Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 32. (Read 186929 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
I'll have to snip the leads to the bottom fan
For simplicity in testing, I'd recommend just taping down the fan blade to keep it from spinning, or another low-tech method of restriction (a piece of chewed gum?).  If you get some thermal throttling, it's easy to make it spin again.

I would advise against that - a stuck motor can draw a multiple of the wattage that it normally draws, and thus overheat, even burn out.

Well, a piece of paper across the air intake should do the trick for testing, but I generally advise against trusting in any kind of thermal shutdown, especially if the unit is known to not have on-die temperature sensors and just measure the board/air/case temperature.
The singles do have on-die temp sensors, and they can be read with cgminer.

How can one read those? The usual "read temperature" command only returns one value that seems to be a board temperature, and that's the only command mentioned by the "specification".
I don't have a BFL myself, so I can't test this, but I'd be very interested in the commands for die temperature reading. Might be a useful addition to MPBM.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Actually I was curious about the cable length.  Smiley   
So you had less than 2% voltage drop on it but it couldn't handle what around 6.5 Amps.  Was it poor quality wire?

18AWG should be good for twice than length or more.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
Seemed like a strange coincidence to me. Especially since it's a related technical sector and it closed its doors around the time that BFL appeared.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Pretty sure the logo is a stock clipart logo, so it's in use in a number of places in one form or another I'd imagine.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
Is it just me or does this logo look pretty close to BFL's. This venture also stopped in Mar 2011... interesting.
http://asynclabs.com/
You might be interested in the 2 old BFL threads that are now locked. That similarity was discovered months ago, but doesn't seem to be relevant.
Is it just me or does this logo look pretty close to BFL's. This venture also stopped in Mar 2011... interesting.
http://asynclabs.com/
legendary
I'm not sure, I didn't notice the burnt connectors at first - but no more than a couple days.

rjk
1ngldh
6" or 8" or so? 
I think he meant "how much time did it take before something went poof".
legendary
6" or 8" or so? 
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Incidentally, I can also authoritatively say that 20ga wire will melt if you try to run a BFL on it.

How long was the run? <3'?
Incidentally, I can also authoritatively say that 20ga wire will melt if you try to run a BFL on it.

Possibly the best post in this thread.
legendary

rjk
1ngldh
Yeah, I will try on both 120v and 240v and see if there's a difference.  Though wouldn't the PSU mask that difference?  I guess I can measure at the all, too... although I will have to do some rewiring to measure 120v at the wall.
Ah I forgot that you were measuring DC. Yeah, it would only make a difference at the PSU on the AC side.
legendary
Yeah, I will try on both 120v and 240v and see if there's a difference.  Though wouldn't the PSU mask that difference?  I guess I can measure at the wall, too... although I will have to do some rewiring to measure 120v at the wall.

I was just going to measure the DC current between the PSU and BFL
rjk
1ngldh
I have my wires broken out, I can measure a Rev3 unit with a clamp meter tonight for actual board draw.

Can you try it on 240v too?
legendary
I have my wires broken out, I can measure a Rev3 unit with a clamp meter tonight for actual board draw.
rjk
1ngldh
The one with accurat result (i hope) is: GA - Typ: EMT707CTL
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4958462989369500&id=39a7bfdbc842d5d8a9106fb631010b4e
I read in internet, this one have bad measurment with low load (<20Watt), bud ok with mutch load.
Yeah, that's usually the case.
Activity: 871
I just see, that " kill a watt" is an brand. So i use not this!! I use one from "Brennstuhl".
I will buy an other one today with different brand for have an second measurment.

I just check the rig after 7h mining: still 930Watt. Single temperatur betwen 52°C and 63°C!

Better would be to buy an ammeter and measure the DC current at the board level. Apparently these kill-a-watt devices can get very confused with inductive loads (like a switching power supply).
You are absolutly right!!!
Looks like "this midle price" kill a watt devices have BIG- problem with iductive loads!!

I connect my new "cheap" devices and it shows:

1 host PC + GPU mining: 180W (old 180W)
1 host PC + GPU + 15 Singles idle: 418W (old 412W)
1 host PC + GPU + 15 Singles mining: 1370W (old 920W)
This give 1190W for 15 Singles = 79.33W/Single

Mystery solved!
Means: more expensive german-tools are not allways better!

Sorry for the revolt!!!

Can you post a picture of this device ? If my power meter is wrong then I am Cheesy

Which one are you using to get the bad results ? Thanks !

The one with bad results is: Brennenstuhl - Typ: PM230

The one with accurat result (i hope) is: GA - Typ: EMT707CTL

I read in internet, this one have bad measurment with low load (<20Watt), bud ok with mutch load.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I just see, that " kill a watt" is an brand. So i use not this!! I use one from "Brennstuhl".
I will buy an other one today with different brand for have an second measurment.

I just check the rig after 7h mining: still 930Watt. Single temperatur betwen 52°C and 63°C!

Better would be to buy an ammeter and measure the DC current at the board level. Apparently these kill-a-watt devices can get very confused with inductive loads (like a switching power supply).
Looks like "this midle price" kill a watt devices have BIG- problem with iductive loads!!

Mystery solved!

Sorry for the revolt!!!

Can you post a picture of this device ? If my power meter is wrong then I am Cheesy

I believe I have 3 of them like this :

Which one are you using to get the bad results ? Thanks !
Activity: 871

Mystery solved!

Sorry for the revolt!!!
Pages:
Jump to: