Pages:
Author

Topic: Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment? - page 25. (Read 2652 times)

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564
Can you stop calling Bitcoin an investment?

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

You're not even investing, you are just gambling with money.
Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

Why don't we see cryptographers anymore? Guess the reasons

Oh how i feel your sentiments LeGaulois!

It is indeed heartbreaking to see the cause lost.  A lot has been misdirected and misled to believe that bitcoin was primarily created for investment.

The historical truth as you narrated them is an absolute fact which i would really love to know too how has been satoshi reacting to now that people have found another way to utilize bitcoin.

There's a lot of anger that i sense on your post (if not frustrations). But come to think of it, though the majority of people use and deem bitcoin as an investment, there are still people out there (including myself) who freely use bitcoin to make payments and make online purchases too. With no conversion to fiat money at all, i pay bills online using my bitcoin wallet and even send funds using the same.

Though the bitcoin road has been tainted and vandalized from what it was originally designed for, the cause is not totally lost. There are still average crypto enthusiast out there who understood that bitcoin was meant to be spent and not invested on.

May the force be with us!
Activity: 1120
Merit: 13
I did not think about this ever, now by reading your threads my mind just changed! Is bitcoin really an investment system? No, it is not, rather investment system is killing bitcoin that's why governments want to bitcoin in their control. Day by day bitcoin is changing by big hands, they are manipulating us and we keep calling the moon, very soon blah blah.
Activity: 476
Merit: 100
I agree with you, i don't like those KYC blah blah blah because it's ruining our privacy the main problem is that people can do some identity theft, but we can't change the fact that a lot of people look bitcoin as an investment
Activity: 476
To enter the world of crypto and start trading, we need capital. Therefore, we can call it an investment because there is initial capital in it. And please do not equate Bitcoin with gambling. Of course very different.
Activity: 560
Merit: 10
Doesn't matter for me actually i used it for investment and currency as well it's up to the person what he wants to do with his coin or what he calls it
Activity: 658
Merit: 268
bullsvsbears.io
Well as we all know that bitcoin is an investment and we can't imagine that we can stop calling it as an investment. We all know that bitcoin is one of the best investing as of now because of the price that fast to change compare to others that we need to study it first. Bitcoin is the best of the crypto world in term of investment.
Yes and is calling bitcoin as an investment affect different things? Not right? Because its just a named to it. And you cant stop people doing that because as they experience and getting profit from it. We all know that you also knew what bitcoin can give to you once you invest here.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Every currency can be investment, even cryptocurrency, there is nothing wrong with that. Its definetely not something what hurts crypto.
Activity: 560
Merit: 11
I see that the bitcoin function is not just for trading, bitcoins have volume, supply, and value. it's like any other currency.

USD is not a place to trade, but it is more suitable to be an investment place, because of its slow fluctuations.

but, bitcoin is perfect, investment, trading, and used for transaction. crowdfunding investment has a small risk, but I doubt it and the result is small.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 516
Unfortunately bitcoin is more popular as investment although bitcoin was never created as investment, most of the people are interested in bitcoin because it can give them profit they rarely see bitcoin as a currency and I don't really agree to see buying crypto as a gambling, we got data and chart and everything to help us determine the market value, so buying and holding crypto is called speculating
Activity: 93
Yes nowadays it become more investment  rather than Currency but it can be both for me nothing wrong with these two option you make
Activity: 644
Merit: 261
I can not do it, because it's true that Bitcoin is a pretty promising Investment even though now its price has decreased. I think Bitcoin is a form of one investment that gives you an advantage if it is in a heap and not on sale until you really need the money .. actually that's what I do
Activity: 84
I think i can stop calling bitcoin an ivestment and i will calling bitcoin an trade or business with big profit.HODL is my strategy in this business of buying when cheap sell when expensive
Activity: 159
Merit: 7
ARIZN - Tokenised Crowdfunding Platform
Well as we all know that bitcoin is an investment and we can't imagine that we can stop calling it as an investment. We all know that bitcoin is one of the best investing as of now because of the price that fast to change compare to others that we need to study it first. Bitcoin is the best of the crypto world in term of investment.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10

This damages the cryptocurrency. Bitcoin was not created to become an investment. Before Bitcoin, there were some digital currencies years back, the goal was always to be able to create a (digital) currency free from central banks and governments.
Cypherpunks and other anarcho-capitalists are at the origin of this idea, perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. None were intended to make an investment to be rich quickly.
You won't find in the white paper "investing" mentioned, you won't find any post from Satoshi mentioning it

Considering Bitcoin as an investment, this is the reason why we have more and more regulations, G20 summits and others craps, KYC, etc...
The word "Crypto-assets" didn't exist before, why did they create it? Because you even consider it an investment, then why shouldn't they?
Bitcoin could be a lot more accepted and used by now. Why should a merchant agree to be paid in Bitcoin? He wants money, not a piece of your investment.

Go to the altcoins board, you will surely find plenty of ICOs where you can say you invested in. I have something for you, ICOs used to raise money are no different than "Crowdfunding". If you want to invest then there are a lot of Crowdfunding websites where you can invest in real startups with fewer risks, (you won't find any project using photos from Pixabay...)

You can see that bitcoin prices are fluctuating constantly and I think most investors enter the crypto market just to speculate rather than invest. Investing is for the long-term benefit and development of coin, and speculation is for immediate profit but not for the long term. So I think that at this point we can not say much about the future of bitcoin or the crypto market.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 513
it doesn't matter whether you call it investment or not, unless people there is possibility to gain profit people will continue invest in it.

That's true. As long as it gives that chance of a helping hand for making money I also do not think it matters whether its called investment or some other term is used for it. 
Activity: 546
Merit: 102

you can not just assume bitcoin is not an investment
do you know why bitcoin now and even until later will always be an investment?
because of the limited supply of bitcoin and get it you have to do mining activities
to mine the miner should have equipment that is not cheap price
but the main factor is the limited supply just like gold
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
I am all in favor of more use as currency than use as speculative investment tool. I however am realistic enough to understand that we can't have that in this early exploration stage. Even if people do as you say and invest in ICO's and altcoins, they will still affect Bitcoin because due to regulations (KYC/AML) there is no way for most of them to cash out in USDT and USD. What happens is that these people dump their coins for Bitcoin because it's the most liquid coin by far -- there is nothing that comes even close to Bitcoin in that regard. Bitcoin is for the crypto space what the USD is for the world economy. Both are base currencies.
Activity: 392
Merit: 1
You are really right on this, bitcoin  is not solely for investment but a digital asset or currency. It is about time we start treating bitcoin with the best regards that it deserves. We need to place a value on it by using it frequently as a currency for goods and services when dealing with people.
Activity: 392
platform for everyday business

Actualy those happen before thats there was created digital currencies in order to create there own free from central banks with the government is been created privately to the  purpose for there own seek,unlike the bitcoin now its is created for the  purpose to help in economic growth and social responsibility,so therefore we called btc is an investment  and at the same time as a payment in making transaction,therefore bitcoin currency other called a multi tasking currency,because of its different purpose to the community,being a digital figured currency.
Activity: 20
Merit: 4

Sorry man, but it's just more valuable as a store of wealth right now than a form of instant transactions. While I do agree with you and support your cause, I cannot say that bitcoin is a practical currency at this stage, and therefore is not something that I would see myself going to a merchant with to do business (unless of course it is regarding a service and the merchant can wait patiently for the coins to come through).

But in terms of daily services, the network that is fundamental to bitcoin cannot actually function to the level of other competitors, namely visa and mastercard. Myself, I'd much rather put cash on the table because I see it as the instant transaction of value. When I can put bitcoin on the table in the same manner, I will adopt it unrelentingly.
Pages:
Jump to: