Pages:
Author

Topic: CEO OF BITCOIN EXCHANGE ARRESTED - page 11. (Read 23749 times)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 10:21:58 PM
I think this is the media spreading FUD about cryptocurrency. What about the $1 TRILLION plus that the Federal Reserve laundered? I don't see that everywhere.

What gets me is you'd think they'd be trying harder.

Exactly. Nobody knows where that $1 Trillion plus went, not even the Inspector General.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
January 27, 2014, 10:18:44 PM
Why would the Winklevosses back a guy like Charlie Shrem?   A simple google search brings up articles that are very questionable and certainly disqualify him from ever being taken seriously as the leader of any business.   Love the one that states "I will never hire someone I have not gotten drunk or stoned with".  A little background check before writing a venture capital check?

For the same reason people invest in Apple. A few minutes on Internet research and I found this: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/10/steve-jobs-first-business-was-selling-blue-boxes-that-allowed-users-to-get-free-phone-service-illegally/

With the following quote:
These boxes were designed in 1972 by Jobs’ close friend and future co-founder of Apple, Steve Wozniak.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
January 27, 2014, 10:17:48 PM
It's just a game, I guess. I guess this is my Super Bowl and the whatever-the-fucks just lost, so they're going to prison.
I do not think we are in disagreement, it is just the facts of life.   If you want to participate in the "game" and in the USA, there are rules.   Whether we think the laws are just is irrelevant as they will be enforced with power.   Do I think it is fair that google pays no US taxes and the government just pretends that it is a fact that "all googles revenue happens in Ireland, then Denmark then the Dutch Antilles and NOTHING is produced in the USA"?   NO.   Can I do anything about it?  NO.   Should I assume the same government would not put me in prison for using the same logic as google?  NO.
I could care less if Shrem smoked pot.   I could care less if Shrem avoided taxes.   I could care less that DPR started a site that allowed people to avoid cruising the streets for drugs.   None of these things affect my life nor my pursuit of happiness (actually it could be argued that silk road made my family safer since it took the drugs off the streets and likely lowered crime).
But I am not surprised the government cared and took action.    In the game of Whack a Mole that the feds play, Shrem sure kept popping his head up a lot.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1012
January 27, 2014, 10:16:10 PM
This guy is done and can do nothing but harm Bitcoin as a whole now.

No he can't. Any harm is already done and diminishing as we speak. Next week we will be on to the next story.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
January 27, 2014, 10:13:11 PM
I'll chime in...

Guilty or not he needs to step aside for the better of the community.  If/when this is resolved and if he is found not guilty then he can reapply for nomination.  Regardless, the us government is doing us all a favor.

They are:

1. Removing all the illegal perpetrators who give bitcoin a bad name

2. Proving they can still hunt down money launders who use bitcoin

3. forcing the government to rule on Bitcoins status as a currency for legal reasons

4. Forcing agencies (like the IRS) to now have to make determinations on bitcoin's status.

Everyday that goes by gets more interesting........

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
January 27, 2014, 10:08:58 PM
He should step down from the foundation ASAP.

this would diminish the presumption of innocence. A cardinal feature of rule of law/justice.

chargeing someone is not a conviction
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
January 27, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
This looks like a warning from the gorv

Fear the gorv!! The gorv will take your bitcoins and throw you in a rape cage!

What about the Gorn? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
January 27, 2014, 10:06:12 PM
Prosecutor can kindly go burn in Hell. Speechless. This is the most blatant anti-Bitcoin rights violation I've seen yet, way worse than the thug letters sent to Caldwell.
Shrem shouldn't step down from anything over this. The Foundation should be supporting him, not throwing him under the bus because they think they can influence the BTC price a couple points higher. Have some fucking integrity.
WHAT?
Did you read the complaint?   
Caldwell did not do anything wrong nor illegal.  How do you compare the two?
Shrem was all over magazines bragging about how rich he was and how much he loves weed and likely (since treasury is involved) NOT paying any taxes.   Then they have emails from him that prove he knew someone was laundering drug money through his company.   More than one law broken here.   And he had the gall to plaster his face everywhere bragging about his wealth -- I fail to see how you think anyone is to blame for this other than shrem.   It is fine to brag and promote yourself but if you are bragging in the papers about how much money you make, you better be paying your taxes.
Sorry to bring up Mike -- that was the last federal government load of crap which got a sudden pissed off reaction from me when I learned about it, so I immediately connected the two, emotionally.

With regards to natural law, Shrem's committed exactly zero crimes. I'm very irritated that he may be facing years in federal prison over this. I'm pissed off when the first responses I read (after already being pissed off from reading the news) is that Shrem should resign for peoples' personal gain, because they think Bitcoin's going to be "tainted" by someone disregarding immoral laws when he's been making statements like this for so long. The insincere Winklevoss statement is probably the worst, like spitting on his face. (ETA: Had the stomach to actually read their statement, and it's nothing like the sensational condemnation in the press.) The questions over whether or not they did any background checks is totally valid... it's not like anyone who's read one damn sentence spoken by the guy thought Shrem was a freakin' Boy Scout and part-time pastor.

As I was taught in my law classes, all LEOs in the US are bureaucrats, with the ability and duty to actively interpret laws and determine whether or not certain crimes are worth enforcing, which is why any sane police officer isn't going to drive around fining/arresting jay-walkers, pot-smokers, and people with broken-down cars.

It's just a game, I guess. I guess this is my Super Bowl and the whatever-the-fucks just lost, so they're going to prison. Tough luck, bros - good luck with keeping your asshole covered.

ETA: Calm, now. Gets under my skin... I've had >$2m equiv scammed or stolen from me in the past few years, and I know others who've lost a lot more. I don't absolve myself of blame there, but I'm quite poor and burdened because of it. A good chunk of the relatively low income I make goes right to my "involuntary lenders." I've talked to police and I've filed federal complaints, but I don't see a penny in restitution. The LEOs don't even talk back to me. Charlie goes out and buys freakin' weed brownies and helps a pothead launder money, and all the sudden, $millions in net annual productivity goes to prison because someone may've been scamming the government out of a few hundred $k.
legendary
Merit: 1003
January 27, 2014, 10:01:32 PM

Fear the gorv!! The gorv will take your bitcoins and throw you in a rape cage!
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
January 27, 2014, 10:01:23 PM
Shrem needs to be dumped asap.
Probably best to wait and see who he rats out.  Maybe some other house-cleaning will be in order and it could be taken care of in a batch.
Does Shrem need to be dumped by the Bitcoin Foundation or do a lot of respectable bitcoin users/entrepreneurs need to DUMP the foundation (and constantly clarify that the foundation does NOT represent bitcoin)?
I do not think there is just one bad representative for bitcoin in a ranking position at this "foundation".
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 10:00:13 PM
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
January 27, 2014, 09:58:29 PM
Shrem needs to be dumped asap.

Probably best to wait and see who he rats out.  Maybe some other house-cleaning will be in order and it could be taken care of in a batch.

legendary
January 27, 2014, 09:54:58 PM
I think this is the media spreading FUD about cryptocurrency. What about the $1 TRILLION plus that the Federal Reserve laundered? I don't see that everywhere.

What gets me is you'd think they'd be trying harder.
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 09:52:30 PM
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 09:48:26 PM
This is bad making people think of bitcoin are bad...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
January 27, 2014, 09:36:54 PM
"knowingly contributing to and facilitating anonymous drug sales"

Isn't that's what everyone running TOR nodes doing too?

You should try actually reading the article, your analogy would only be valid if all he did was run the exchange, apparently he did more than that.
legendary
January 27, 2014, 09:35:18 PM

If The Bitcoin Foundation fails to expunge this guy, it will forever taint the entire coin in the general public's eye. The acceptance of the general public is the only path for Bitcoin to grow beyond what it is today.

Read the indictment, this guy was clearly funding illegal activity, exactly what Bitcoin doesn't need.

~BCX~

You're clearly one of the aforementioned scumbags. Please kill yourself and welcome to my ignore-land.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
January 27, 2014, 09:34:10 PM
"knowingly contributing to and facilitating anonymous drug sales"

Isn't that's what everyone running TOR nodes doing too?
legendary
January 27, 2014, 09:33:47 PM

I suggest read the indictment, Count Four "Willful Failure To Report Suspicious Activity" and its associated code which results in a 5 year prison term. It's an actual crime in violation of a law, not a simple guide line. Charlie was in the USA and is definitely within the jurisdiction of the USA. His other charges equal 20+ years. This guy is going to be busy for the next several decades in club fed.

I suggest your read the indictment located at the bottom of this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-ceo-of-major-bitcoin-exchange-arrested-2014-1#ixzz2rcQNGOtj

~BCX~

I'm not disputing that those are the charges. I'm saying that they are total bullshit and have no legal merit. Them stealing peoples money and calling themselves "prosecutors" doesn't change what's already in writing. They're making it up as they go along.
legendary
Merit: 1012
January 27, 2014, 09:31:57 PM
Prosecutor can kindly go burn in Hell. Speechless. This is the most blatant anti-Bitcoin rights violation I've seen yet, way worse than the thug letters sent to Caldwell.

Shrem shouldn't step down from anything over this. The Foundation should be supporting him, not throwing him under the bus because they think they can influence the BTC price a couple points higher. Have some fucking integrity.

Shrem tried to play ball with the powers that be. He was BitInstant's Compliance Officer, in charge of ensuring its (the company's) compliance with anti-money laundering laws. Then he got caught cheating at their game.

Have you read the complaint?

http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/January14/SchremFaiellaChargesPR/Faiella,%20Robert%20M.%20and%20Charlie%20Shrem%20Complaint.pdf

If you are going to play ball in the US, don't try to beat them at their own game...

Disclaimer: My personal opinion is that drugs should be decriminalized and money laundering is a fake crime, but my opinion doesn't matter when I'm living in the USA!

Pages:
Jump to: