Pages:
Author

Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED - page 10. (Read 23718 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 10
January 28, 2014, 12:21:55 AM

Seems the moral of the story is anyone involved in bitcoin business, legit or not, really ought to bug out of the USA, and find a free country to do business in.

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
January 28, 2014, 12:05:50 AM

Well actually there is a law.  It is the BSA (or more correctly "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970").  The BSA gives FinCEN rather wide latitude in determining which institutions fall within its scope, and what regulatory requirements they must meet.

Which has nothing to do with bitcoins.

@jballs - awesome name

Did BitInstant only deal in bitcoins?

""The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"" doesn't apply to selling bitcoins. Of course Feds will say anything since they have the most guns (for now).

Does "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970" apply to fiat transactions. Did BitInstant make fiat transactions?

The position of the US Government when it comes to money laundering is that to all intensive purposes it make little or no difference if the funds being laundered are USD or BTC. Start with the FINCEN guidance http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html and follow the press releases of government officials. So the pirateat40 "funny money" defence will get you a jail cell.
legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
January 28, 2014, 12:00:50 AM
This news is actually good.

IT seems this is just an extension of the SR investigation. And we all agree that SR was  detrimental to btc at this stage. This has nothing to do with the actual btc platform. In fact, in the statement released, there is more evidence that bitcoin as an entity will be left alone. :

"Truly innovative business models don't need to resort to old-fashioned law-breaking, and when Bitcoins, like any traditional currency, are laundered and used to fuel criminal activity, law enforcement has no choice but to act."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ceo-of-winklevoss-backed-bitcoin-company-arrested-2014-01-27?link=MW_latest_news

all in all, its a fascinating development, but in a blazay kind of way.

THIS..

If they knew about the fact they breack the law, and they do.. And Law enforcment have been able to track this and act, this is good for Bitcoin.  This prove that Bitcoin is'nt more "anonymous" than fiat, afaik, unless super0precautions are taken. 

Then, Law Enforcment can't hate Bitcoin at a point they want to destroy it, because they seems able to look and act in case of a criminal action... This makes Bitcoin more interesting to everyone, including law inforcments agencies.

IMO : overall, it's good news if all true !

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010
January 27, 2014, 11:53:17 PM
i hope fbi take down half of bitcoin foundation member next.

Wow. What do you wish upon your enemies?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 11:50:48 PM
i hope fbi take down half of bitcoin foundation member next.
legendary
January 27, 2014, 11:45:01 PM

Well actually there is a law.  It is the BSA (or more correctly "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970").  The BSA gives FinCEN rather wide latitude in determining which institutions fall within its scope, and what regulatory requirements they must meet.

@jballs - awesome name

""The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"" doesn't apply to selling bitcoins. Of course Feds will say anything since they have the most guns (for now).

Does "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970" apply to fiat transactions. Did BitInstant make fiat transactions?

huh? I bought Jack n the Box today transacting with fiat...am I subject to "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"Huh?

No...derp

Oh, come on. Were other people paying for your sandwich by depositing fiat into your bank account?
legendary
Merit: 1003
January 27, 2014, 11:33:22 PM

@jballs - awesome name

huh? I bought Jack n the Box today transacting with fiat...am I subject to "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970"Huh?

No...derp
Activity: 899
Merit: 1002
January 27, 2014, 11:30:30 PM
Shrem made the fatal mistake of not encrypting any emails, and using his company email to organize shady side deals with this guy "BTCKing", who after reading the criminal complaint seems unbelievably retarded and totally inept at money laundering. If you go through the complaint he used the same email address to pay $13,000k in various cash deposits in one day through their payment processor who immediately flagged him. He does this again and again with Shrem having to clean up the mess everytime and even teach him how to avoid detection which the guy still failed to do.
legendary
January 27, 2014, 11:20:41 PM

@jballs - awesome name

legendary
January 27, 2014, 11:18:39 PM

@jballs - awesome name

legendary
January 27, 2014, 11:00:34 PM
This is all theater to scare people.

Shrem is in the good-ole-boy-secret-handshake-club himself, and the charges are completely ridiculous.

Not following FINCEN "guidelines" is not a crime, as there is no law. Even if there was a law, there is no jurisdiction.

Hopefully, some stupid people will sell and give me some cheap buy prices.

Actually not following FINCEN guidelines is one of the criminal charges against him.

Specifically 'failure to report suspicious activity" which can land you in a federal prison for 5 years.

Since he was arrested in New York, there is plenty of jurisdiction.

~BCX~

Actually, guidelines aren't laws, which is why they're called..."GUIDELINES", which is why there can be no real charges. It's either total bullshit theater to scare people (my guess), or the feds are just doing whatever they want with no respect for even their own laws (also plausible).

Jurisdiction has several elements. Merely being in a geographic area doesn't grant jurisdiction.

@jballs - awesome name

legendary
January 27, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Shrem is in the good-ole-boy-secret-handshake-club himself, and the charges are completely ridiculous.

Not following FINCEN "guidelines" is not a crime, as there is no law. Even if there was a law, there is no jurisdiction.

Actually not following FINCEN guidelines is one of the criminal charges against him.

Specifically 'failure to report suspicious activity" which can land you in a federal prison for 5 years.

~BCX~

Actually, guidelines aren't laws, which is why they're called..."GUIDELINES", which is why there can be no real charges. It's either total bullshit theater to scare people (my guess), or the feds are just doing whatever they want with no respect for even their own laws (also plausible).

Jurisdiction has several elements. Merely being in a geographic area doesn't grant jurisdiction.

@jballs - awesome name
legendary
January 27, 2014, 10:56:24 PM
Mark Thornton gets it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9MgCUMkfwc
January 27, 2014, 10:53:57 PM
I'm sure HSBC spent a lot of time, money and effort to cover their ass, and Shrem will probably cooperate and facilitate a further investigation and get out with hefty fines

I don't think so.

It's easy to misunderstand what happened with HSBC.

The majority of what HSBC was accused of was about not doing enough to detect and block Mexican drug cartels laundering money. Note "not doing enough".

Shrem is accused of something entirely different - not just doing an insufficient amount of work, but knowingly co-operating with someone he knew was a Silk Road dealer explicitly to help him launder money. It's the "knowingly" part that makes the huge difference.

The US DoJ did not seem to have large piles of emails from the head of compliance at HSBC showing him buying drugs and helping known dealers to evade his own controls. With BitInstant they do.

It is actually quite unlikely that there does not exist evicence of wrongdoing at many levels given the scale of HSBC's malfeascence (though I'll agree that it may not have reached their chief complience officer mainly because he/she is likely a careful and clued in person else they would not have gotten the job.)

It is also quite likely that the US DoJ does not have large piles of it, but that is probably mostly because they don't want it.  An artifact of the lobbying money spent at various levels of our government.

The trouble with secret evidence and 'parallel construction' is that it makes decisions and actions of the authorities non-believable to the clued in segment of the public.  When the likes of Shrem get busted and his counterparts at HSBC simply get an even bigger bonus at the end of the year, all of the otherwise valuable work in trying legitimately fight crime is severely depreciated.

The issue boils down to a few factors and 'transparancy' is one of the most important of these.

It's really no wonder Bitcoin businesses can't get bank accounts, when guys like Shrem were putting on a respectable face and doing that kind of thing behind the scenes. Silk Road and those involved with it are by far the most damaging thing that could ever have happened to Bitcoin, especially so early on.

Maybe, and maybe not.  It could be that Bitcoin has actually been surprisingly unmolested so far in part because there are so many mice who seem to have almost a compulsion to stick their heads into the mousetrap.  As they rapidly exit the ecosystem, that utility might vanish.

please watch the interview

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/09/whistleblower-hsbc-still-laundering.html

Please understand that the drug war is a racket, controlled by those who are above the law, at the expense of the people of the world, and make no further excuses for this abuse of power. Stand up for your rights before they are entirely gone.

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 27, 2014, 10:48:16 PM

~BCX~

Well actually there is a law.  It is the BSA (or more correctly "The Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act of 1970").  The BSA gives FinCEN rather wide latitude in determining which institutions fall within its scope, and what regulatory requirements they must meet.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
January 27, 2014, 10:36:23 PM
It's just a game, I guess. I guess this is my Super Bowl and the whatever-the-fucks just lost, so they're going to prison. Tough luck, bros - good luck with keeping your asshole covered.

I'll be surprised if Charles spends any time real time in jail.  His position and history within the ecosystem has probably resulted in a pretty strong hand.  I sure would not want to be one of his 'friends' right about now though.

---

@Bugpower:  Oh!  Magical Tux would totally make my day.  I used to have a lot of sympathy and respect for Mark, but since he fucked me for $5k that has mostly vanished.  If he rolls back the transactions and returns my 50 BTC like I asked, I'll put the voodoo doll back in it's box Smiley

legendary
January 27, 2014, 10:31:47 PM
Indeed - there should be a tick box at the top of this thread that makes people read the actual complaint before posting here!  The whole thing seems pretty clear cut to me, if you knowingly launder money, knowingly flaunt AML restrictions, and knowingly assist people in criminal acts, then you should expect this type of thing to happen to you.

Especially when you are the AML Officer for your company!

If you are going to play by their rules, what can you say when they come down on you for breaking them?
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
January 27, 2014, 10:25:43 PM
Quote from: BadBear
You should try actually reading the article, your analogy would only be valid if all he did was run the exchange, apparently he did more than that.

Indeed - there should be a tick box at the top of this thread that makes people read the actual complaint before posting here!  The whole thing seems pretty clear cut to me, if you knowingly launder money, knowingly flaunt AML restrictions, and knowingly assist people in criminal acts, then you should expect this type of thing to happen to you.

At least Lawsky, who is running the NY hearings later this week seems pretty circumspect about it:

"There are always going to be bad apples in any industry."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25918733

Will
Activity: 394
Merit: 250
January 27, 2014, 10:25:23 PM
Shrem needs to be dumped asap.

Probably best to wait and see who he rats out.  Maybe some other house-cleaning will be in order and it could be taken care of in a batch.

The obvious choice is Magical Tux. Mt Gox is next big target. There were 9.5M BTC in Silk Road revenue recycled SOMEWHERE in 2012 and 2013, and Mt.Gox was the leading exchange, one whose US accounts have ALREADY been frozen in the process of the SR investigation. The feds are going to do everything they can to cuff Tux. Now they have the leverage to extract the testimony from Shrem. I will be shocked if Gox survives 2014.
Pages:
Jump to: