Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex - page 4. (Read 167416 times)

Activity: 124
Merit: 100
March 13, 2014, 11:06:52 PM
Hmm just noticed I had .1 btc taken out from the theft, but I didnt have 1 btc to lose that much (I had like .5 or so, so I lost like 20%).... any explanation or should i contact owner?
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
March 13, 2014, 12:06:38 PM

By moved do you mean withdraw?  The site allowed you to withdraw to a non-existent Bitcoin address?

I also think you should just been sent by mistake Sad, still send normal Polo

http://i.imgur.com/NrTfI7N.jpg
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 13, 2014, 11:40:09 AM
I moved the wrong BTC AUR wallet right now how to get back?

BTC   0.16744488   AP7UeiGKwrwt9wc54ob99Vp5NKNYDdRsob   2014-03-01 12:44:16   COMPLETE: ERROR

By moved do you mean withdraw?  The site allowed you to withdraw to a non-existent Bitcoin address?
Activity: 3
March 13, 2014, 11:34:34 AM
I moved the wrong BTC AUR wallet right now how to get back?

BTC   0.16744488   AP7UeiGKwrwt9wc54ob99Vp5NKNYDdRsob   2014-03-01 12:44:16   COMPLETE: ERROR
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
March 13, 2014, 09:52:49 AM
The owner of Poloniex is trying to do the right thing.
Actually he is trying to do something he says it's the right thing.
Quite different.

Anyone who can afford it should give him support.
Many people gave him free advices.
Do you want more than that?
Activity: 31
March 13, 2014, 04:49:19 AM
@Busoni: kudos for being honest and trying to do the right thing!

Also like the fact you personally emailed everyone!

Fix it and keep at it. And: keep positive. If you do I am sure you will recover all your losses.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
March 13, 2014, 12:32:10 AM
sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.

This is getting really old. Do you even read what you write?

Instead of him paying us all back, you think he should declare bankruptcy and pay us nothing?

He obviously hasn't been making huge profits, or he'd have paid back the money already. He hasn't "made" anyone trust him with their money; they all chose to do so of their own accord by using his exchange. Also, he hasn't "cried" about it in the slightest; you're the one apparently "crying".

lol  not crying , i dont even have account with them . They should go bankrupt - I will make the next exchange better and stronger

Well I, being essentially a bondholder of Poloni, would much prefer they not go bankrupt and completely remove any chance I have of getting my BTC back, especially considering I believe my chances of full repayment are quite good, seeing how the first one has gone out already.

On a related note, all this talk about how Polo's screwup shouldn't affect its customers is idealistic nonsense: it's not an insured bank, and let me tell you, if you had "real" money in an uninsured bank that got robbed (though no fault of yours), you, the depositor, would most certainly be affected.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
March 12, 2014, 04:51:49 PM
Eventually someone will start a BTC insurance policy to cover losses upto 80 BTC for 0.005 BTC a month.

At least Polniex is open, honest, and working out a way to pay back users harmed by the theft.
Eventually, possibly. But with the repeated incidents where service operators announce they've been the victim of theft and there's been no follow up, I should think that no insurer will insure against bitcoin loss any time soon.

Most likely not until there is already a local legal precedent that bitcoins are considered assets, and there's been some successful criminal prosecutions, in my opinion.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
March 12, 2014, 12:45:28 PM
You seem to be putting alot of effort in here Smoothie. Whats the agenda?

Someone who states the facts, and predicts what is more likely to happen in the future.
Someone who ignores everything that happened in the past, and dreams of rainbows and fairies in the future.

Who is more likely to have an agenda?

The opposite may be true.   

The owner of Poloniex is trying to do the right thing. Anyone who can afford it should give him support.

Activity: 63
Merit: 10
March 12, 2014, 08:42:02 AM

Someone who states the facts, and predicts what is more likely to happen in the future.
Someone who ignores everything that happened in the past, and dreams of rainbows and fairies in the future.

Who is more likely to have an agenda?
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
March 12, 2014, 05:04:41 AM
MTGOX GETS HACKED in 2011

MTGOX RECOVERS AND RUNS OK UNTIL MID 2013

MTGOX SHUTS DOWN DUE TO ANOTHER HACK/THEFT 2014 (FEB)

POLONIEX GETS HACKED in 2014

POLONIEX RECOVERS AND RUNS OKAY UNTIL 20XX

POLONIEX SHUTS DOWN DUE TO ANOTHER HACK/THEFT in 20XX.

See a pattern? Roll Eyes BEWARE

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
March 12, 2014, 01:31:56 AM
MTGOX GETS HACKED in 2011

MTGOX RECOVERS AND RUNS OK UNTIL MID 2013

MTGOX SHUTS DOWN DUE TO ANOTHER HACK/THEFT 2014 (FEB)

POLONIEX GETS HACKED in 2014

POLONIEX RECOVERS AND RUNS OKAY UNTIL 20XX

POLONIEX SHUTS DOWN DUE TO ANOTHER HACK/THEFT in 20XX.

See a pattern? Roll Eyes BEWARE
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
March 12, 2014, 12:33:46 AM
Eventually someone will start a BTC insurance policy to cover losses upto 80 BTC for 0.005 BTC a month.

At least Polniex is open, honest, and working out a way to pay back users harmed by the theft.
Activity: 8
March 11, 2014, 11:02:09 PM
I love the ownership and your ability to let your users know on the open forums whats going on ASAP. Sucks that much was taken though :/
March 11, 2014, 09:13:31 PM
Small bug leads to lost BTC, and a huge revelation. Why aren’t all exchanges doing this?

Because bitcoind "accounts" system doesn't scale beyond a couple hundred users.  If your system relies on it, well that will be an exciting day when you realize you have a complete recode in front of you.  You will notice performance issues at around a thousand accounts or ten thousand transactions.  RPC calls involving accounts will start to takes hundreds and then thousands of milliseconds.  

We'll see. I just did some testing based on your post. Took baseline transaction time checks for getinfo, listaccounts, and a sendtoaddress. Then added 4000 accounts. Sent a small transaction to about half of them. Ran the time checks on those 3 functions again. Getinfo was the same, listaccounts obviously took a little longer (24ms), and sendtoaddress was actually faster by about 100 miliseconds.

Memory usage didn't change.

Obviously it's not a real world test case, but I dont believe the RPC server will crap out anytime soon. But we'll know to watch for it. Thanks for the info.

I did wind up with a 23gig db.log file though Wink
March 11, 2014, 07:28:34 PM
Poloniex has great customer service. That is all, what I can say. They'll take the trade business seriously.

It shows integrity - for the first time since any of these things started happening.

I honestly don't know the details of the repayment - so I cannot comment. *IF* they hiked fees to pay people back thats pretty crappy, but again, I'm only commenting on posts I read that may have been uninformed.

But the fact he owned up, made public the details, and was honest? It shows a hell of a lot more promise than any other snafu thats happened.
Activity: 565
Crypto enthusiast for years.
March 11, 2014, 07:16:38 PM
Poloniex has great customer service. That is all, what I can say. They'll take the trade business seriously.
Activity: 599
March 11, 2014, 07:00:26 PM
loss/theft was due to the exchanges incompetence,  this is not the customers fault.  If the theft was only 50k and this guy running an exchange cant pay 50k back, then he is a liar and has no business running this company.

I mean when the exchange is doing good,  he is not sharing those profits with his customers.  By the same token if his exchange is having problems then he shouldn't make the customers pay for it in any way.   

People should show a little more anger, instead of thanking the guy for his incompetence

Same View I have ,
Activity: 599
March 11, 2014, 06:57:16 PM
sorry . but your business was hack , so it should be Ur business that take the lost . Image if paypal lost money from a bad employee. We wouldn't stand for our account to be lock or our balance to be touch. Surly Poloniex has made 10% in profit.

Poloniex should declare bankrupt of they cant afford the lost , It time for competent people to start running these type of business.

Your happy when your making huge profits with fees , Making us trust you with our money , then cry when you cant manage your affair.

This is getting really old. Do you even read what you write?

Instead of him paying us all back, you think he should declare bankruptcy and pay us nothing?

He obviously hasn't been making huge profits, or he'd have paid back the money already. He hasn't "made" anyone trust him with their money; they all chose to do so of their own accord by using his exchange. Also, he hasn't "cried" about it in the slightest; you're the one apparently "crying".

lol  not crying , i dont even have account with them . They should go bankrupt - I will make the next exchange better and stronger
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 11, 2014, 03:55:35 PM
Small bug leads to lost BTC, and a huge revelation. Why aren’t all exchanges doing this?

Because bitcoind "accounts" system doesn't scale beyond a couple hundred users.  If your system relies on it, well that will be an exciting day when you realize you have a complete recode in front of you.  You will notice performance issues at around a thousand accounts or ten thousand transactions.  RPC calls involving accounts will start to takes hundreds and then thousands of milliseconds. 
Pages:
Jump to: