Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED >:( ] >BitMain U2 Group Buy - Ship to US/Canada/Intl (.03/.029 BTC/ea) - page 2. (Read 4190 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250
But since I'm writing here, FFS Bitmain, I wish they would respond.  Just picked up more cheap BTC from Coinbase while the price was in the 420's (insert Silk Road joke here), now I've got close to 4BTC burning a hole in my wallet that is pegged for purchasing hardware from my group.  AHHHH!
that's a good price! (as of now)

Funny you say that, I'm sitting here looking at Bitcoinwisdom right now thinking "Oh man, I thought it was a good price when I picked up at $480 last week!".  Oh well, at least now I know if the price tanks I can file it as a loss on taxes since BTC is now property. :/
That's what many thought when it was at 600-800 range! low 400's might be a great time for a short term hold.
How much loss can we deduct in this case?

Here is a quick fact sheet that an accountant friend pointed me towards:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Ten-Important-Facts-About-Capital-Gains-and-Losses

Point 8 specifically says that you can report capital losses of up to $3k, however I think you'd have to have some significant bookkeeping because I could only imagine the first few BTC related audits being ugly. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
But since I'm writing here, FFS Bitmain, I wish they would respond.  Just picked up more cheap BTC from Coinbase while the price was in the 420's (insert Silk Road joke here), now I've got close to 4BTC burning a hole in my wallet that is pegged for purchasing hardware from my group.  AHHHH!

Funny you say that, I'm sitting here looking at Bitcoinwisdom right now thinking "Oh man, I thought it was a good price when I picked up at $480 last week!".  Oh well, at least now I know if the price tanks I can file it as a loss on taxes since BTC is now property. :/
That's what many thought when it was at 600-800 range! low 400's might be a great time for a short term hold.
How much loss can we deduct in this case?

legendary
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Hey reactor,

iluvpcs already has his antminer u2's... if the order isnt pushing through anytime soon, let me know, I would love to get a refund... its more expensive to buy from him, but it looks like bitmain will take a while...

Totally understand, say the word and I'll send a refund back.  You had 10 units reserved so it won't hurt the overall order since there were a few folks waiting to see if we had stock left. 

IF the order is still happening, I would gladly stay in the group buy... I'd just ask for a refund now so I can buy from somebody else, but dont take me off the list on this one just yet Smiley

Refund sent, but you're still on the list if things go through.

For anyone else - same option is available if you don't want me holding your cash. 

Thanks reactor!!! For the people still questioning if he's trustworthy, I think this refund is enough proof right?

Cheers everybody!
Hey reactor,

iluvpcs already has his antminer u2's... if the order isnt pushing through anytime soon, let me know, I would love to get a refund... its more expensive to buy from him, but it looks like bitmain will take a while...

Totally understand, say the word and I'll send a refund back.  You had 10 units reserved so it won't hurt the overall order since there were a few folks waiting to see if we had stock left. 

IF the order is still happening, I would gladly stay in the group buy... I'd just ask for a refund now so I can buy from somebody else, but dont take me off the list on this one just yet Smiley

Refund sent, but you're still on the list if things go through.

For anyone else - same option is available if you don't want me holding your cash. 
legendary
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Any chance I can get 10?
Shipped to MA.

Please let me know.

If the order goes through you'll be good for 10.  

Thanks. Should I send you the payment now or wait until the order goes through?
Any chance I can get 10?
Shipped to MA.

Please let me know.

If the order goes through you'll be good for 10. 
Hey reactor,

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Any chance I can get 10?
Shipped to MA.

Please let me know.
Hey reactor,

Hey reactor,

That $250 savings is exactly the reason I'm looking into it.  The S1 is pretty efficient, drawing less than 400 watts running at 200GH/s.  My interest here in the U2 was just to see how they'd perform compared to the S1.  The hardware would cost a bunch more at the outset to get 100 U2s (3BTC give or take) vs the <1BTC paid for the S1; however, the U2 farm would consume about half the power of the S1.  Would I make up the difference?  Eventually.  Like the gridseed, the U2 is pretty much a "fun" piece of hardware.  I'll probably end up giving them out to coworkers/friends as gifts to get them into BTC, once I've had my fun playing with them Smiley

I'm not talking about giving anything away, you're a nice person. Smiley

I just wanted to get rid of all of my high heat generating hardware before it gets warm again.  That's why Ants are ideal, I know they won't ROI but they're a way that I can flip on mining for any sha coin that I want to and can still be "in the game" because I'm a hardware geek at heart.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
That $250 savings is exactly the reason I'm looking into it.  The S1 is pretty efficient, drawing less than 400 watts running at 200GH/s.  My interest here in the U2 was just to see how they'd perform compared to the S1.  The hardware would cost a bunch more at the outset to get 100 U2s (3BTC give or take) vs the <1BTC paid for the S1; however, the U2 farm would consume about half the power of the S1.  Would I make up the difference?  Eventually.  Like the gridseed, the U2 is pretty much a "fun" piece of hardware.  I'll probably end up giving them out to coworkers/friends as gifts to get them into BTC, once I've had my fun playing with them Smiley
Exactly the reseller I've been looking at.  They've got the best price I've seen (at least among legitimate ones).  Also you gave them a pretty good review in an earlier post, so they'll likely get my business.  As I wrote, this would be more an experiment than anything else.  I don't currently have any kind of scrypt hashing power (my rMBP will only put out about 125k when using both the GPU and CPU).  Getting about triple the rate while also a) not potentially turning my laptop into a very expensive paperweight and b) consuming less than 10 watts at the wall for it?  Yes please.

Yeah, I mean Gridseeds won't really ROI so they're more on the fun side of hardware, but you really never know where the sha/scrypt markets will go if people start pumping money into them again.  Just look at stuff like TRC and PPC, at once point I was up 180% on my investment on both of those, right now I'm floating around 25% (buying and selling on BTC-e).  Now they're worth dirt, but much like with AsicMiner shares I'm being stubborn and holding.  Otherwise the Gridseed miner has worked great pointed at BTCGuild for BTC and their scrypt alternative ScryptGuild without issue, collecting about eight different coins for minimal power usage.  Actually just got my first electric bill since turning off the GPU rigs and switching entirely to my old BFL unit, some AM sticks, and my Gridseed, and saved over $250 this month alone.  Was hoping to add some Ants to that lineup, but, well... we'll see.
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Exactly the reseller I've been looking at.  They've got the best price I've seen (at least among legitimate ones).  Also you gave them a pretty good review in an earlier post, so they'll likely get my business.  As I wrote, this would be more an experiment than anything else.  I don't currently have any kind of scrypt hashing power (my rMBP will only put out about 125k when using both the GPU and CPU).  Getting about triple the rate while also a) not potentially turning my laptop into a very expensive paperweight and b) consuming less than 10 watts at the wall for it?  Yes please.
Not a problem.  Hopefully they'll get back to you and say, "Oh yes, we've been expecting your order!" Smiley

If this doesn't happen, I'll probably pick up one or two of those gridseed miners to play with.  I've got an RPi, a few USB hubs and a power supply hanging around that could be put to use mining scrypt.

In which case I'd recommend Zoomhash.  I'm actually on the fence between getting more of those or just sitting happy that I picked up a few BTC @ $450.  But Zoomhash was quick to deliver and have good prices for domestic US, especially considering Gridseed direct requires both MOQ of 500 units and the ability to handle the hardware in mainland China. Cheesy
legendary
Mine at Jonny's Pool
Not a problem.  Hopefully they'll get back to you and say, "Oh yes, we've been expecting your order!" Smiley

If this doesn't happen, I'll probably pick up one or two of those gridseed miners to play with.  I've got an RPi, a few USB hubs and a power supply hanging around that could be put to use mining scrypt.
Reactor,

I contacted Bitmain by email yesterday regarding placing an order for U2.  The following is the response from them:

Hi,
U2 is out of stock now, please follow our website store for open sales news.

Best Regards

BITMAIN

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from BITMAIN TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! Thank you.

Hopefully because you previously contacted them about placing an order they might have set some inventory aside for you, but I don't hold out much hope.

I don't even know at this point.  To be perfectly honest, if Bitmain hasn't responded back by the end of the day Friday I'm going to refund people and call this off.  I don't like holding other people's money and getting people's hopes up, I did my part by contacting them before the group buy and doing what they said to do, if they don't plan on responding to me at this point there isn't much else I can do. 

Again, holding out hope because they've previously gotten bad at communication when there were technical issues, but after I've followed-up three times I just get irritated.  Angry
Pages:
Jump to: