Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex - page 14. (Read 167444 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
March 06, 2014, 01:17:44 AM
This story might turn out OK, just not sure if the income will be there.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
March 06, 2014, 01:02:01 AM
Nice trick to steal hard earned Bitcoin, First open an exchange then make a plan and take off Bitcoin bcoz no body can complain for this Virtual currency. That is why so many Exchange all of sudden started popping every second day.

I am 100% sure these stupid exchange owner are main cause for this all.

This is direct mistake of Exchange owner , why Users will suffer for his mistake ?

Precisely my thought all along.

All too easy and no proof of any hacks.

It was theft, did the owner of Poloniex call the police?

Too many exchanges means not all can make a living and be profitable. It's like having 100 superstores in a village of 1000 people.

Temptation to steal knowing one's identify is unknown is great.

Only time will tell when we all get back the 12%+.....then this isn't a scam.

The ideas of shares, which i made clear is absurd, IPO, etc......could be the 2nd part of the scam.

Scam are done two ways - short game, small 'profit' and quick before moving onto the next target.....or.......- long game, big 'profit', attacking same targets.

The idea, without proof that Poloniex (tristan, Busico whatever) were not part of the hack/theft, everyone suddenly praising their honestly and transparency is laughable.

He gave all the info in the email. Not sure what more proof you'd like to have...

Also, it would seem that his identity isn't, in fact, unknown.
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
March 06, 2014, 12:59:50 AM
according to your data, the thief's email is [email protected],which is used for 9 years and it can easily find out who owns it.
ther number shows that he is living in Beijing.
other emails are all newly reged.

Foreigners's report to the police can be taken seriously in China.

a foreigner used to lost a bicycle,and the police finded it in just some hours~.lol

So you can report to the police,alarm call number is 0086 10 110

They should do this asap.
legendary
Activity: 1105
March 06, 2014, 12:58:26 AM
sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.

This is getting really old. Do you even read what you write?

Instead of him paying us all back, you think he should declare bankruptcy and pay us nothing?

He obviously hasn't been making huge profits, or he'd have paid back the money already. He hasn't "made" anyone trust him with their money; they all chose to do so of their own accord by using his exchange. Also, he hasn't "cried" about it in the slightest; you're the one apparently "crying".
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
March 06, 2014, 12:52:01 AM

Yes...but not an excuse....semantic difference. Wink Wink

Cheesy Alright. I'm big on semantics myself. I will concede this one Tongue
Activity: 599
Merit: 500
March 06, 2014, 12:45:12 AM
sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.
Activity: 425
Merit: 253
March 06, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Nice trick to steal hard earned Bitcoin, First open an exchange then make a plan and take off Bitcoin bcoz no body can complain for this Virtual currency. That is why so many Exchange all of sudden started popping every second day.

This is direct mistake of Exchange owner , why Users will suffer for his mistake ?
Too many exchanges means not all can make a living and be profitable. It's like having 100 superstores in a village of 1000 people.
The ideas of shares, which i made clear is absurd, IPO, etc......could be the 2nd part of the scam.
Scam are done two ways - short game, small 'profit' and quick before moving onto the next target.....or.......- long game, big 'profit', attacking same targets.

The idea, without proof that Poloniex (tristan, Busico whatever) were not part of the hack/theft, everyone suddenly praising their honestly and transparency is laughable.

I know Busico... and he is solid as a rock... if he wanted to scam someone he would take all of your fucking shitcoins...but he didn't...  the reality is this whole industry is a work-in-process.... and one little mistake can cost thousands or millions... he will make it right... and you have no evidence otherwise... if he offers shares for sale I will pitch in and help cover... that's how much I trust in what he says...   Neither one of you have ANY evidence of malfeasance... zero.. nada...ziltch...  you just throw out bullshit with no proof... 
legendary
Activity: 924
March 06, 2014, 12:17:10 AM

Activity: 231
Merit: 100
March 06, 2014, 12:07:17 AM
according to your data, the thief's email is [email protected],which is used for 9 years and it can easily find out who owns it.
ther number shows that he is living in Beijing.
other emails are all newly reged.

Foreigners's report to the police can be taken seriously in China.

a foreigner used to lost a bicycle,and the police finded it in just some hours~.lol

So you can report to the police,alarm call number is 0086 10 110
Activity: 219
Merit: 102
March 06, 2014, 12:06:10 AM
Why XCP cashouts still not working? If BTC's was stolen why XCP cant withdrawal?
legendary
Activity: 924
March 06, 2014, 12:01:27 AM
At the risk of being flamed into molecular ashes...

I think you are doing the right thing.  Good on you.  Couple of questions...

Are you planning to keep the exchange open just long enough to pay everyone back?  Or do you plan to continue the business indefinitely?  If the latter, do you plan for the exchange to stay within its existing niche?  Or for it to grow/evolve into something larger? 

I do think you need to retain some seriously competent human resources to upgrade your overall security, outward-facing interface(s), internal accounting & processing, etc, etc. 

I do not currently have an account with your...virtual currency entity.  VCE?  But I'm willing to open an account (and move my BtC and U$D into it) if two conditions are met.  (1) Tighten-up your security and verification.  A lot.  (2) Save all the transaction data, for clients who are paying the higher fees & commissions.  After the stolen currency/funds are paid off, offer us the occasional frequent "free trade" or "half rate commission" until the higher fees & commissions are balanced out. 

It should go without saying, that any sort of professional & impersonal facade...of the nature MTGOX likes (liked?) to present to clients & customers...would need to go away forever.  If you want the community to help you through this hiccup, then it's only fair to offer some sort of reward to the folks who stick by you. 

I don't know much about the personality/character of your operation.  Never had an account there.  It may be that you already have "operators standing by" who know many of your customers by name. 

I think you are doing the right thing.  Good on you.

blah

blah

blah

blah

I do not currently have an account with your...virtual currency entity.  VCE?  But I'm willing to open an account

WHAT!!!

You do not even have an account, so you can not make any judgements, especially compliments.

Funny thing is, he actually can. It's called freedom of speech, and I for one believe that to be a basic human right.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech............but bias. Only those who were affected by the theft can comment, others not affected can advice but not make compliments.

Freedom of speech isn't an excuse to make oneself look stupid.

Funny, I said something similar a few pages back and you didn't jump me.

Still, if your last line there were true, the news industry would have dried up about the time of its birth. Not altogether sure where I stand on that, but frankly, yes, freedom of speech most assuredly implies the ability and right to make an ass of yourself.

Perhaps if he'd had more observers analyzing his site in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. Those who were not affected can be more objective than those who were.

Yes...but not an excuse....semantic difference. Wink Wink
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
March 05, 2014, 11:46:24 PM
BTC withdrawals without sending a confirmation email, management can look at?
My ID is [email protected]
Activity: 180
March 05, 2014, 11:35:03 PM
I want to deposit BTC buy an alt and withdraw the alt is this working and doable or not? If its working but with delays what are the delays?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
March 05, 2014, 11:32:15 PM
Dear Users of Poloniex,

As you may have heard, a hacker recently used an exploit to steal 12.3% of the Bitcoins on Poloniex. Details on how this happened can be found in this announcement post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/btc-stolen-from-poloniex-499580

In order to keep Poloniex solvent, all BTC balances were deducted yesterday by 12.3%. No further deductions will occur. As soon as I have time to put it up, you will be able to view exactly how much BTC you are missing on your Balances page.

I deeply regret that this happened, and am committed to repaying the debt and making Poloniex absolutely secure. Any exchange fees collected since the incident will be used to pay back the debt at regular intervals. Exchange fees will not be raised.

Additionally, shares of Poloniex may be issued, the profits from which would be used to repay the debt and hire highly qualified security experts. The timing and details of this, and indeed whether it will occur, have not been decided. I invite you all to give your input on these decisions by voting in the following poll and, if desired, leaving a comment: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/poll-how-to-deal-with-stolen-btc-on-poloniex-500578

Since the incident occurred, the way withdrawals and order creation are handled has been redesigned so that all such requests are added to a global command queue, then processed sequentially. More automated checks for consistency of balances have been added. Larger percentages of coins have been moved into cold storage. And as of today, I am searching for additional developers to bolster the security of Poloniex as much as possible, and as soon as possible.

Here are some specific details about the hacker.

BTC addresses used to withdraw stolen funds to:

1ABnAg2nK3M6YKmaYtL5EBgdp1VQGyTbjL
18sdMt7ENfU3Weq7vy1Qdqr3skgd47WEbe
1Ktq7TE3J5vZ3c99M5weqKfFcNkHQdqPrq
1C1acLbFh3KaKgdFUBuCV8oD7ucqUaLLLY

IP addresses used to place the withdrawals:

Email addresses used to log in:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

The total BTC stolen was about 97. The addresses will add up to more than that; this is because the hacker needed to deposit BTC several times in order to use the exploit.

Finally, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude toward the many people who have shown their support, who have vouched for my character, and who have offered help. In this time of extreme and continual stress and worry, I truly appreciate it. I will do everything in my power to return your funds to you as soon as possible, and I am grateful for your patience in the meantime.

Sincerely,
Tristan
Activity: 180
March 05, 2014, 11:24:11 PM
Just got the email with all the details people have been asking for.

Why don't you copy and past the content then
Activity: 501
Merit: 252
March 05, 2014, 11:15:57 PM

Activity: 192
March 05, 2014, 10:48:06 PM
sorry if this was already asked, if i have an altcoin withdrawal that shows complete but never received and doesn't show on the block chain explorer, does that mean it was part of the frozen withdrawals and will come through eventually.
legendary
Activity: 963
Merit: 1002
March 05, 2014, 10:23:51 PM
Just got the email with all the details people have been asking for.
Activity: 222
Merit: 101
Novus ordo seclorum
March 05, 2014, 10:17:51 PM
So my idea would be this:  
Do an IPO on Cryptostock to immediately cover the loss and pay off the debt.  Decide how much you are going to pay back to the investors.  Lets say that I can invest 1 BTC and you will pay back 2 BTC over six months.  I would do that... I would pitch in 1 BTC to help the fix... and others would too....  its an immediate fix.... then we can trade the shares on cryptostock like coins... If you are interested... I would sponsor the IPO....since I am already set up on Cryptostock.
/fasbit

fastbit! that's very kind of you guys, got shares of fas & grid! good ipo Grin
you should do that for poloniex and you rise back from the ashes like a phoenix!
Activity: 259
March 05, 2014, 10:01:30 PM
I think the owner is doing a good job under tough circumstances. I think it will be important, if he agrees, that he continues to give period updates on improvements as they occur over time.
Pages:
Jump to: