Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] 2 BTC for suggesting a name of an overlay network on top of Bitcoin - page 4. (Read 7035 times)

Activity: 576
Merit: 514
Since Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold: ArAu.

Some of the oldest known coins are made of Electrum and were found in Lydia. They are called Stater.

It's assumed that in Egypt, Electrum was called Asem.

The obvious Net can be added to each of them too.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
How about electrolysis
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1134
I don't understand why you can't just extend the core Bitcoin protocol. Bitcoin nodes are already doing a lot of work for each transaction - how much more overhead is it to index all transactions by address/pubkey (might need migration away from bdb).
Activity: 518
OK. How about Electrine ?
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Thanks. I think the name should be a little more unique, making it easy to find relevant info in search engine (try "Bitcoin Tesla", you'll receive a lot of results about Nvidia Tesla).

Also it should not be some name with registered trademark.
Activity: 588
Coinabul - Gold Unbarred
How about the Furnace Network™
Grin
Activity: 518
First !

I propose Electricity or Tesla or Electra or ...
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
I'm involved in development of Electrum client, which is very cool concept of chainless Bitcoin clients. Electrum client don't handle copy of Bitcoin blockchain, but ask servers for necessary information. Few days ago I proposed new version of network protocol (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17zHy1SUlhgtCMbypO8cHgpWH73V5iUQKk_0rWvMqSNs/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1) and I'm implementing server on top of this specification (not finished yet; https://gitorious.org/electrum-server/electrum-server/). My goal is to provide general-purpose server protocol and implementation, which act as overlay network over Bitcoin p2p network, providing bitcoin-related services for lightweight clients, eshop implementations etc.

genjix suggested that such server protocol/implementation should have it's own name to not confuse Electrum users. Although I like name "Electrum", I agree that using another name for server side and protocol is really good idea.

So I'm opening this contest to find some cool sounding name for such overlay network. I'm keeping the right to not pick any of suggested name and only the winner receive those 2 BTC. Please don't propose anything with bit* or *coin, I think there's already a lot of projects with similar names.
Pages:
Jump to: