see this guy face look alike US male actor named Eric Bana  Cheesy

Yeah I see it. He's the Eric Bana from the 2009 Star Trek film. The one who imploded the Vulcan homeworld.   Angry
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
July 26, 2017, 09:46:02 AM
Am i the only one who see this guy face look alike US male actor named Eric Bana  Cheesy
July 26, 2017, 09:43:02 AM
This page gives some of the registration information for BTC-e's site:

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=btc-e.com
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
July 26, 2017, 09:39:25 AM
The website is now showing twitter updates guys.

If it was shutdown by government, it wouldn't even show that message.

BTC-e is coming back!
Last update was 18 hours ago. While there's still hope (especially since there is no message about the site being seized yet as mentioned above), it could be that this maintenance message is automated. If we start getting new updates however, then it will look good. Right now, not so much.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 09:37:24 AM
The website is now showing twitter updates guys.

If it was shutdown by government, it wouldn't even show that message.

BTC-e is coming back!
July 26, 2017, 09:35:57 AM
Shutdown is better than hacked though, right?
At least we can have hope of seeing our coins again. Maybe..
Not necessarily. I'd rather them be hacked for 2-3k BTC than shut down by the US government. It can become a long and difficult battle to get any money back from "one of the world's leading e-crime websites".

I think that if the US government shut down BTC-e that the government would have already put a placeholder page on BTC-e's website.

This is another related story:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/russian-wanted-us-caught-greece-money-laundering-48858196
legendary
July 26, 2017, 09:35:47 AM
Why sould BTC-E be the worlds leading e-crime website HuhHuh
Because USA has made it a crime to exchange money without license or anonymously. In their eyes this is hardcore criminal behavior deserving of decades or even life in prison. USA's law applies in all countries in the world including any other planets such as Mars, Pluto etc.

The only way to protect yourself against the US is if you are in a country that is enemy of the US and will not extradite you, however they can still use drones to kill you.  
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
July 26, 2017, 09:35:10 AM
Doesn't look good guys.

One article mentions Alex Vinnik as the guy arrested.  According to unknown twitter sources he is a founder of btc-e.  Also this happened in Cyprus. 

https://twitter.com/fahmyeu/status/890201887978475520
legendary
July 26, 2017, 09:33:15 AM
Not necessarily. I'd rather them be hacked for 2-3k BTC than shut down by the US government. It can become a long and difficult battle to get any money back from "one of the world's leading e-crime websites".
Activity: 5
July 26, 2017, 09:31:52 AM
Why sould BTC-E be the worlds leading e-crime website HuhHuh
Activity: 33
July 26, 2017, 09:30:29 AM
July 26, 2017, 09:29:57 AM

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police arrested a Russian man suspected of running a money laundering operation involving turning $4 billion from illicit business activities into the digital currency bitcoin, they said on Wednesday.

Police did not name the 38-year-old, who was arrested in the northern Greek region of Chalkidiki on Monday on a U.S. warrant.

He is suspected of heading a criminal organization since 2011 that "owns, operates and manages one of the world's leading e-crime websites", police said in a statement.

Bitcoin was the first digital currency to successfully use cryptography to keep transactions secure and hidden, making traditional financial regulation difficult if not impossible.

Reporting by Karolina Tagaris in Athens and Jack Stubbs in Moscow; Editing by Louise Ireland

Russian - check

Sad day if true. BTC-E was great. I am pro anonymity and btc-e provided that. It looks like the owner may be paying a hefty price in the end. Sad

This is the link to that article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4732016/Greece-arrests-Russian-suspected-running-4-bln-bitcoin-laundering-ring.html
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
July 26, 2017, 09:28:27 AM

Russian - check

so if we are to read this correctly - btc-e wasnt hacked ...

it was shutdown ...

#crysx
legendary
July 26, 2017, 09:16:39 AM

Russian - check

Jump to: