Author

Topic: Butterflylabs Huge SCAM - page 174. (Read 415652 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
firstbits.com/1kznfw
October 01, 2012, 01:53:23 PM
ASIC are not power hungry like GPU's which is part of the appeal!
Then people will buy MORE asics than they did with gpu. So the 1th/s will mine even less  Cheesy

That's not really true. The key metric here is continuous watts/capital outlay, because ROI will drive how many ASICs are purchased. In this regard, ASICs beat GPUs by an order of magnitude, and FPGAs by about a factor of 2.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
October 01, 2012, 07:42:21 AM
I understand skepticism, and being cautious. I don't understand the certainty that it's a scam that most of these people seem to have
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
October 01, 2012, 07:18:51 AM
If everyone else is mining at 1TH/s we're back to no profit for the average miner. You only make a profit if you are "lucky" enough to get an EARLY ASIC or you have access to free power.

Not true - I actually did the math on this (based on 10000 pre-orders) if every single one of those is a 1th/s sc rig, the network difficulty will increase by a factor of 40.

in that cast - you're sc rig would make you just over 8 btc per day. at currect rates thats over $100. That's $3000. That's 10% a month. 120% per year. 10 month ROI.

A stellar investment if you can afford it.

~

as for me, I've already invested in bfl singles, and have sc upgrades ordered for 1 of them (It's in the 2500 range) so I'm hoping to catch a bit of that wave, but if I don't no big deal. I'm also planning on getting a couple of pre-orders in for bASICs - since (while the prev hardware was lackluster) I love the level of customer service given...

You should all do what any smart investor would do - act to mitigate your risk own risk.

There's risk in pre-ordering a product that doesn't currently exist --- there's risk in not - because you'll have dead time where you aren't earning. Spread it around get orders in with competitors.

I don't think your math is right. Currently there are roughly 7200 bitcoins generated per day, if 10000 equal powered asics were to compete (disregarding everything else), that is less than 1 bitcoin per day per unit.

And given the reward drop, it's going to be less than half a bitcoin per day before these ship. So you're looking at 10+ years at current rates to break even.
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 01, 2012, 06:14:31 AM
Sonny isn't the CEO, he is an upper level executive, however. The BFL ASIC technology was set to be the speed it was via a software lock on the clock speeds. They have in the past said that they could increase it if they had competition, otherwise they would likely make an 'unlocked' version. The Jalepeno is simply a locked down version of the SC Single.

The release of the Avalon's raw numbers made them increase their hashrate, they have most likely unlocked the chips to their full potential. Several other ASIC developers have also mentioned the ability to increase their chip's potential.

Regarding their authenticity and marketing methods. I personally think they are a little shaky, but there is a lot going on for a small company. From the pictures I've seen "leaked" from their site, I do not anticipate BFL shipping until very late 2012, especially after this new firmware change.

I feel this is getting redundant; there is a search feature. I recommend you change your title unless you have hard proof (a simple '?' amendment would work for me), otherwise you are just spreading FUD and we have enough of that.

EDIT: After looking at what board this was in, I realized I'm in newbies. Sorry for being a little more ranty that I should have been. There are many other threads like this, just not necessarily in newbie.
Firmware's the least of their troubles - I'd be surprised at this point if they actually have a working device yet...

(full disclosure, I have a couple of jalepenos and a bASIC pre-ordered)

My point is that the "firmware update" is likely how they plan on achieving double the hashrate. In terms of progress, final renders of the Jalepeno enclosure were floating around a couple weeks ago. Likely that they are just going for a production run of those now in China. There's time left, for sure.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
October 01, 2012, 12:10:16 AM
BFL probably isn't a scam. And it's going to be tough for a lot of people with the perfect storm of the reward drop to 25 and the introduction of ASICs.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
September 30, 2012, 10:56:49 PM
Sonny isn't the CEO, he is an upper level executive, however. The BFL ASIC technology was set to be the speed it was via a software lock on the clock speeds. They have in the past said that they could increase it if they had competition, otherwise they would likely make an 'unlocked' version. The Jalepeno is simply a locked down version of the SC Single.

The release of the Avalon's raw numbers made them increase their hashrate, they have most likely unlocked the chips to their full potential. Several other ASIC developers have also mentioned the ability to increase their chip's potential.

Regarding their authenticity and marketing methods. I personally think they are a little shaky, but there is a lot going on for a small company. From the pictures I've seen "leaked" from their site, I do not anticipate BFL shipping until very late 2012, especially after this new firmware change.

I feel this is getting redundant; there is a search feature. I recommend you change your title unless you have hard proof (a simple '?' amendment would work for me), otherwise you are just spreading FUD and we have enough of that.

EDIT: After looking at what board this was in, I realized I'm in newbies. Sorry for being a little more ranty that I should have been. There are many other threads like this, just not necessarily in newbie.
Firmware's the least of their troubles - I'd be surprised at this point if they actually have a working device yet...

(full disclosure, I have a couple of jalepenos and a bASIC pre-ordered)
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
September 30, 2012, 07:53:32 PM

Activity: 210
Not for hire.
September 30, 2012, 07:40:25 PM
Excuse me for not clicking the link. 

What kind of bets I might take that and let you know how it works out.  I have coins to spare, is hobby, not anything I care about lol.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
September 30, 2012, 07:19:15 PM
Since over 10 days I wait, that BFL ([email protected]) confirms my BTC payment.
I already sent them 3 emails but until now no reply... Angry

I hope they "are just busy"....  Undecided

Edit (10/02/2012): Finally answered and confirmed it  Cheesy
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
September 30, 2012, 06:08:57 PM
we'll know when the network hashrate hits the roof. Cry
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
September 30, 2012, 05:56:34 PM
volavak : you should start a bet at http://betsofbitco.in/ , you could make some coin if you are right.

I strongly encourage volavak to put his money where his mouth is by betting against http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=665
There are 50 coins for you to win...

Seeing as how he just registered 3 days ago and likely has an ulterior motive, I wouldn't be holding my breath on that.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
September 30, 2012, 05:49:38 PM
volavak : you should start a bet at http://betsofbitco.in/ , you could make some coin if you are right.

I strongly encourage volavak to put his money where his mouth is by betting against http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=665
There are 50 coins for you to win...
Activity: 66
September 30, 2012, 05:46:27 PM
You do realize that other companies are offering ASICs right?
https://www.btcfpga.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61
Activity: 210
Not for hire.
September 30, 2012, 04:28:22 PM
What does anybody think that the odds are that new production of bitcoins will become harder in the next few months?

I say its probably fairly high that it will become increasingly difficult and possibly "imposibru" for the small miner in the next year.  But I also say there are so many alternate crypto-currencies (even as of just right now) and so much apparent momentum by all the bitcoin semi-profit, semi-hobbyists out there that it won't be a big deal.

We will just mine the next new thing lol. Chill out!

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
September 30, 2012, 02:20:22 PM
I have this feeling that all the idiots who scream that BFL is a scam will just disappear and make new accounts later this year. And there will be a few nuts that believe that hundreds of forum users are being paid by BFL to act like they got working ASIC's.
I will stay.
legendary
Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000
Live and enjoy experiments
September 30, 2012, 02:18:20 PM

We've seen the worst effect of bankerster's greed brought to the world -- trust in financial institutions was lost. 

We are seeing the worst effect Pirate brought upon BTC community ... trust in bitcoin businesses is being destroyed.
donator
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
September 30, 2012, 02:07:19 PM
in that cast - you're sc rig would make you just over 8 btc per day. at currect rates thats over $100. That's $3000. That's 10% a month. 120% per year. 10 month ROI.
double that ROI figure. You're not gonna get your ASIC before the reward drop. And doing a ROI on mining equipment for >4 months is quite risky. You don't know how competitive mining becomes in 6 months.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
I'd fight Gandhi.
September 30, 2012, 02:03:29 PM
I have this feeling that all the idiots who scream that BFL is a scam will just disappear and make new accounts later this year. And there will be a few nuts that believe that hundreds of forum users are being paid by BFL to act like they got working ASIC's.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 30, 2012, 01:54:24 PM
If everyone else is mining at 1TH/s we're back to no profit for the average miner. You only make a profit if you are "lucky" enough to get an EARLY ASIC or you have access to free power.

Not true - I actually did the math on this (based on 10000 pre-orders) if every single one of those is a 1th/s sc rig, the network difficulty will increase by a factor of 40.

A stellar investment if you can afford it.

~

as for me, I've already invested in bfl singles, and have sc upgrades ordered for 1 of them (It's in the 2500 range) so I'm hoping to catch a bit of that wave, but if I don't no big deal. I'm also planning on getting a couple of pre-orders in for bASICs - since (while the prev hardware was lackluster) I love the level of customer service given...

You should all do what any smart investor would do - act to mitigate your risk own risk.

There's risk in pre-ordering a product that doesn't currently exist --- there's risk in not - because you'll have dead time where you aren't earning. Spread it around get orders in with competitors.

Activity: 70
September 30, 2012, 12:42:34 PM
More than just selling them.

ITT noobs think that BFL wants bitcoin more than a reputation as an ASIC manufacturer.
Jump to: