Pages:
Author

Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED - page 8. (Read 23718 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 501
January 28, 2014, 01:31:25 PM
AND YES, if you walk into Chase bank and withdraw a bunch of money and tell Jamie Dimon it is so you can buy some drugs (or help others buy drugs) and Jamie Dimon says "cool dude" and then Jamie Dimon FURTHER tells you how to circumvent Chase's compliance infrastructure so you can CONTINUE to do this, THEN THE CEO OF CHASE BANK WOULD BE THE ONE ON A PERP WALK.

Doubt that would happen. That guy is pretty much above the law. As are the top execs of the other TBTF banks. HSBC only got fined for far worse money laundering of drugs money.
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
January 28, 2014, 01:19:48 PM
So if walk into a bank and get a loan and use that money to buy drugs even though the bank has no idea that I'm going to use it for drugs the feds will arrest the CEO if I get caught and they find out where I got my money?Huh  This case has no merit whatsoever.  The feds are just trying to scare people like they always do.

Your example makes no sense whatever.

The bank doesn't know what you're going to do with the money.

Charlie knew where the money was going and he knew The Silk Road was no mail-order gardening supply store... Ya'll need to stop acting stupid.

It's cool to dislike the gov't but Bitcoin needs to cut itself off from people like Charlie.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
January 28, 2014, 01:15:30 PM
I would rather he just OD'd and took himself out of the gene pool than justify all the disgusting human behavior that prohibition creates.

You will pay the price for your comments.
Take it personal if you want I have plenty of drug addict relatives myself, hell we all do don't we?

No, I don't. And anyway this doesn't give you the right to offend other people's feeling. Ignore list.

Really? No alcoholics, no cigarette addicts (that one is brutal), no prescription drug users (you know for the "fibromyalgia"), no morbidly obese who can't stay out the buffet ot the fridge at 2am?

Maybe you're of the Amish online community. Fine, the rest of us have drug addict relatives, or are or have been addicts ourselves. You want to criminalize some addicts and turn them into a feedlot profit center and cheer on the jackbooted thugs kicking doors in, that offends me.

That my country would tolerate this for one second "because drugs m'kay" grossly offends me:

http://benswann.com/new-mexico-police-force-enemas-anal-cavity-searches-on-drivers-pulled-over-for-minor-violations/

That any country has to endure THIS because someone's little brother can't be spared the hazard of making his own fucking decisions in life-

http://bitterqueen.typepad.com/friends_of_ours/2013/08/beheaded-remains-of-thirteen-kidnapped-mexican-youths-found-in-mass-grave.html

This?

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/11/01/mexican-daily-nearly-60000-drug-war-deaths-under-calderon/

This offends me,  yes it does. If it does not offend you, may want to rethink your values. None of this is caused by drugs. It is caused by prohibition and the profits it generates.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
January 28, 2014, 01:05:55 PM
So if walk into a bank and get a loan and use that money to buy drugs even though the bank has no idea that I'm going to use it for drugs the feds will arrest the CEO if I get caught and they find out where I got my money?Huh  This case has no merit whatsoever.

You obviously have no clue what the case actually is, because what you said has zero resemblance to it.  The case is not that he had "no idea" that anyone was using this for drugs, but that he knew damn well that it was for drugs and deliberately assisted in covering it up.

If they can actually prove what they claim, it's a no-brainer slam dunk case.  Now that's a big "if," but that's what their actual case is, not your straw man.  You could try, I dunno, actually reading the complaint [pdf at the bottom warning DOJ site if you avoid those scary places].  Not like it hasn't been repeatedly posted to the thread already.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1013
Be A Digital Miner
January 28, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
So if walk into a bank and get a loan and use that money to buy drugs even though the bank has no idea that I'm going to use it for drugs the feds will arrest the CEO if I get caught and they find out where I got my money?Huh  This case has no merit whatsoever.  The feds are just trying to scare people like they always do.
you need to learn how to read and analyse.   Read the story NOT the headline.
AND YES, if you walk into Chase bank and withdraw a bunch of money and tell Jamie Dimon it is so you can buy some drugs (or help others buy drugs) and Jamie Dimon says "cool dude" and then Jamie Dimon FURTHER tells you how to circumvent Chase's compliance infrastructure so you can CONTINUE to do this, THEN THE CEO OF CHASE BANK WOULD BE THE ONE ON A PERP WALK.

Activity: 3
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 12:58:50 PM
So if walk into a bank and get a loan and use that money to buy drugs even though the bank has no idea that I'm going to use it for drugs the feds will arrest the CEO if I get caught and they find out where I got my money?Huh  This case has no merit whatsoever.  The feds are just trying to scare people like they always do.
Activity: 42
January 28, 2014, 12:55:17 PM
This is expected. The only threat is from our own developers. Its only internal for us now. Go on weak hands, give me some $540 coin.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
January 28, 2014, 12:45:03 PM
I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything in support of the foolish, doomed, so-called "War on Drugs."  

However, even people who don't support prohibition don't by contrast automatically support all the crime that goes on in the drug trade, and quite reasonably don't want to be represented by people who do.  Like it or not, it does tarnish the name of Bitcoin.  As drug trafficking goes, there's everything from the praiseworthy, like activism for compassionate use, to the selfish but justifiable, like activism for one's own right to smoke whatever the hell you feel like, to the depraved, like murder for hire.  Money laundering for drug dealers to make millions of dollars really isn't on the praiseworthy side of the equation.

It shouldn't be the public face of Bitcoin, and if the BCF can't figure that out, maybe they should be raided.  Just for felony stupidity, if nothing else.  The presence of people like this on the board does nothing but harm Bitcoin.  Maybe not much, especially if they come to be taken less seriously as a result of this kind of foolishness.  I suspect other board members are worried about their own positions if Shrem qualifies for an ouster.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 28, 2014, 12:32:21 PM
imagine charly s. was trading apples. they busted him because:

he traded apples for dollars with someone,

who allegedly sold those apples to others,

who allegedly used apples to score drugs from others.

the feds are testing levels of support of the bitcoin community. if they get away with this, they own us. every bitcoin can be traced around some corners to silkroad. you are all criminals because some other people like getting high.  Roll Eyes

You missing the key components intent and knowledge.  In your example no crime has occurred.  The complaint (and yes it is only one side of the story but lets get that side of the story right) alleges that he KNEW the funds were used in criminal transactions AND WITH INTENT he actively broke his own companies policies in order to facilitate those transactions.

Is it true? I don't know, that is what juries are for.  However your example wouldn't even rise to an arrest warrant.  It is a complete and utter non-crime.

BTW: the war on drugs being stupid is a red herring.   The war on drugs IS stupid, massively wasteful, and ultimately pointless however today those laws are on the books.   One can believe the war on drugs is futile and at the same time understand that breaking those laws (no matter how stupid and pointless they may be) has real consequences from the entity with the guns and a monopoly on the use of lawful violence.

legendary
Merit: 1013
Be A Digital Miner
January 28, 2014, 12:30:50 PM

he then communicated with the apple seller acknowledging that that re-seller of apples was breaking the law and then told him how to continue to break the law.
who allegedly sold those apples to otherson a website where you can only use apples to buy the "goods" on the same website.
FTFY since you may not have read these two pertinent parts of the scheme.
legendary
Merit: 2106
January 28, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

who allegedly sold those apples to others,

the feds are testing levels of support of the bitcoin community. if they get away with this, they own us. every bitcoin can be traced around some corners to silkroad. you are all criminals because some other people like getting high.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
January 28, 2014, 11:41:43 AM
Here's a thought:

What the Bitcoin Foundation does about Shrem is their business, not ours.

The Foundation represents no-one but the Foundation. In the broader Bitcoin community, they have no mandate, and have no authority. They were not elected. They were not appointed by a higher authority.

So, for the same reason that they do not represent me, I have no say in how their private organisation rules itself.

However, as parties external to Bitcoin seem to treat them as if they were representative, I wish they would get their house in order or STFU. The allegations made against some of the members, if true, do nothing to help promote Bitcoin in the world, and arguably are ammunition for those who oppose Bitcoin.

Despite what else the Foundation may do to promote Bitcoin, the Foundation may overall be seen as harmful to the interests of Bitcoin because of the alleged conduct of prominent members.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale
January 28, 2014, 11:07:44 AM
Did I just read somewhere that they took 25Million in BTC from Charlie??

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2013/s3933146.htm

No. Is English your first language?

Yes it is, clearly I made a mistake when reading the post. I now see where I went wrong.

But I'm sure they took BTC from Charlie, I have ears and heard it through the grapevine.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
January 28, 2014, 11:05:20 AM

No. Is English your first language?
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale
January 28, 2014, 10:29:26 AM

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
January 28, 2014, 09:59:03 AM
TPTB only have to concoct a fake arrest to scare people from using bitcoin. Use this event as a buying opportunity.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
January 28, 2014, 09:52:57 AM
The Iran issue with HSBC is even more complicated.

The general way the US government is making its law international law via manipulation of the banking system leaves me deeply unhappy. Yes, it's nonsense that banks have become too big to enforce laws upon and nobody will argue that's a good thing. But in the case of HSBC specifically, the laws that were being enforced look more and more questionable the deeper you go.

For drug prohibition the issues are different but just as complicated.

Interesting. A lot of this goes over leveraging the SWIFT institutions, never mind US power over IMF and Worldbank (and Visa/Mastercard). Its going to be very interesting how the international financial law evolves in connection to offshore tactics. Say there would be a bitcoin friendly country integrating with the worldwide fiat network. I think a lot of this will then determine how bitcoin can be used for things which are done in fiat now.
Activity: 12
January 28, 2014, 05:53:46 AM
Divide and conquer. You see how it works?  Wink

I would rather he just OD'd and took himself out of the gene pool than justify all the disgusting human behavior that prohibition creates.

You will pay the price for your comments.....

Take it personal if you want.....
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
January 28, 2014, 05:37:15 AM

Take it personal if you want I have plenty of drug addict relatives myself, hell we all do don't we?

No, I don't. And anyway this doesn't give you the right to offend other people's feeling. Ignore list.

No right not to be offended. Right to not be a victim of civil rights violations resulting in death (being a victim of the war "on drugs" aka liberty, even if you have never voluntarily taken a controlled drug in your life), though. Ignore list.  Tongue
Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
January 28, 2014, 05:18:29 AM

Pages:
Jump to: