Pages:
Author

Topic: ChromaWallet (colored coins): issue and trade private currencies/stocks/bonds/.. - page 3. (Read 96886 times)

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004
BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Is there any way to incentivise the uptake of ChromaWallet amongst people running bitcoin nodes, and/or is there any chance support for it could be incorporated into bitcoin core?
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Killerstorm,

Could you possibly outline the differences between your implementation and the CoinPrism one?

Also, I've got some trading services I'd like to explore - will you be releasing an API for your colour implementation? That would help me choose between ChromaTokens (?), CoinPrism (no API) and CounterParty (has an API).

Thanks!
Chromawallet is a wallet and a server. It uses JSON instead of an API because it doesn't run on a central server. Others running the client will have to import your short JSON script to see your bids/asks. It would be cool if a central exchange like Counterparty would add Colored Coin to their API to do that for you.

Coinprism is like Colored Coin, but runs on an Open Assets server, which is not open source yet. Chromawallet is open source and needs folks to run colored coin servers along with their Bitcoin nodes.
Killerstorm,

Could you possibly outline the differences between your implementation and the CoinPrism one?

Also, I've got some trading services I'd like to explore - will you be releasing an API for your colour implementation? That would help me choose between ChromaTokens (?), CoinPrism (no API) and CounterParty (has an API).

Thanks!
donator
Colored coin may help solve the IP dilemma.

Let's say I create an original digital image and want to sell a limited set of copies online.
1. Starting with the uncompressed original I use the image to create a SHA256 hashed Bitcoin address.
2. I then take that address and embed it into a slightly compressed copy.
3. Then I send some bitcoins to that address to issue colored coins.
4. I sell the compressed copy along with a corresponding colored coin using p2p trade on my Deviant Art website.

The copies and coins are part of a limited set issued by the author. I understand that copies of the art will be pirated, but the colored coins cannot. They can be used to prove ownership of a copy with the colored coin. If anyone wishes to buy a copy and ensure that it is a legitimate copy, they need only buy it on auction by placing a buy and having it accepted or accepting an existing offer.

Software can be done the same way. Make it easy to copy and use, but if anyone wants a legitimate copy they buy a token. Upgrades can be distributed in this way (though I recommend only using verified copies). Then the IT or Accounting department needs only manage the tokens.
donator
Let's try trading something tangible via p2ptrade: online auction experiment

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2961zu/an_online_auction_using_colored_coins/
This will be an invaluable service for artists. Using a token to authenticate an original work ensures its authenticity and ownership through a blockchain embedded chain of custody.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015
legendary
We're still working on .app/.dmg bundle for Mac OS X, but less convenient way to install/launch it works (probably.... please test it!). Unpack this archive:

http://killerstorm.xen.prgmr.com/alex/chromawallet-mac-0.0.7.tgz

and run chromawallet inside chromawallet directory.

(And BTW it would be cool if somebody can help with .app. Basically it boils down to writing py2app script.)
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Stupid question: is this 100% compatible with the coinprism implementation of colored coins?

No, it isn't compatible with CoinPrism. Although we might add support for CoinPrism colors some time later.

So it's Betamax vs. VHS all over again?
If I understand it correctly, Coinprism uses a centralized server, while chromawallet does not.

My understanding was that the centralized server aspect of Coinprism was incidental. I was pretty sure what they did could work in a decentralized way but just nobody has released a wallet code for it yet (but they're working on it).

Interesting... would be great if we could all agree on one colored coin protocol, but I'm just a casual observer here...
legendary

A year ago we decided that colored coins is the name of a concept, rather than a specific protocol. So many different protocols can exist.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing. Different protocols have different traits, and it is up to "the market" to decide which is the optimal one.

I expect that eventually one protocol will dominate, but we also can end up with different protocols being used for different things. It isn't a problem to implement several protocols in one wallet applications.

donator
Stupid question: is this 100% compatible with the coinprism implementation of colored coins?

No, it isn't compatible with CoinPrism. Although we might add support for CoinPrism colors some time later.

If I understand it correctly, Coinprism uses a centralized server, while chromawallet does not.

legendary
I've updated packages, no need to download cacert.pem if you got version 0.0.7a.
legendary

donator
Ouch, packaging script missed cacert.pem, sorry.

You can download this file from here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html and place it into chromawallet's directory.
That fixed it. Thanks.
legendary
Ouch, packaging script missed cacert.pem, sorry.

You can download this file from here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html and place it into chromawallet's directory.
donator
Version 0.0.7 (beta) is released: http://chromawallet.com/#download

This version implements SPV and fixes some bugs in p2ptrade.

There is still a number of smaller issues which we need to fix.

I'm getting the following error:

Code:
tines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:system lib>

The client is downloading the blockchain headers, however it fails to show a balance in bitcoin or any assets.
I'm getting the same thing with Win8.
LOL
Activity: 71
Merit: 10

I'm getting the following error:

Code:
tines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:system lib>

The client is downloading the blockchain headers, however it fails to show a balance in bitcoin or any assets.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

WHAT!?!? That's amazing.

Pages:
Jump to: