Pages:
Author

Topic: [BTE] The Bytecoin Information Thread - page 8. (Read 79034 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 1
August 05, 2018, 12:28:49 PM
I think she used to be strong, now it's a different time and everything changes. With each time, everything happens, only somewhere sad, but somewhere positive. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Activity: 90
Merit: 0
August 05, 2018, 12:07:57 PM
I just realized a significant short-cut that I can take.  I am doing that silly thing of programming with urgency, brewing much coffee, and putting off sleep.  I hope it works.

The short-cut will eliminate the need to solve a difficult problem during the transition from BTE to BTE-HT. 

I am in the flush of thinking everything is now solved.  If you have programmed very long, you will recognize this phase, and laugh.

However, some questions have a new urgency.

1.  Can anyone build the windows client?  If not, I can learn how, but it will cause a delay.
2.  How much is my effort worth, in coins?
3.  What is the name and symbol of the forked coin?  BHT, for Bytecoin-Hard Turtle, comes to mind but there is a name collision with the BitHub exchange.  I think that keeping the same name after a hard-fork will cause confusion.

I have artwork and another name ready to go, but I want to hear from the community.

I will give you 10,000 BTE for your efforts.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
August 05, 2018, 10:57:30 AM
I just realized a significant short-cut that I can take.  I am doing that silly thing of programming with urgency, brewing much coffee, and putting off sleep.  I hope it works.

The short-cut will eliminate the need to solve a difficult problem during the transition from BTE to BTE-HT. 

I am in the flush of thinking everything is now solved.  If you have programmed very long, you will recognize this phase, and laugh.

However, some questions have a new urgency.

1.  Can anyone build the windows client?  If not, I can learn how, but it will cause a delay.
2.  How much is my effort worth, in coins?
3.  What is the name and symbol of the forked coin?  BHT, for Bytecoin-Hard Turtle, comes to mind but there is a name collision with the BitHub exchange.  I think that keeping the same name after a hard-fork will cause confusion.

I have artwork and another name ready to go, but I want to hear from the community.

legendary
August 02, 2018, 02:45:57 AM
Hi prof,

It's been a while since I've actively mined and compiled a wallet. I helped out with BTE way back and still have a wallet.

I've got a virtual Ubuntu box setup and would like to see what's in my wallet and, for now, if you think it's still viable do some GPU / CPU mining.

Just wondering what the best repo is to compile from?

Thanks Smiley

"difficulty" : 1056741.21450361
I think that with a 2nd generation ASIC, 83 GH/s, it would take 15 hours or so to mine a block.  CPU is currently not useful.
My work all uses the ahmed-bodi repo on GitHub, as mentioned a post or two above.  I have a Ubuntu 14.04 virtual machine that I build from scripts.  It is public on my GitHub

However ... that possibly controversial thing I mentioned ...

I am going to re-mine the entire block-chain.  All the existing transactions will be preserved, including the coinbase transactions.  
This will take fewer hashes than mining the current difficulty for the next few hundred blocks.  The difficulty should be 1 when all 58,330 or so Legacy blocks have been repair-mined.
Most of my development time has been spent on this aspect of the project.  It has been "a learning experience."
Most of the block timestamps will be very similar to the Legacy timestamps.
I will interleave the Legacy blocks (even number, starting with Genesis at 0) with new Repair blocks.  The new repair blocks will have nuanced payout structure.
  25% for the current miner, to pay for their help in repairing the Legacy blockchain.
  25% for the people who are registered on that Google form I posted a while back, to create some excitement.
  50% at half the value of the previous Legacy block payouts, to pay me for my development time.

I am almost ready to open this up to the public.  Initially, it will be at difficulty 1.0.  In addition, I have put in support for "Legacy Time" so that a high hash rate miner will churn out blocks, but the timestamps, which are all Legacy and in the past, will conform to the newer stringent Hard Turtle rules.  I expect complete chaos when this is launched, with many people doing things, ahem, that I haven't thought of.

It turns out that it is possible to mine a Legacy *bitcoin* block into this new blockchain.

ROTFL.  If you have a bitcoin wallet from 2013, and you do a dumpprivkey on your address, and you take that output and you do a importprivkey to the bytecoin client, you get a bytecoin 8 address.  And then, if I/we re-mine a bitcoin coinbase that pays that address into a new BTE-HT block, all the payouts appear as 8 addresses and your imported 8 address works.  The transaction has the identical transaction ID.    Yes, I have tested this.  Yes, I was skeptical.  Yes, I read the C++ code really, really carefully.    I am toying with the idea of re-mining all the bitcoin coinbase blocks that pay out to address 18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC.  This will give me 80 BTE, not that much really, but it will bring in a huge community of other bitcoin miners who mined at Eligius.  This should help revive the coin.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8yfSnu9pInRhHkJWxNkawb8b-0T5L5TaFpVG52PqbVk1H9A/viewform?usp=sf_link

I am currently working on a small number of tasks.
1.  Modify the RPC login so that the username is a bytecoin address and the password is ignored, and multiple people can log in.  This will allow miners to run the Garzik minerd miner and use blocktemplate.  I will run this client in a virtual machine and the community can mine from it.
2.  There are some race conditions when I fetch a Legacy block via RPC and build the internal structures to support blocktemplate and also the internal CPU miner.  My experience with race conditions is not in the C++ environment, so this is slow slogging.  I want it to be reliable before the chaos begins.
3.  For whatever misguided reason, I stopped and made a "vanity address" generator task and put it into the miner.  I needed a break, and I learned some more of the data structures in the client, so it was not totally misguided.  I am actually quite pleased with this, in a guilty cat that ate the canary sort of way.  
4.  I also had to master git for the Hard Turtle effort.  It has been a busy year.  I think that I can publish "orthogonal" branches, for example the vanity address, the Genesis-difficulty adjustment, the standard difficulty modifications, the resurrected code to make a new Genesis block.  I suspect that a clever person can "git merge" whichever of these orthogonal branches they want in a clean way.  This is at the edge of my current expertise with git, and will take a bit of effort to disentangle all the merges from this year into these orthogonal tasks.  I may decide this is too much effort, and just publish my branch as it is.

Most academics really try to clean up all the mess of development before they publish.  I am transitioning from finishing a few tasks to editing and publishing the work, and a managed roll-out.

Activity: 45
August 01, 2018, 06:30:10 PM
I have the windows wallet however exclusively as an exe. It runs yet finds no associations (have not attempted it as of late).
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
August 01, 2018, 04:10:29 PM
I would Like Some help to build a windows Client. I Have Built in the current bitcoin build environment using Debian, But I'm not at all sure if I would attract any Users. does anyone know if there are any BTc pools still out there running these Days, I Think it would be great if we all showed the Coinplorer guys some love for providing this service, and if we let them know how great Bytecoin is, However this basic idea is to accept the block with the highest difficulty instead of the block that is first.  Then, to keep accepting blocks for at least an hour since the 6th previous block. so for a one man band you're doing a Simply Amazing job...!

Can you build the most recent ahmed-bodi Git for windows?
If so, publish the sha-256 for the binary here.  We'll figure out how to transfer a copy to me, we might use scp to my machine using your public key.  I can put together an IPv6 website pretty easily.

https://github.com/ahmedbodi/bytecoin

Sorry I should have read things properly - I assume we're still working from the GitHub link there just now?
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
August 01, 2018, 04:08:30 PM
Hi prof,

It's been a while since I've actively mined and compiled a wallet. I helped out with BTE way back and still have a wallet.

I've got a virtual Ubuntu box setup and would like to see what's in my wallet and, for now, if you think it's still viable do some GPU / CPU mining.

Just wondering what the best repo is to compile from?

Thanks Smiley
legendary
August 01, 2018, 03:26:42 PM
I would Like Some help to build a windows Client. I Have Built in the current bitcoin build environment using Debian, But I'm not at all sure if I would attract any Users. does anyone know if there are any BTc pools still out there running these Days, I Think it would be great if we all showed the Coinplorer guys some love for providing this service, and if we let them know how great Bytecoin is, However this basic idea is to accept the block with the highest difficulty instead of the block that is first.  Then, to keep accepting blocks for at least an hour since the 6th previous block. so for a one man band you're doing a Simply Amazing job...!

Can you build the most recent ahmed-bodi Git for windows?
If so, publish the sha-256 for the binary here.  We'll figure out how to transfer a copy to me, we might use scp to my machine using your public key.  I can put together an IPv6 website pretty easily.

https://github.com/ahmedbodi/bytecoin

Activity: 24
August 01, 2018, 11:51:37 AM
I would Like Some help to build a windows Client. I Have Built in the current bitcoin build environment using Debian, But I'm not at all sure if I would attract any Users. does anyone know if there are any BTc pools still out there running these Days, I Think it would be great if we all showed the Coinplorer guys some love for providing this service, and if we let them know how great Bytecoin is, However this basic idea is to accept the block with the highest difficulty instead of the block that is first.  Then, to keep accepting blocks for at least an hour since the 6th previous block. so for a one man band you're doing a Simply Amazing job...!
August 01, 2018, 11:48:36 AM
Ubuntu, my favorite flavor of linux.
legendary
August 01, 2018, 11:26:45 AM
When do you expect to release the fork Prof? Ill test it out as soon as you do. You convinced me.

Can you work on Ubuntu?  I have not worked through making a build for windows.
August 01, 2018, 07:35:58 AM
When do you expect to release the fork Prof? Ill test it out as soon as you do. You convinced me.
legendary
July 31, 2018, 08:12:20 PM
Strip mining and Hard Turtle capability.

The miners must be fairly compensated.  The block-chain must remain functional and receive useful service from the miners.  

median-25

The Legacy miner, that all of us share, looks to the median block time for the previous 11 blocks.  A new block can be timestamped with that time, but not older.

To analyse a sequence of times, such as the block time, the Poisson analysis is often used.  This analysis can tell us how many sequences to expect at different total elapsed times.

I asked the question, how many blocks back do I need to look so that I can reject blocks that are mined too fast but not reject too many blocks that an honest miner is mining when he has a lucky streak.

I decided that I should not discard more than 1 block per interval (the name of 2016 blocks) mined by an honest miner, and I should discard most of the blocks from a strip-miner.  I decided that a strip mining occurs when the blocks are coming in more than 2X (or 4X, I tried several analyses and am not looking at the code right now) based on median-35.

To implement this in code, I have to look at the median for the past 35 blocks.  There are some circumstances when the clients will disagree on whether to accept or reject a block when they look at 11 or 35 blocks, so this forces a hard fork.

In addition, the Legacy miner allows the timestamp of the median-17 block to be used over and over.  I require the timestamp to advance.  Again, I have tried several options and I am not looking at my code right now.  One requirement that I did try was 600/2 * (17+1) seconds.  This closes off the ability for a strip-miner to just stack lots of blocks with the same timestamp.

future blocks

The blockchain is, in it's simplest, a series of timestamps with some data carried along.  The Legacy miner accepts blocks with timestamps up to 2 hours in the future.  A strip-miner can keep mining blocks and advancing the timestamp.  This does not contribute to the safety of the financial data, it falsifies the timestamp, and the block chain is giving value to the strip-miner without receiving enough valuable service in return.  I have changed this limit so that it is 600 sec/block for the 17+1 blocks since the median-35.

Some miners will put high powered ASICs onto the blockchain nonetheless.  To assimilate their effort, when the next block would be too far in the future, the BTE-HT client gives a block template with two distinctions.  It requests a more stringent hash, and the previous block hash points to the previous block hash of the tip, and not to the tip itself.  This causes stale blocks to be generated that are siblings of the current best block.  These blocks have a better hash (more specified work) than the existing blocks.  This, in turn, causes the block chain to be more and more resistant to attack.  I call this process "annealing."  I have used karate think to turn an attack into a service.

BTE-HT Blocks are chosen based on the actual hash, rather than the nBits difficulty.  This is a subtle point.  Also, the 1st block is no longer the "winner" but the best actual hash is the winner.  Some core developers are hostile to this change.

An ASIC miner who is only motivated by strip mining will inadvertently help the BTE-HT blockchain while receiving a fair compensation, but not a excessive unfair amount of compensation.  If the miner does not like the economics of this decision, he can deliver fewer hashes to the BTE-HT network.  The window between the hashrate for the previous interval, and twice the hashrate for the previous interval will compensate a miner in line with the current difficulty.

Time Since Genesis

It has been almost 5 years since the genesis block, and we are under 60,000 blocks.  I worked with PID controllers in a lab for a while, and they have more feedback than the legacy block client does.  The long term stability would be to adjust the genesis-difficulty according to the production rate since the genesis block.  I use the geometric mean of the Legacy difficulty adjustment and the genesis difficulty adjustment.  In the short term, meaning the next few intervals, this will cause the difficulty to calculate lower because of the 1.5 years with no block generation.  

The Legacy clients limit the difficulty adjustment to a factor of 4.  I kept that limitation.  That means that the next difficulty adjustment with BTE-HT will be 1/4 of the current difficulty.  This agrees with the difficulty adjustment of the Legacy client.  So the two clients will agree on the difficulty and nBits for at least 1 interval after the next adjustment.

Pool Mining

With deliberate stale blocks, it seems fair to pay out for all of the hashes submitted rather than winner take all.  This will be in release 2 of BTE-HT

Controversy

The items above comprise my concept of Hard Turtle technology.  In my formal opinion, they are all necessary.

I have also done some things that are not essential to Hard Turtle technology, and which will be controversial.  More about that later.  It will be possible to include them or not.

July 29, 2018, 12:06:27 PM
I presume you saw the old url on the Info page of the site. In the wake of seeing your post I simply transformed it on the pool. Sorry about the perplexity, when the pool was moved to it's present host that thing was missed.

Yes that makes sense. Now just tweak the regulator so that the intake pulls in as fast as possible without clogging the userpool.

Blocks ARE FLYING!
Activity: 33
July 28, 2018, 01:05:49 PM
I presume you saw the old url on the Info page of the site. In the wake of seeing your post I simply transformed it on the pool. Sorry about the perplexity, when the pool was moved to it's present host that thing was missed.
July 25, 2018, 01:34:44 PM
This coins new name is HTC coin.
Hard Turtle Coin
July 25, 2018, 08:59:08 AM
"8 AntMiners running full force" What coin are they mining? Doesn't sound like BTE? Just more BS.

If you are in such a big hurry, why haven't you started up your own node, which several here have suggested previously. You're enthusiasm sounds like a lot of BS otherwise.

Block 58,302!

Lets GO!!

I have 8 AntMiners running full force and 2 microwave ovens modded with asics hashing till brown.

I dont have any BitShares moviellan but I have 0.00034567 BTE from pool mining
Activity: 347
Merit: 100
July 25, 2018, 08:18:52 AM
"8 AntMiners running full force" What coin are they mining? Doesn't sound like BTE? Just more BS.

If you are in such a big hurry, why haven't you started up your own node, which several here have suggested previously. You're enthusiasm sounds like a lot of BS otherwise.

Block 58,302!

Lets GO!!

I have 8 AntMiners running full force and 2 microwave ovens modded with asics hashing till brown.
July 24, 2018, 07:56:16 PM

Block 58,302!

Lets GO!!

Activity: 347
Merit: 100
July 24, 2018, 07:28:51 PM

Block 58,302!

Lets GO!!
Pages:
Jump to: