Pages:
Author

Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box - page 69. (Read 186929 times)

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I remember that too, I was in the second grade - The Beastie Boys - Find for your right to party / I felt like the coolest kid in the world at that moment Smiley

but im talking about that wow factor, cds did not even have the wow factor like when MP3 was introduced (Except when i got my first cd-rom drive - that was REALLY cool), not for guys like us that been around for awhile, im sure the guys who are here in there early 20s dont even care cause they grew up with them

Nice, I was reading that like, "The Beastie Boys - Find for your right to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!!!"
Heh CDs were the biggest wow factor for me. Don't know what you listened to before that but ...
Going from vinyl and tapes to one of the first CD players under $1000 (Yamaha $700) that also was one of the first that was sold at a profit (they were sold at a loss before that coz the production of the frame that supported the laser and tracking mechanism had to be metal until they were able to produce them reliably in plastic) back in ... 1984 I think it was Smiley And ... the CD was ... Madonna Cheesy Cheesy
(I also had just bought a whole average priced sound system to go with it ... about another $1000)
The very first track (Lucky Star) starts with a high pitched sequence ... and I was like OMG!!! what is all this crap sound I have been listening to up until now at home?!? (I have a pretty good ear for tone, on occasion I edit music on my computer for a few dance schools and I'm usually the one telling people they need to give me something better than 128k if they want to play it in an auditorium coz their music has all the top end chopped off and it's usually: yeah they can hear that missing when I point it out)
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
I remember that too, I was in the second grade - The Beastie Boys - Find for your right to party / I felt like the coolest kid in the world at that moment Smiley

but im talking about that wow factor, cds did not even have the wow factor like when MP3 was introduced (Except when i got my first cd-rom drive - that was REALLY cool), not for guys like us that been around for awhile, im sure the guys who are here in there early 20s dont even care cause they grew up with them

Nice, I was reading that like, "The Beastie Boys - Find for your right to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty!!!"
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
i remember using an 8-track tape on my 2xl.

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
(remember the first time you used an iPhone?)

Yeah, I do... I threw up a little in my mouth, but I was in public, so I had to swallow it.  It was gross.

how about this do you remember using an mp3 player for the first time? (for me it was the year 2000 and maybe im too much of a geek but I was in love)

Dude, I remember using a fucking tape for the first time. Rocking it old school.

Yeah, I do... I threw up a little in my mouth, but I was in public, so I had to swallow it.  It was gross.

how about this do you remember using an mp3 player for the first time? (for me it was the year 2000 and maybe im too much of a geek but I was in love)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
Is it tue they are thinking about raising the price. 

They mentioned it, it is normal they will want to set the price at a level of equilibrium.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Is it tue they are thinking about raising the price. 
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author

QFT
legendary
Activity: 1260

Quote from: platorin
Guys, how many of you received their equipment? Is this company reliable or is this another scam? I would like to order few basic platforms, but I do not know if they can be trusted.

Guess it depends on your definition of scam, they seem to be trying to run a legit company.
The question comes down to "How much risk are you willing to take?"

My concern is that they are selling a one-trick pony.  From what I've read they use an encrypted bitstream and, if I understand that correctly, that means only BFL can provide another bitstream that would work. Also there's the issue of the unknown hardware that they use. It seems that they bought the chips (stratix?) at some reduced price which suggests that they have some number of chips but can get no more. So 6 months from now when yours has an issue you're out of luck if it's the FPGA.  That's too much risk for me, 6 month warranty doesn't inspire my confidence.

I was originally one of their strictest critics and now (after receiving my first BitForce Single) I believe know that they are completely legit.

Hi Cablepair. I'm glad to hear that they're legit and that you've received your single, but I'm curious how long did it take from the moment you pre-ordered to the moment it arrived at your door. I'd like to buy one for shitz and giggles (although I prefer Icarus and X6500 due to their greater power efficiency) but I have doubts that it will be worthwhile to wait 6 weeks to get one.

hi allinvain Smiley

Let me clarify, the one BitFORCE single that I have - I did not purchase from BFL, I also did not could not wait six weeks to get one (I just had to have it!) so I was able to make a deal with one of the lucky individuals that got one on the very first shipment and when it got here a couple days later (thank you priority mail) I was very very impressed with it, its a remarkable piece of equipment - it is engineered extremely well and I love the fact that it just works! It runs full blast mining away 24/7 with no software changes or overclocking, if it starts to get too warm it throttles it self down and corrects itself. Its very impressive and I love it. I added it to a machine that has two 6990s in it just for comparison and its very impressive.

So I start opening up a conversation with Sonny from BFL - he seems to be the guy who wears the P.R./C.S. hat, and I start emailing back and forth , probing for information - feeling them out, and now I feel a lot better about this. I was able to place an order for two more of the BitFORCE singles and pay via dwolla, they sent me an invoice and I paid the invoice it all feels very legit to me now. I could be wrong but I have a good feeling about BFL that I did not have before, mostly the product itself won me over. Theres a little bit of genius - magic there that always wins me over when I experience it and why I work in the technology field (remember the first time you used an iPhone?)

As BFL is not really a part of this community coming into this I don't think they realized how exciting and demanding we would be about their product and how critical we would be of them. Although their customer service was incredibly poor and they made some mistakes that set off a lot of red flags for a lot of people (myself included) I think we were over critical of them and I think they are getting it together. I also think a lot of their delayed shipping times have to do with the amount of liquid cash they have and the amount of chips they can have made at one time. It seems to me that once we get to the 3rd and 4th shipments it will be a lot quicker because of these reasons.
Activity: 489
Merit: 500
Immersionist
why is it so hard to know what chips they use? can't you read the print on the chip without destroying the bitforce?

anyone can gibe me a hint on delivery costs to europe/germany?

Because the sanded off the print on the chip.

$687.00 with international shipping. Add 19% VAT to that and you have your price.
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
why is it so hard to know what chips they use? can't you read the print on the chip without destroying the bitforce?

anyone can gibe me a hint on delivery costs to europe/germany?
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
Guys, how many of you received their equipment? Is this company reliable or is this another scam? I would like to order few basic platforms, but I do not know if they can be trusted.

Guess it depends on your definition of scam, they seem to be trying to run a legit company.

My concern is that they are selling a one-trick pony.  From what I've read they use an encrypted bitstream and, if I understand that correctly, that means only BFL can provide another bitstream that would work. Also there's the issue of the unknown hardware that they use. It seems that they bought the chips (stratix?) at some reduced price which suggests that they have some number of chips but can get no more. So 6 months from now when yours has an issue you're out of luck if it's the FPGA.  That's too much risk for me, 6 month warranty doesn't inspire my confidence.

I was originally one of their strictest critics and now (after receiving my first BitForce Single) I believe know that they are completely legit.

Hi Cablepair. I'm glad to hear that they're legit and that you've received your single, but I'm curious how long did it take from the moment you pre-ordered to the moment it arrived at your door. I'd like to buy one for shitz and giggles (although I prefer Icarus and X6500 due to their greater power efficiency) but I have doubts that it will be worthwhile to wait 6 weeks to get one.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500
After all this long long way I guess i can finally place my order for one single unit.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 448
I think we are now beyond the question of whether this is a scam or not.
Just from counting the guys who have posted about it on this forum, more than 10 systems have been delivered so far.

Thank you for your answer Inspector 2211.

Is it known how many people did preorder?

No, not in total, but why don't you take a look at this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-single-order-dateship-date-67887 and, if you have the time,
tally the totals for "ordered", "received", and "not yet received", and post them here.
Activity: 392
I think we are now beyond the question of whether this is a scam or not.
Just from counting the guys who have posted about it on this forum, more than 10 systems have been delivered so far.

Thank you for your answer Inspector 2211.

Is it known how many people did preorder?
Activity: 308
I would stay away for now.  The nondelivery is not the only issue to worry about.  I would also worry about the quality.  If they are scrambling to get these done to send out there also might be issues with the singles working correctly.  If they are this bad sending out new ones, could you imagine the nightmare on a warranty exchange.  Thats my 2 cents.
Pages:
Jump to: