Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 15. (Read 186899 times)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100
Злобный Ых
Very interesting, what's the possible price ?

We had targeted ~15-30$ for high numbers ( 1000pcs) but single parts will be more pricy.

If anyone is seriously interested i could produce them on my little milling mashine but thats gonna be a significant higher price.

What price can be for 10 pcs?
Activity: 410
Merit: 252
Watercooling the world of mining
What number of coupled units do you think will be the max before pressure issues abound?
I have tested the units up to 5 bar with no leaking. If big stackings were interesting for the customer the next gen would feature bigger pipelines.
Maybe  1/2" instead of 1/4".

We had targeted ~15-30$ for high numbers ( 1000pcs) but single parts will be more pricy.

If anyone is seriously interested i could produce them on my little milling mashine but thats gonna be a significant higher price.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Will you be selling the coolers, or at least licensing the design to BFL? They show them on their website, after all. I thought it was them that created them, but I guess it was you.

What are the approximate flow restriction and pressure numbers for each block? Does it work on an unmodified rev2 or rev3 single PCB?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
What number of coupled units do you think will be the max before pressure issues abound?
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Hello everybody.

As this thread features all BFL devices i wanted to spread some pictures of my recent developments here.
Nameingly i havedesigned and build water cooling blocks for the BFL single versions in for BFL.
But as this project has been agreed to be delayed to the next generation of boards for volume production, i wanted to show my prototypes here at least.
Some pixels:

My water cooled rig at work  2.4 Gh/s.

High density per heith.

Two of the prototype coolers coupled.

I created also coolers for the x6500 board and wil do so for the lancelot.

Questions, critique, and ideas are welcome Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
This 15 device limit is separate from the pdcurses fuckup having to do with the cmd prompt window size?

15 devices, cgminer 2.4.1, window size 120x50: crash on startup
15 devices, cgminer 2.3.6, window size 120x50: works fine

EDIT: I've just had another Single go into the 'OFF' state (cgminer 2.4.2). That clinches it; I'm rolling back to 2.3.6.
Well I put up a pull request that might be related to this ... then spent a day arguing with Luke-jr coz he saw it as a problem in BFGMiner ... and I still have no idea why he has any say in what goes into the BFL code in cgminer ...
(what a fucking waste of time that was)

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/215
(fun read that Tongue)

Anyway, the change relates to 3 issues, the 3rd one I haven't confirmed if it fixes it yet or not.
1) BFL doesn't display an ERR (only a DEBUG message) if it fails to open a device (so you don't know unless you have debug on)
2) Telling cgminer that a device is a 'bitforce:' or an 'icarus:' doesn't stop it from trying to open an invalid device name (and ignoring the error)
3) I think 2) may be the cause of getting an error on windows7 64bit where it's running in 32bit emulation and has a limit to the number of USB ports that can be opened and I think that opening an invalid device that includes something that looks like a USB port in the name may use up the limited number of available USB ports in 32bit mode

The reason why it's changed between 2.3.6 and 2.4.2 (other than that change listed above by P_Shep) is that the lead dev wanted me to include a change from BFGMiner into cgminer that Luke-jr did to resolve an issue he had with the BFL code hanging on opening an Icarus
He was given an Icarus and then put in a change to attempt Icarus first before BFL rather than fix the BFL problem.
As you can see from the minor and simple change request I made above, it is no point me even trying to fix BFL problems ...

I've also told him a simple change to BFL to match like I did in Icarus regarding aborting work on an LP (instead of hashing on invalid data when submit stale is switched off) but he wont implement it since (according to him) it will not work with the code (i.e. he can't do it Tongue) and his other excuse was that there will be a new firmware to resolve this real soon now ... (4-6 weeks?) ...

P.S. 'quit' quits cgminer ...
legendary
This is not OK.
I don't know what exactly 'quit' does. It may exit the whole program, or maybe it just terminates the thread. If the thread terminates, maybe cgminer starts it back up? I'm not familier enough with the code.
Either way the whole BFL driver code needs re-writing. It's not at all robust.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
This:

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/commit/06023e549efa649979b501cd448e1098b715860f

came in between 2.3.6 and 2.4.0. Might have something to do with it.
So 2.3.6 would terminate the application if a write-error was encountered, while 2.4.1+ simply continues running but sets the device as 'OFF'. Yes, this is consistent with the behavior I am seeing.

I will set up to test 2.3.6 again, to verify if cgminer quits (signifying a Single failure) over the next week. If the Singles fail as often as I am seeing now, I should expect to see something within the next 2 days but I'll wait a week to be more certain.

Thanks for the info, P_Shep.
legendary
This is not OK.
This:

https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/commit/06023e549efa649979b501cd448e1098b715860f

came in between 2.3.6 and 2.4.0. Might have something to do with it.
legendary
This 15 device limit is separate from the pdcurses fuckup having to do with the cmd prompt window size?

15 devices, cgminer 2.4.1, window size 120x50: crash on startup
15 devices, cgminer 2.3.6, window size 120x50: works fine

EDIT: I've just had another Single go into the 'OFF' state (cgminer 2.4.2). That clinches it; I'm rolling back to 2.3.6.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Since people are weighing in, I had issues with 1 of my 2 singles using CGminer 2.4.1 under BAMT.  It would either a) show OFF, or b) Show as if it was hashing, but the accepted shares would not increase and the reported hash rate would slowly (and I mean sloooowly) decrease over time.  I moved them over to a win7 machine using cgminer 2.4.1 and have not had an issue since.
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468
And works??? For what? Permanently disabling a perfectly good BFL single, just because there was some hiccup somewhere for a brief moment?

I was being sarcastic.  Good luck arguing it with Kano or Con.
legendary
Activity: 952
I have one Single working now under CGminer 2.4.2 and before 2.4.1 without any problems, but I use Windows Server 2003

Lucky you.  2.4.1 and 2.4.2 has the same error handling with regards to  this issue.

FWIW:
I have a Win7/x64 rig with (1) 5870 and (5) BFL Singles running 2.4.1 for over two weeks without issue. None of them have dropped offline, all are running 832 fw, CGminer says 826Mh/s.

Lots of observations coming in. Some people have trouble, some don't. With 5 Singles running for 2 weeks I would have expected the issue to crop up at least once. This is part of the reason that makes this 'issue' (or non-issue) difficult to pin down. Bottom line is that if the program is working for someone, then they have no worries. For the others experiencing issues, a workaround would seem to be switching back to 2.3.6.

This may or may not be related, but I noticed that 2.4.1+ will NOT run 15 devices. It will crash immediately. With 2.3.6 I was able to run 15 devices fine. I merely point this out as an example of something, which used to work, being inadvertently 'broken' in 2.4.1+.

legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468
I have one Single working now under CGminer 2.4.2 and before 2.4.1 without any problems, but I use Windows Server 2003

Lucky you.  2.4.1 and 2.4.2 has the same error handling with regards to  this issue.
legendary

Lucky you.  2.4.1 and 2.4.2 has the same error handling with regards to  this issue.

FWIW:
I have a Win7/x64 rig with (1) 5870 and (5) BFL Singles running 2.4.1 for over two weeks without issue. None of them have dropped offline, all are running 832 fw, CGminer says 826Mh/s.

Lots of observations coming in. Some people have trouble, some don't. With 5 Singles running for 2 weeks I would have expected the issue to crop up at least once. This is part of the reason that makes this 'issue' (or non-issue) difficult to pin down. Bottom line is that if the program is working for someone, then they have no worries. For the others experiencing issues, a workaround would seem to be switching back to 2.3.6.

This may or may not be related, but I noticed that 2.4.1+ will NOT run 15 devices. It will crash immediately. With 2.3.6 I was able to run 15 devices fine. I merely point this out as an example of something, which used to work, being inadvertently 'broken' in 2.4.1+.
Activity: 626
Merit: 500
Mining since May 2011.

Lucky you.  2.4.1 and 2.4.2 has the same error handling with regards to  this issue.

FWIW:
legendary
And works??? For what? Permanently disabling a perfectly good BFL single, just because there was some hiccup somewhere for a brief moment?

I was being sarcastic.  Good luck arguing it with Kano or Con.

Might have luck with Luke, though.
Pages:
Jump to: