Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex - page 7. (Read 167416 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
March 09, 2014, 03:34:28 AM
busoni, you need to shut down Poloniex now and try to make your users whole from your own funds and debt. Do not continue trying to run an exchange. Your post mortem indicates that you do not have sufficient programming ability to handle other peoples money - no mention was even made of database transactions, which are a basic "database programming 101" topic. Your proposed fix of checking for negative balances is wrong and indicates that your code is almost certainly riddled with other exploitable bugs.

Please do the right thing and refund everyones outstanding balances, then wind up your operation.

This comment was from Mike Hearn, senior developer at google.

And yes mike is right.  The developer of Poloniex have no knowledge about database transactions and handle code in multithreaded environment.

Indeed. Poloniex is probably a disaster waiting to happen. All the honesty and hard work of busoni won't change that fact.

He was already warned with the XCP bug exploit and didn't learned the lesson, although he had his get out of jail free card by being was reimbursed of the stolen BTC.

The only question here is : Will the confiscated BTC be repaid before the next disaster ?

Guys this was not a Mark K/Mt Gox type of situation.  Busoni was sharp enough to discover the hack and take measures to ensure more wasn't stolen.  Mike Hearn's comments were more "talking-down" than helpful, quite honestly.  I've read his comments on the Mt Gox situation and they were nowhere as harsh as the comment above even though the Mt Gox fiasco was several orders of magnitude larger.  The point that I'm trying to make is, everyone seems to be an armchair quarterback with the code running these exchanges.  However, the people that seem to know best aren't actually helping these exchanges get better. 

The industry average is ~ 10 to 20 bugs per 1k LOC and it's probably fair to state that bitcoind has more lines of code than a small web-based exchange, like Poloniex...  Roll Eyes  All of the finger pointing needs to stop and the community needs to help these exchanges get better.

Finger pointing is justified by his fuck up. No one needs to help him get his broken exchange working better. It isn't anyone's responsibility but his to get it working properly.

Taking the victim mentality on Mike's comments rather than taking wisdom from it is foolish.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
March 09, 2014, 03:35:09 AM
Can I deposit BTC and trade? If I do, will a part of those BTCs be eaten too?

I wouldn't if I were you.

Mostly because I sent a deposit of Coino coins over an hour ago... they are yet to appear in my balance...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
March 09, 2014, 03:32:51 AM
Can I deposit BTC and trade? If I do, will a part of those BTCs be eaten too?
Activity: 329
Merit: 250
March 09, 2014, 12:40:06 AM
It is understandable. People are on a very fine trigger since mtg. Keep cool guys.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Crackpot Idealist
March 08, 2014, 09:49:40 PM
busoni, you need to shut down Poloniex now and try to make your users whole from your own funds and debt. Do not continue trying to run an exchange. Your post mortem indicates that you do not have sufficient programming ability to handle other peoples money - no mention was even made of database transactions, which are a basic "database programming 101" topic. Your proposed fix of checking for negative balances is wrong and indicates that your code is almost certainly riddled with other exploitable bugs.

Please do the right thing and refund everyones outstanding balances, then wind up your operation.

And yes mike is right.  The developer of Poloniex have no knowledge about database transactions and handle code in multithreaded environment.

holy fuck get out of town! some lackey for the great satan of our age says shit is fucked? I have to go change my diaper cause I am shitting my pants. Hows about the cunts at google stick to war profiteering from the internets and our privacy and leave the cryptos to us delusional asses.

Next lets get some zombie Rocefeller's to give financial advice. What the fuck are you dumb shits thinking?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
March 08, 2014, 05:05:44 PM

And yes mike is right.  The developer of Poloniex have no knowledge about database transactions and handle code in multithreaded environment.

I do have sufficient programming ability to secure the exchange, and will be doing this with Tristan next week.
Activity: 140
March 08, 2014, 04:37:41 PM

Indeed. Poloniex is probably a disaster waiting to happen. All the honesty and hard work of busoni won't change that fact.

He was already warned with the XCP bug exploit and didn't learned the lesson, although he had his get out of jail free card by being was reimbursed of the stolen BTC.

The only question here is : Will the confiscated BTC be repaid before the next disaster ?

Guys this was not a Mark K/Mt Gox type of situation.  Busoni was sharp enough to discover the hack and take measures to ensure more wasn't stolen.  Mike Hearn's comments were more "talking-down" than helpful, quite honestly.  I've read his comments on the Mt Gox situation and they were nowhere as harsh as the comment above even though the Mt Gox fiasco was several orders of magnitude larger.  The point that I'm trying to make is, everyone seems to be an armchair quarterback with the code running these exchanges.  However, the people that seem to know best aren't actually helping these exchanges get better. 

The industry average is ~ 10 to 20 bugs per 1k LOC and it's probably fair to state that bitcoind has more lines of code than a small web-based exchange, like Poloniex...  Roll Eyes  All of the finger pointing needs to stop and the community needs to help these exchanges get better.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
March 08, 2014, 03:18:38 PM

Activity: 42
March 08, 2014, 01:36:17 PM

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
March 08, 2014, 06:30:38 AM
My withdraw in today complete quickly, but my withdraw in yesterday in still in processing.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
March 08, 2014, 04:48:30 AM
I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT ..... IM FUCKING LOSING MONEY U GET  IT Huh?? JUST FIX THE THE FUCKING WITHDRAW .... i won't use this fucking shit again

Are you OK now?
Activity: 125
March 08, 2014, 04:33:18 AM
NOW THE Deposite and Withdraw is OK?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Just made a UTC withdrawal normally.
Activity: 329
March 08, 2014, 02:16:12 AM
I still have a 350 AUR withdrawal deducted from my balance even though the transfer never occurred.

Seems I put that withdraw order in around the same time as the attack.

Waiting patiently...

Iv'e been away for a bit.

Just now I put in a new ticket as per the recent tweet to put in all support requests via Freshdesk.

Got solved in an hour.

Wow! good job. Smiley
Activity: 13
March 08, 2014, 02:15:19 AM
I accidentally had my coinmarket.io withdrawal sent here. CoinMarket tells me that it is confirmed, but offered no txid. I have yet to see it in my account and I need help.
Activity: 364
Owner of Poloniex
March 08, 2014, 12:40:18 AM
I'd just like to emerge from the woodwork and say that I am still working very hard on things. There are loads of support tickets to get through, and I've been cleaning up code and making under-the-hood improvements, as well as monitoring usage and keeping a much smaller amount in the hot wallet than before, which requires watching when there is a general trend of withdrawing. I've also begun searching for developers, and I've begun talking to a few already. The first payout returning stolen BTC will occur this weekend.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Crackpot Idealist
March 07, 2014, 11:44:28 PM
ok sure, it's the first time i've been flat out robbed in cryptos and for the time frame, thats probably not too bad all things considered, but I do really like trading here. Sure, shit gets real here and there, but the sailing most of the time is super smooth.

I'm not trying to downplay the very rocky performance of this exchange (and its been bloody rocky) but all in all I still do 90% of my market trades here and will continue to do so for the simple reason that every time it gets fucked, something is done in response. It might not always work out, but ffs I think you would be hard pressed to say that the dev is not trying hard to bring the best product.

Can it be done better? Of course! Get off your arse and do it yourself then!

In the end of the day, its not as bad as fucking gox.
Activity: 35
March 07, 2014, 09:07:16 PM
 NOW THE Deposite and Withdraw is OK?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
March 07, 2014, 07:03:52 PM
withdraw and deposits have been great today
Activity: 150
March 07, 2014, 05:59:18 PM
ok honest im ok with it
Activity: 59
March 07, 2014, 05:47:45 PM
I deposited 100k USDE not long ago if anyone can help me, it hasnt shown up, been about 24hrs now.
Pages:
Jump to: