Pages:
Author

Topic: [CHARTS] Brief monthly overview of the local boards activity - page 46. (Read 18450 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
It is wrong for all local boards to be classified at the same level due to the differences between them in terms of activity, Merit sources, and deleted posts. Therefore, it is better to define levels and then make statistical measurements on them.
Well, that's why i call it brief, as I didn't want to go in depth with the details and analysis, i prefer to keep it relatively simple and stick to the numbers.

It will also be to compare each local board with itself in terms of the increase or decrease of posts from the previous month, the distribution of Merits, and deleted posts.
I planned to do that  for this month overview, to include decrease/increase of merit, posts and merit/post ratio, percentage wise, but in the end I scratched that idea, but i might include that in the next monthly overview when I plan to use some better chart tool (another thing I planned to do for this month, but I was kinda lazy)

I will translate the topic to my local board for further discussion Grin.
Nice, good to hear that!
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
It is wrong for all local boards to be classified at the same level due to the differences between them in terms of activity, Merit sources, and deleted posts. Therefore, it is better to define levels and then make statistical measurements on them.
It will also be to compare each local board with itself in terms of the increase or decrease of posts from the previous month, the distribution of Merits, and deleted posts.

I will translate the topic to my local board for further discussion Grin.
legendary
Brief monthly overview of the local boards activity for the period February 28th - March 31st

As the last time, all data was taken from @DdmrDdmr Merit Dashboard.

Number of posts in the period between February 28th  and March 31st

No changes at the top 3, Russian is still the most active local board by far, followed by German and Turkish boards, while French and Pilipinas changed the spots(French increased by almost 50% compared to the previous month, while Japanese board experienced even more drastic increase ). Few boards saw significant decrease in post quantity, like Romanian (had quite a few posts deleted) and Indonesian, that had approximately 50% decrease.

Number of merits in the period between February 28th and March 31st

As in the last month, Russian is still at the top of the merit list, but Turkish  board very close this month, mostly due Russian board having 25% decrease in merit distribution while Turkish staying almost the same as last month. Another very active local board, German, had even bigger merit decrease.

Merit/Post ratio

It is obvious that Romanian board sticks out here as a sore thumb, and its due  low post amount (additionally  incrsased by huge amount of deleted posts, compared to their activity0 in the combination with one big 50 merit transaction, that kinda "padded" their merit/post ratio. Another board that had big increase is Indonesian board, which was mainly affected by before mentioned decrease of posts in their board.

I just wanna mention again that these numbers shouldn't be taken too seriously, as there will be a lot of changes each month. A lot of things can change these numbers significantly, in both active boards and especially in those that have few dozens/hundreds posts.

To put things a bit more into perspective and to negate extremes a bit, i made another merit/post chart, this time for the period of last 3 months. First I wanted to make this chart for 6 months period, but some currently active boards would be excluded due high amount of deleted posts (e.g. Pilipinas board had 70k posts deleted between October and December), so I settled with 3 months. Even in this 3 month chart some had to be excluded due same reason, unfortunately.

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
<…> I know DdmrDdmr previously provided some very good statistics regarding merits per post ratio in each board. I wonder if he has anything up to date? <…>
I’m on it … I’ve got the information ready, and a small set of Beta data on the published Merit Dashboard, but still need to create the OP. I should have it at some point this week. Besides placing the info on the Dashboard, I’ll also recap the info on a regular post.

While looking over the results, I detected something pretty weird on the Chinese local board which I had not paid attention before: Month after month, the number of posts in the Chinese local board decreases (I mean negative number of created posts), and the number of merits is down to a few per month. I wonder in anyone from that local board has inner insights as to why this is happening (I assume I haven’t messed up here, which could be the reason, although I’ve double-checked it). It can't be all down to reindexing the post count numbers ...
legendary
Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276
Heisenberg Design Services
We have a similar situation there. Right now it's much better though. The merit/post ratio is much better than I expected.
The Indonesian board is a knowledge hub for many Indonesian bitcoiners who really don't have a good command with English, but in India we approximately speak over 22 different languages all over our country and this is why English is being referred to as a common language all over the country and has been an official language for Indian netizens.

This is also the reason why, some really good topics made by Indian members are being posted in global boards for better exposure rather than the Indian sub-board. Probably this situation wouldn't change and I would say this is really good since many global members are being educated by the topic as well and it's not being restricted only to Indians. But to increase the activity, we are thinking up of bringing the global topics through translation to Indian board so that our people who aren't really well versed with English might gain knowledge on the topic.
legendary
Just a few additional quick comments:

a)   The data in the OP is relative to one month only. It gives us a fair bird’s eye view of merit/post in the different local boards, and the number of merits and posts within those sections, but it is subject to noise.

As is pointed out on this thread, some months have strange variations in the number of posts, be it due to deletions, threads being moved, re-indexing process, or me tabulating some figure wrongly. For example, the Spanish local board has -327 posts in the Hardware and Mining childboard. Regardless of the reason (I’ve checked that it is not a tabulation error), the merit/post is wildly affected there by this fact. In general, it is better to have various month’s readings to avoid the noise.
First, thanks for your inputs, they are always appreciated!

I wanted to focus mainly on the current situation in local boards, without going too much in the past, but I will certainly add few more stuff for the next monthly overview, like maybe adding some average merit/post ratio in the period of let's say 3 or 6 months, just to average things and give a bit clearer picture. But as previously mentioned, these ratios can very a lot due various reasons, and they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Note: The data for posts and merits in the OP can be aligned, by filtering the dates on the tabs where the merit numbers are derived from. For example, the following (data already filtered) would be the tab I would use to derive the data for the period Jan 28..Feb 28: https://public.tableau.com/shared/ZZDTZZZ5F?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link
Thanks for this suggestion, it definitely makes more sense, so i updated both Merit and Merit/Post ratio charts according to that data.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
Just a few additional quick comments:

a)   The data in the OP is relative to one month only. It gives us a fair bird’s eye view of merit/post in the different local boards, and the number of merits and posts within those sections, but it is subject to noise.

As is pointed out on this thread, some months have strange variations in the number of posts, be it due to deletions, threads being moved, re-indexing process, or me tabulating some figure wrongly. For example, the Spanish local board has -327 posts in the Hardware and Mining childboard. Regardless of the reason (I’ve checked that it is not a tabulation error), the merit/post is wildly affected there by this fact. In general, it is better to have various month’s readings to avoid the noise.

b)   A local board has multiple childboards as we know, and the difference within these in terms of merit/post ratio varies wildly. For example, I created this table for my local board not that long ago:

I’m not going to disec the above table here, but the average (last column) is 0,131, and lately between 0,2 and 0,49. That’s kind of half what we see in the reading from the chards in the OP. Adding perspective helps.

c)   The number of posts in Altcoins influences a fair share on the ratio, decreasing its value. If a local board is still rather actively creating posts there, then likely the overall merit/post there will decrease further in comparison to other local boards.

Note: The data for posts and merits in the OP can be aligned, by filtering the dates on the tabs where the merit numbers are derived from. For example, the following (data already filtered) would be the tab I would use to derive the data for the period Jan 28..Feb 28: https://public.tableau.com/shared/ZZDTZZZ5F?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
It is surprising that Indonesian board has over a thousand posts in a single month, considering there is an apparent decrease of posts in the mainboard. I believe the majority comes from the alt sections which is 'spammy friendly' since a long time ago, though right now it significantly got better.

Prior to the appointment of the merit source in our local, the whole board was lacking quality and was infested with spams which were being posted for the sake of gaining post count. Apart from this, there was no improvement in the total activity of the board and most of the users have moved onto the global boards and significantly the interest in the local board started diminishing as well.

We have a similar situation there. Right now it's much better though. The merit/post ratio is much better than I expected.
legendary
Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276
Heisenberg Design Services
With the recent legalization of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in India, I believe there would be a significant rise of activity in our Indian local board. Statistics which would be counted upon from March might have a difference (increase) in activity while comparing to previous months.

Prior to the appointment of the merit source in our local, the whole board was lacking quality and was infested with spams which were being posted for the sake of gaining post count. Apart from this, there was no improvement in the total activity of the board and most of the users have moved onto the global boards and significantly the interest in the local board started diminishing as well.

Are the Russian and French sections significantly under-merited, for example, or is it that the Spanish and Indian sections are over-merited?
From a practical view point, some topics and posts in Indian section deserves more than a merit and most of the posts doesn't deserve even a single merit. Also, I merit based on the exposure of a particular topic since 90% of our board is in English. For instance, if a topic is posted in global English board it might receive 4-5 merits on a whole and when they are posted in local board they would receive the same exposure of 4-5 merits as well. Well, if my memory serves right I have never given more than a 5 at one single merit tx for a post/topic.
legendary
Also, it looks like this month of February have been the greatest sMerit distribution so far in Pilipinas Section.
Good to hear that, it was one of the best months for our local board as well (3rd best since introduction) merit wise. But it is no surprise, since theymos increased smerit allocation of active merit sources few months ago.

Dutch and Arabic are obviously outliers because their low number of posts, but it's difficult to draw conclusions about the other sections. Are the Russian and French sections significantly under-merited, for example, or is it that the Spanish and Indian sections are over-merited?
Yeah, it is hard to draw any conclusions about that without being active in those boards. Deleted posts are also a factor, for example Spanish board had more than 400 posts removed in the mentioned period, therefore affecting merit/post ratio significantly. In January they made 871 posts and shared 292 merits, making it 0.34 merit/post ratio, more than 50% less compared to February. These numbers vary a lot from month to month from what i could notice, that's why I mentioned it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It would much easier to read the graphs if each section retained the same color between graphs.
I agree, and I realized that after i made charts. Simple chart tool i used didn't have that option. I plan to sort that out in the next monthly overview.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Farewell o_e_l_e_o
It would be useful if we could see up to date merit/post ratios for a number of the English speaking boards as well the English speaking section as a whole. Dutch and Arabic are obviously outliers because their low number of posts, but it's difficult to draw conclusions about the other sections. Are the Russian and French sections significantly under-merited, for example, or is it that the Spanish and Indian sections are over-merited?

If we exclude Russia for being an outlier in terms of number of posts, and look at the next 5 sections - German, Turkish, Pilipinas, French, and Croatian - all have a ratio of around 0.2 - 0.3, which is probably where our real average lies. Indeed, adding up posts and merits from all local sections gives a ratio of 0.26.
It mainly due to spam, I guess. Look at my past statistics on local boards and local moderators.
These data show us the fact that Russian moderators have to trash spam topics much more than other local moderators. You can easily see it by checking post history of Russian moderators.

I'm surprised Pilipinas Section is more actively than I thought.
For daily merit operations over local boards, here you go: Time series plots of daily merits over boards. Pilipinas and some others have more actively merit operations after new merit sources allocated to their boards.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
It would be useful if we could see up to date merit/post ratios for a number of the English speaking boards as well the English speaking section as a whole. Dutch and Arabic are obviously outliers because their low number of posts, but it's difficult to draw conclusions about the other sections. Are the Russian and French sections significantly under-merited, for example, or is it that the Spanish and Indian sections are over-merited?

If we exclude Russia for being an outlier in terms of number of posts, and look at the next 5 sections - German, Turkish, Pilipinas, French, and Croatian - all have a ratio of around 0.2 - 0.3, which is probably where our real average lies. Indeed, adding up posts and merits from all local sections gives a ratio of 0.26.

I know DdmrDdmr previously provided some very good statistics regarding merits per post ratio in each board. I wonder if he has anything up to date?

It would much easier to read the graphs if each section retained the same color between graphs.
asu
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1135
I'm surprised Pilipinas Section is more actively than I thought. For some reason being at the top 4 makes sense that it's still been active even though yobit campaign ended on 27 Jan that boost the posting activities there while the data gathered starts on 28 Jan and still keeps the number of made per posts there.

Also, it looks like this month of February have been the greatest sMerit distribution so far in Pilipinas Section.

Per Month
Code:
February: 1028 Merit

Make it to the list of another achievement that has been unlocked. A new all time high record for monthly sMerit distribution. This month we surpassed it with certainty to a 4 digits!
legendary
For the last few months I am writing short overview of our local board posts and merit activity. I was curious how we compare with other boards, so I made few charts for February report. Might as well share it here too, some people may find it useful/interesting, and I'll add one more chart with merit/post ratio.

As I said in the title, it will be  monthly overview, and brief, so I don't plan to go into details. All data was taken from @DdmrDdmr Merit Dashboard.

Number of posts in the period between January 28th and February 28th

As seen in the chart below, Russian board is by far the most active one, having almost as many posts as all other local boards combined, followed by German and Turkish local boards. I knew that Russian board is very active, but I didn't know there is such difference compared to rest of them.
Few local boards that have negative post difference are missing, like Chinese and Scandinavian.

Number of merits in the period between January 28th and February 28th

There is no surprise that Russian local board is yet again on the top, considering their activity, but difference between them and few others like German, Turkish and Pilipinas is significantly smaller  compared to the  post difference.

Merit/Post ratio

Since i made charts for posts and merit, might as well compare that data to get  merit/post ratio. I must say that results are surprising, and for some boards might be even misleading (e.g. Dutch board had quite a few posts deleted compared to their activity, and that might pump their ratio). Like in the post chart, some boards are excluded due negative post count, or in Hebrew case not getting even single merit.
I expect this chart to change quite a lot each month and shouldn't be  taken too seriously, as many things can affect it, like deleted posts, merit giveaways etc.

List of monthly overviews

March 2020
April 2020
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020
September 2020
October 2020
November 2020
December 2020

January 2021