Author

Topic: BTC-e hacked ?? - page 126. (Read 199719 times)

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 26, 2017, 07:54:19 AM
or maybe that article relates to the bitmixer guy? how long has bitmixer been operating for?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
July 26, 2017, 07:51:44 AM
The website just updated to show the Twitter announcements so let's hope they are close to getting it back online.
I noticed that too right now ~ this should give people more confidence as if BTC-E was to run with people's funds, they would have left completely.

I am 90% certain that this has to do with a potential hack. It doesn't necessarily has to mean that funds have been stolen, but still, user information might have been compromised.

More updates BTC-E, please!!!
Activity: 520
Merit: 500
July 26, 2017, 07:47:58 AM

match better than 502 )
Activity: 319
Merit: 250
July 26, 2017, 07:47:26 AM
This makes the most sense.

A lot of the new guys doing trading on finex or stamp don't have much respect for btc-e.  But that's where all of the old whales live. . .

For sure, I've been using it since 2013 which feels like a hundred years in crypto. Always preferred it over Gox and always thought Karpelès played things way too loose and fast over there, he missed way too many opportunities to be taken seriously, could never understand why people used it at all.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
July 26, 2017, 07:43:03 AM

This makes the most sense.

A lot of the new guys doing trading on finex or stamp don't have much respect for btc-e.  But that's where all of the old whales live. . .
Activity: 319
July 26, 2017, 07:36:40 AM
The website just updated to show the Twitter announcements so let's hope they are close to getting it back online.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087
July 26, 2017, 07:35:18 AM
If BTC-E base is indeed Bulgaria, Thessaloniki is just a couple hours drive. I have 400$ in btce, I hope my country didn't screw me again.

it must have tens of thousands of users who've done absolutely nothing wrong. if this is true and they gain control of it i wonder if they're gonna bother making everyone whole. it might be very hard to disentangle everything.
Activity: 233
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 07:33:44 AM

If BTC-E base is indeed Bulgaria, Thessaloniki is just a couple hours drive. I have 400$ in btce, I hope my country didn't screw me again.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
July 26, 2017, 07:21:07 AM
Well they've lost $150k already if that's true, I suspect the data center engineer is sweating... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQJY5SsJ64&t=22s
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
July 26, 2017, 07:18:31 AM
The fact that they are hiding their identities, have no established location/jurisdiction, are operating through russia to avoid the US police makes them untrustworthy from the get-go.
Activity: 86
Merit: 10
July 26, 2017, 07:10:40 AM
So surely this suggests they are still working on resolving the position?
The volatility & trade volume makes for huge revenues - I dont beleive they would choose this time to exit scam - I also dont beleive that this would ever be their agenda...

I'm sure it's not an exit scam. Last time I checked they were making over $150k / day on btc transaction fees, probably a lot more in total with all the handling of USD / other cryptos.. Not to mention they are steadily growing. I can't see why anyone would trade that legitimate business for a couple of million USD theft that might put them in jail, they would make way more just keeping the site up.

BUT, it certainly looks like they lost funds, and it can be tricky to get it up and running asap with thousands of users screaming for their coins / cash. We'll see how they will handle it.
Activity: 616
July 26, 2017, 07:01:49 AM
I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt yesterday, but the fact that it is STILL down today during normal week days is pretty worrying.

If they have any sense they will give a full and detailed public update on the exact issues as soon as possible.
Activity: 53
July 26, 2017, 06:59:30 AM
I dont understand the mechanics, but was under the impression that xbtce shared the same backend and orderbooks with btc-e. There seem to be active trades on xbtce - the trollbox has also been up for short periods today. Can anyone enlighten me with this position?

They shared a post earlier today that they had changed liquidity backend to another source while btc-e was down, so it has split from btc-e for the moment.

So surely this suggests they are still working on resolving the position?
The volatility & trade volume makes for huge revenues - I dont beleive they would choose this time to exit scam - I also dont beleive that this would ever be their agenda...
July 26, 2017, 06:42:53 AM
This is really your fault. Btce has been always a shady exchange. A catastrophe in the making. I do use it because they offer lots of USD withdrawal options and are lax with the rules but if I was selling to hedge my bitcoin value and I don't want to go with the identity verification I'll use bitfinex/kraken/bitmex. The latter is not an exchange but recently their quarterly future is solid enough for 20-40k.

Well, while it has russian ties (racism much?), it is still one of the biggest exchanges that has had no major outages / hacks (well, some) / scams since the start. And the hacks that happened was quickly reimbursed to all users. I already did the identity verification there years ago, no issues at all with that either. So there was really no good reason to mistrust them, and I do believe they are making everything they can to get up and running again.. But if several million USD is stolen, who knows if they even can.

And yeah, it's definitely dangerous to move your coins out of cold storage and I knew the risks, I'm just bummed it gets hacked the moment I move funds outside of my wallet for severals years. My usual luck.
Activity: 57
July 26, 2017, 06:39:35 AM
a rumor on another thread say they are down 66,000 btc

that would be ...well..interesting to say the least...

just tossing it out there ...as very unlikely to be true

so..just for the 'shudder factor' Smiley

Coblee said he thinks that address belongs to Coinbase.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
July 26, 2017, 06:36:51 AM
a rumor on another thread say they are down 66,000 btc

that would be ...well..interesting to say the least...

just tossing it out there ...as very unlikely to be true

so..just for the 'shudder factor' Smiley

July 26, 2017, 06:35:08 AM
I dont understand the mechanics, but was under the impression that xbtce shared the same backend and orderbooks with btc-e. There seem to be active trades on xbtce - the trollbox has also been up for short periods today. Can anyone enlighten me with this position?

They shared a post earlier today that they had changed liquidity backend to another source while btc-e was down, so it has split from btc-e for the moment.
Jump to: