Pages:
Author

Topic: Can police take you to the psychiatric hospital with no probable cause? - page 3. (Read 1584 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
If you don't know whether she's telling the truth or not you should check with the local police station and see if there are any records of what she says, then if there are contact any sort of local lawyer and just try to talk to them about it, they shouldn't have a problem if you're just asking what the hell to do.
As much as I love my friends, I'm not getting into it like that because it isn't my business. I will let her know to just call a local lawyer, but I think she said she already tried that...

Plus if I was to go to the police station that handled that, they'd probably tamper with evidence. It'd be impossible to sue them. The only thing that'd save her is if she's got written documents from the hospital she went to at least to prove she was indeed sent to the hospital in handcuffs for sitting in her bedroom behind a locked door.

I think she has been to psychiatric hospitals in and out. I do remember back when we went to HS together, she went for about a week for suicidal thoughts and depression.

Does that count as probable cause maybe? If it does, that was so long ago.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
If you don't know whether she's telling the truth or not you should check with the local police station first and see if there are any records of what she says, then if there are contact any sort of local lawyer and just try to talk to them about it, they shouldn't have a problem if you're just asking what the hell to do.

By the way, actual records at the station will also be a way of getting the lawyer to take you seriously, I don't mean to dismiss your girlfriends story but if you don't even know what's going on it's down to you to find out for certain what's happening rather than overreact. I find that story a bit odd, you don't know whether or not she was doing something illegal and so on and was just using you to try and get out of it, or perhaps, did she end up getting into a verbal fight with her biological parents and they called the police on her and so on?

fyi, I'm not a lawyer but I think everyone would need more context including the lawyers in how this actually happened if anyone is to help out.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I do believe I had mentioned this situation in off topic. I don't believe I got a chance to really discuss it though. Here's the thread if anyone's interested.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-there-a-lawyer-on-bitcointalk-i-can-speak-to-1401031

I am also looking for legal advice here if it can be given. Maybe a financial adviser would be best for my situation. For my friend's girlfriend's situation though, she might need a lawyer.

So if I do recall correctly, she mentioned she was in her bedroom with headphones on behind her locked door when all of a sudden, police barged into her bedroom. Mind you, she's under 25 and still lives at home with both biological parents I believe. Her father gave the police the keys to her bedroom door. They barged in, started questioning her, but she said she had the right to remain silent. Next thing she knew, she was verbally harassed, physically harassed, pinned on her bed, handcuffed, then sent to the psychiatric hospital. The doctors let her go that same evening in about 4 short hours. I do believe if the police rightfully took her in, they would have kept her much longer.

I don't know what to think here. This is quite unusual to me. I don't know if she's telling the truth that she was in her bedroom, not making a sound and just listening to music. If that is the case, what should she do?
Pages:
Jump to: