Author

Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM - page 172. (Read 415652 times)

Activity: 314
Merit: 251
October 04, 2012, 12:28:06 PM
I hope BFL is not a scam, 4th post
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
October 04, 2012, 12:11:41 PM
Not one of you know anything about this so why are you all commenting saying BFL is a scam or not? Can anyone prove anything here? No. Time will tell. I dont think they are going to run off with peoples money. But I do think that most people are going to get theirs in the summer of 2013. IF you think otehrwise you;re silly. Look at their marketing and their promises of delivery. They keep getting pushed back. Then when people start wondering what does BFL do? Thast right the increase hash rates by 50% for the same price. When things are too good to be true they usualy are. Hope you guys get what you;re looking for.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 04, 2012, 11:44:51 AM
It's not even a jump forward in technology. It's making use of existing technology in a field where it wasn't used before.

If these "ASIC IS A SCAM!" people have a vested interest in trolling people out of buying ASIC hardware, then more power to them. I don't have the stomach for pretending to be an idiot to make a few extra dollars. However, I really think most of these people are being honest. They ACTUALLY don't believe ASICs exist for ANYTHING, let alone that they could be made for bitcoin.

I have a degree in computer engineering, but what do I know? I guess that class I had in college about VLSI design was just a bunch of lies. Only Intel and AMD have ever produced an integrated circuit.

Sure, any of these companies could be a scam, but designing an ASIC is honestly a trivial matter for a properly funded company employing a handful of properly trained, mildly competent engineers. Calling a company a scam because of shady business practices is one thing, but calling the company a scam SOLELY because they claim to be producing an ASIC, as if it's some sort of mythological creature nobody has ever seen, is outright ludicrous.

Another thing driving me crazy currently:

"I know what an ASIC is!" then five minutes later "so will I be able to use it for other purposes besides bitcoin?"

+3

Also I think that just about winds up the thread.
Activity: 99
October 04, 2012, 11:29:25 AM
Calling a company a scam because of shady business practices is one thing, but calling the company a scam SOLELY because they claim to be producing an ASIC, as if it's some sort of mythological creature nobody has ever seen, is outright ludicrous.

+1

"I know what an ASIC is!" then five minutes later "so will I be able to use it for other purposes besides bitcoin?"

+2

I like the cut of your jib sir.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
October 04, 2012, 11:08:52 AM
It's not even a jump forward in technology. It's making use of existing technology in a field where it wasn't used before.

If these "ASIC IS A SCAM!" people have a vested interest in trolling people out of buying ASIC hardware, then more power to them. I don't have the stomach for pretending to be an idiot to make a few extra dollars. However, I really think most of these people are being honest. They ACTUALLY don't believe ASICs exist for ANYTHING, let alone that they could be made for bitcoin.

I have a degree in computer engineering, but what do I know? I guess that class I had in college about VLSI design was just a bunch of lies. Only Intel and AMD have ever produced an integrated circuit.

Sure, any of these companies could be a scam, but designing an ASIC is honestly a trivial matter for a properly funded company employing a handful of properly trained, mildly competent engineers. Calling a company a scam because of shady business practices is one thing, but calling the company a scam SOLELY because they claim to be producing an ASIC, as if it's some sort of mythological creature nobody has ever seen, is outright ludicrous.

Another thing driving me crazy currently:

October 04, 2012, 10:46:37 AM
Making huge steps in short periods of time is against all known good business practices

Steam Locomotive -> Diesel/Electric Locomotive

Propeller -> Jet

Wired Telephone -> Mobile/Cell Phone

Dial up -> Broadband

Yup massive and sudden jumps forwards in technology is totally unheard of and bad business practice.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 03, 2012, 03:41:27 PM
Sonny the CEO? Since when? Read up a little and stop repeating each others' bullshit.

Sonny is NOT the CEO, though he is a higher level executive in the company.
Activity: 568
October 03, 2012, 02:56:11 PM
Sonny the CEO? Since when? Read up a little and stop repeating each others' bullshit.
Activity: 70
October 03, 2012, 02:06:51 PM
I emailed them and asked about dimensions and wattage etc etc. They didnt even bother responding to me. I find that pretty unprofessional. I was planning on buying a few singles but i have this feeling that they are going to deliver extremely late and this will be nothing but hassles involved. No proof of this and I hope thast not the case for people but thats my gut instinct on this one. Youll notice as the month ends they change those few words again to nearing the end of completion and sceduled to ship in December. How can you take preorders when they know nothing baout their own product? And i do love how they just increased the hash rate incredibly like its nothing.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
October 03, 2012, 12:40:23 PM
Someone wanna buy a Jalapeno as gift for me? :3

If i could afford, i would buy immediately one or more.

How much MHas/s/W do they have?
Activity: 111
October 03, 2012, 12:12:17 PM
I like their logo...  I hope my Jalapeno comes with a sticker or something!
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1002
October 03, 2012, 12:06:09 PM
i see their ads all over google and fb.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Not for hire.
October 03, 2012, 12:05:28 PM
"I'm a muppet of a man."

-The Muppets
October 03, 2012, 11:59:15 AM
Because BTC is much more easier to run away with than with cash. I wonder how many people actually paid by wire. Zero?

Don't be a muppet, lot's of people paid by Credit Card, myself included... because it credit cards have...

*drum roll please*

FRAUD PROTECTION

Wink
Activity: 12
October 03, 2012, 11:07:29 AM
They still seem to be advertising! Must be another version of the scam.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
October 03, 2012, 01:59:25 AM
Forgot block reward halving, will happen before the difficulty increases 40x?

I suppose that depends on how fast BFL ships orders - but really the btc adjusting to lower supply should drive prices up enough to not make it matter... and it probably won't hit 40x for awhile... so I feel pretty ok with just ignoring it for now.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
October 02, 2012, 09:08:46 PM
We know that inaba's currently mining with 500Gh/s of what are probably people's mini-rig and single orders for "burn in" testing.

Please don't spread misinformation and outright lies, thanks!
Activity: 20
October 02, 2012, 08:44:03 PM
Look at precedence first. OP could be correct, but the claim is heresay.
Activity: 602
Your *what* is itchy?
October 02, 2012, 08:27:53 PM
It may not be a documentable scam, but that doesn't mean that doesn't mean it's entirely legitimate, either. With these kind of prices and elusive behavior, there's got to be a big gotcha in there somewhere. I only mine to make a few coins on the side. If I'm convinced of BFL's legitimacy after the ASIC launch, I may pick one up. However, for now I will hold steady, watch and wait. Gold rushes may make some rich, but just as many will be ruined. I prefer my investments long term and low risk. I may not become a millionaire, but I won't end up a pauper. There are plenty of other ways to make money with bitcoin than mining. Wherever there's an opportunity for arbitration, I'll find a way to monetize it.

that was kinda my rationale behind pre-ordering a couple of jalapenos. if they ship, and they work great, and i make a coin or two, or even just a decent ROI vs the 2BTC/mo i make with a single 6770 mining on slushpool, then I'm happy. If it turns out to be a bust, and I am unable to get my money back from them, then i'm only out $300 bucks, and my only punishment is listening to my fiancee bitch at me for a little while. I don't expect to get rich, and it sure won't bust me to lose $300, but I'm gonna stay optimistic, rather than join in the gloom'n'doom spewing...
Jump to: