Pages:
Author

Topic: Can I trust BTC exchanges? - page 10. (Read 21741 times)

Activity: 1456
Merit: 251
September 04, 2015, 11:55:02 AM
Howdy,
I've been using one for a couple months now and it's given no reason to mistrust it. But it seems weird to me sending my money to an intermediary that's neither a wallet nor a bank and is entirely online. Feels like the money is hanging out in some nowhere zone that isn't completely under my control...

Dies any one else feel this way or do I just not understand this stuff well enough yet?

Thanks!

You feel like the money is hanging out in some nowhere zone because it is  Cheesy Never leave you bitcoin on exchanges for longer than you need to it is not safe to not control your own bitcoin there is a saying if you don't control the private key you don't own bitcoin and that is true. Any minute they could up and leave and what could you do?

there is a saying if you don't control the private key you don't own bitcoin

same aplies to gold, always always remember the goldrule, it applies to all:

if it's not in your hands, it's not yours.

etch it on your brain Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
September 04, 2015, 11:50:19 AM
Exchange is only good for one thing in my opinion. Got there buy your coins and leave! No bigger chunk of fiat money or cryptos should be placed there for a longer time!

No one are discussing this. The concern of the author of the thread is the trust to exchanges and not to leave the money there. He doubt the process of exchange and not to speak to leave the money there....

I have few bitcoins in the bter exchange and there are for more than 6 months
This exchange has been hacked in February this year and my bitcoin disappear from there.
So every 2-3month they try to cover and pay us a very little percentage until they pay the total amount of lost bitcoins.
So there is no trust in exchanges, even though bter had 7,170 btc in their "cold" wallet
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1006
September 04, 2015, 11:48:19 AM
One day, no matter what, regardless of trust, the exchange will close or the site will go down

Even if that exchange is seems legit but can't guarantee that exchange can be last forever. For example: mintpal incident , ShareX , etc taught me bad experience for not to keep thr fund on exhanger. When the site is shutting down, you've already too late
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
September 04, 2015, 09:11:20 AM
Exchange is only good for one thing in my opinion. Got there buy your coins and leave! No bigger chunk of fiat money or cryptos should be placed there for a longer time!

No one are discussing this. The concern of the author of the thread is the trust to exchanges and not to leave the money there. He doubt the process of exchange and not to speak to leave the money there....
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016
September 04, 2015, 08:24:50 AM
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 04, 2015, 05:29:07 AM
If you understand the term "exchange" then you should understand the purpose of it, trade/exchange what you have and leave.
legendary
Activity: 1134
September 04, 2015, 02:55:13 AM
That depends from the exchanges. There are exchanges that had testify their seriousness and deserve faith. There are to many years of their activity and to many people that interact with those. With them you can act without problems. If then you go to others with dubious reputation you go there at yours own risk.
Activity: 462
September 04, 2015, 12:22:10 AM
you can trust some Big Exchanger
but don't save big amount at exchanger for long time
how about MT Gox,,
can you trust them? mt gox is big exchanger, but for now? he scammed everyone
many member will not guarantee an exchanger not be scam

and how about bitcoin price without big exchanger ?
I do not say "big exchanger" always making scam, but at least do not make exchnager great degree of trust.
Activity: 714
September 03, 2015, 03:43:44 PM
For me I can trust any famous exchange site which has instant payout and with good feedbacks

me too im trust some bigger exchanger like bittrex, poloniex, also yobit

Poloniex and bittrex yes, but I don't think yobit is a big exchange!!! You can see the volume of the popular coins.
Btc/usd volume 0.1, - this is not big, there are some other coins that have the volume of max 9.7BTC (Vec coin)
Nothing against them i use them too but in low volume and the deposit/withdrawal is faster than poloniex.

You're correct, YoBit is a very small exchange right now, but good for new coins being released...good to see some coins flourish there (and other scamcoins perish)  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1020
September 03, 2015, 11:49:22 AM
you can trust Cryptsy. I mine scrypt on Multipool as well and exchange them on Cryptsy.

Love Cryptsy or hate Cryptsy, they have been around for a long time.
legendary
September 03, 2015, 11:29:56 AM
For me I can trust any famous exchange site which has instant payout and with good feedbacks

Poloniex and bittrex yes, but I don't think yobit is a big exchange!!! You can see the volume of the popular coins.
Btc/usd volume 0.1, - this is not big, there are some other coins that have the volume of max 9.7BTC (Vec coin)
Nothing against them i use them too but in low volume and the deposit/withdrawal is faster than poloniex.
Activity: 714
September 03, 2015, 11:25:47 AM
One day, no matter what, regardless of trust, the exchange will close or the site will go down

Always understand this if you keep your $/BTC/alts on such a site  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1120
September 03, 2015, 11:19:15 AM

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Young but I'm not that bold
September 03, 2015, 11:13:39 AM
legendary
September 03, 2015, 11:12:56 AM
how about MT Gox,,

and how about bitcoin price without big exchanger ?
Activity: 462
September 03, 2015, 11:11:19 AM
how about MT Gox,,
legendary
September 03, 2015, 11:06:22 AM
yes you can trust when there is no other options in your hand but I won't until I get the full controls on my coins that means having a private key

Can you suggest an exchange that they give you the private key?
Until now i haven't seen at least one exchange?
Some that i had experience are Cryptsy, bter, YoBit, poloniex and they dont give you access to private key

you can definitely use one that do not hold your coins, like coinimal, there is an auto conversion buil in like circle, so basically your money are directly send to the recipient without sitting there
this can avoid being scammed but them or hacker, very convenient

How I haven't heard before for this exchange? it seems interesting
Also ATM in Australia, so many good features will join now and experimenting with it.
If you have any referral link send me in PM( i think is allowed ) so i can help you as a gift Smiley
legendary
September 03, 2015, 10:46:39 AM
Activity: 639
September 03, 2015, 10:11:24 AM
yes you can trust when there is no other options in your hand but I won't until I get the full controls on my coins that means having a private key

Can you suggest an exchange that they give you the private key?
Until now i haven't seen at least one exchange?
Some that i had experience are Cryptsy, bter, YoBit, poloniex and they dont give you access to private key

you can definitely use one that do not hold your coins, like coinimal, there is an auto conversion buil in like circle, so basically your money are directly send to the recipient without sitting there
this can avoid being scammed but them or hacker, very convenient
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 03, 2015, 09:04:44 AM
Only use them for the minimum time required, then transfer the Bitcoins back to your wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: