Pages:
Author

Topic: Can myetherwallet get hacked? - page 6. (Read 4237 times)

Activity: 1946
Merit: 112
May 16, 2018, 10:38:58 AM
If you do everything that the author of the topic listed, the only thing that can happen is the hacking of the MEW database itself, but I do not think it's possible at all. Why? Well, if only because if it could be done, it would have been done long ago and more than once and believe me no one would have used MEW anymore. So I think that your funds are safe until you do something wrong.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
May 16, 2018, 09:36:13 AM
If you no longer access your MEW from any device, then in theory no one will be able to steal your private key and crack the wallet. I think your money will be safe. If you are in doubt, then buy yourself a hardware purse-Ledger or trezor. Then you can not worry at all, your money will be exactly safe.
Activity: 532
May 16, 2018, 09:28:41 AM
I think myetherwallet can be hacked. Some of my friends here lost their funds in their wallet. I don't know how it happen. So i always takecare so that they cannot hack my wallet.
Activity: 65
Merit: 0
May 16, 2018, 09:25:44 AM
MEW is basically an interface. It's not a service with servers where hackers and get into and steal funds. The only thing it does is showing you the state of the current addresses in the blockchain, whether a specific address has coins or not. It can't be hacked.
Activity: 756
Merit: 1
May 16, 2018, 07:16:05 AM
Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?

I don't think anything will happen to your assets. But of course it is better to keep funds on hardware wallets, it is now the most reliable way! For example on ledger or trezor.
Activity: 22
May 16, 2018, 06:47:04 AM
Few weeks ago there is a notice that MyEtherWallet was hacked so everyone was advised not to log in. I think eversince we've used computers in our daily lives, we are vulnerable to hacking so does those crypto wallets even if there's a lot of softwares promising us protection and such. Let's just keep our faith that our investments will be safe until the end of our lives
Activity: 58
May 15, 2018, 10:35:21 AM
As long as you don't enter on phising site , your funds will be ok but make sure you instal all the plugins that myetherwallet provides on the front page and I sugest to install all 3 of them just to be sure that you have extra protection and in future try to by a hardware wallet because it's much more safer.
Activity: 392
Multiversum
May 15, 2018, 04:40:51 AM
MyEtherWallet does not keep your details but the website can definetely be hacked and redirected so when you put details they can steal them, always check certificate if it's safe and before login search info on Twitter, hacks have a good resonance there. Login using Metamask, is one of safest and reccomended method.

MEW or your ETH account cannot be hacked... it's your BROWSER that can be hacked. Big difference.

Any successful browser attack can steal enough information to steal your funds...
So any method that bypasses or enhances your browser is probably very secure.

Latest hack was not browser related but DNS related. Browser is client side while MEW is server side. It wasn't the clients those hacked but the domain that had been redirected to another russian website. Clients were safe but they supposed to be in correct MEW website while they were puttind details to some russian IPs.
legendary
Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000
May 15, 2018, 04:27:49 AM
MyEtherWallet does not keep your details but the website can definetely be hacked and redirected so when you put details they can steal them, always check certificate if it's safe and before login search info on Twitter, hacks have a good resonance there. Login using Metamask, is one of safest and reccomended method.

MEW or your ETH account cannot be hacked... it's your BROWSER that can be hacked. Big difference.

Any successful browser attack can steal enough information to steal your funds...
So any method that bypasses or enhances your browser is probably very secure.
Activity: 196
May 15, 2018, 04:17:27 AM
Yes it is possible that your myethewallet and everyone's myetherwallet will get hacked by means of phishing. My friends myetherwallet has been hacked and his all tokens are stolen. Because he clicks a link in the slack channel not knowing that the link he clicks is not the original url of the myetherwallet , and in the blink of the eye all his coins in his wallet vanish. Even if you backup your private key there is still a possibilty that it can be hacked anytime.
Activity: 392
Multiversum
May 15, 2018, 04:15:43 AM
Activity: 1123
Merit: 253
May 15, 2018, 04:11:04 AM
Whatever others say, the truth is that there were several myetherwallets that have been hacked. MEW is indeed not the storage itself of your coins but still it can be used to get access to your hidden treasure. It does not mean that because it is only a UI it cannot get hacked. So make all the necessary steps to maintain the security and safety of your MEW account. MEW account hacking happened not once or twice but several times.
Activity: 812
Merit: 11
May 15, 2018, 04:02:31 AM
Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?

I think as long we keep our private key safely and not share it with others, i think our token in myetherwallet safe. Hackers can stole our token if we share our private key or we clik on phising site like recently happen and if we dont, we should not worry with our token or coin
Activity: 784
Merit: 250
May 15, 2018, 03:55:23 AM
I think Fund who are myetherwallet very secure. The first computer I also experienced a death in a long time. And after my computer was finished, I check my funds and still very safe is in a wallet. Most importantly you can keep your private key secure. Do not let other people fell.
Activity: 364
Merit: 21
May 15, 2018, 03:48:01 AM
Not your myetherwallet, but you are can be hacked. Usually hacking wallets is excluded, but hijacking a private key is easy! Especially if you store it in the txt file "crypto wallets" on your desktop  Grin
Activity: 714
Merit: 104
May 15, 2018, 03:42:46 AM
myetherwallet is utility to acces etherium blockchain.
It cant be hacked there is nothing to hack, it only can be fished for stole keys
Activity: 336
May 15, 2018, 03:41:46 AM
If I'm undetstanding right MEW is not storing ur funds. Ur ETH tokens stored directly on ETH blockchain, while MEW is just a UI to access them. So, I think it`s almost impossible to hack blockchain, the most easy way to get ur funds is to make malware which will steal ur password .
Activity: 109
May 15, 2018, 03:39:18 AM
Can myetherwallet get hacked? Anything in this world can be done if we want, let alone the problem of retas, hackers everywhere whenever they want to hack must be done and it rarely fails most hackers do his action 90% succeeded as good as any that his security system.
Activity: 448
May 15, 2018, 03:37:39 AM
its possible but it is highly HIGHLY unlikely.

That's not true.
There were a lot of cases when MEW got hacked.
Usually it happens when you yse privat key for access, always pay attantion on HTTS when accessing wallet.
Activity: 173
May 15, 2018, 03:33:35 AM
I think myetherwallet could have been hacked from someone. And there have been many cases of loss of coins in myetherwallet.
Pages:
Jump to: