Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] Bitmine CoinCraft A1 28nm chip distribution / DIY support - page 28. (Read 81188 times)

donator
Activity: 919
Merit: 1000
So we need to buy chips to get samples right? What about possibility of smaller then 100 chips punches so we can buy them sooner for development?
[...]

The minimum quantity for this offer is 50 chips, and it was chosen based on my experience with other chip distributions where I realized that serving too many small customers kills my ability to ensure the service I would like to provide. A lot of 50 chips was therefore my compromise for offering an interesting entry volume for DIY folks and serious miners, as well as being a well sized offer for manufacturers of single chip devices.

Alas, for designers I understand that it is not ideal, since they do not want to order 50 chips just to see if the chip is doing as proposed. Therefore I am evaluating an additional offer dedicated to support you developers out there, without limiting my ability to handle everything well. The problematic part with low-volume orders is the shipping and handling component, which basically is identical whether someone orders 50 or 2 chips. The 8% surplus I put on top of Bitmine's prices are covering those expenses, but won't do so if applied to very small orders.

One option I am thinking of is to add a low-volume flat fee for smaller orders of say 1 BTC for quantities below the lot size, to compensate the S&H expenses. I understand that this would cause a huge cost overhead if buying a single chip. But assuming the reasonable number of chips required to test a design to be around 4 (if you want to test the binary-tree communication you need 3 or 7) it is maybe quite acceptable. As an example, 4 chips would be charged 4.4 BTC (3.4 for the chips plus 1 BTC low-volume fee).

What do you think, is this fair and acceptable?
Activity: 457
Merit: 250
Following.

Looks like a good chip might be worth a DIY open source hardware project.

That will result in a  Cry when pricing is announced.

Every new ASIC will end this way. Because no one wants to pre-order anymore (for good reason), ASIC companies will maybe give some estimate of cost. Then when the real product comes to life, the price proves to be too much.
Welcome to A-sick-bitcoin world.  Undecided
Activity: 826
That's what we're encouraging the users to do, there will be a best board design contest where the best 3 designs will be awarded with very interesting prizes!

Regarding the samples, I'm afraid there won't be any because we managed to pull out from the first pilot run of the foundry all the needed chips we need for the units and the chip sales of December, so you're basically getting them as soon as we get them too.

OK what about unfinished documentation you my have already... So we get the idea what we are dealing with...

So we need to buy chips to get samples right? What about possibility of smaller then 100 chips punches so we can buy them sooner for development?

Let say that condition would be that you need to show something you already did with any chips and you can buy less...

Thanks
Activity: 222
Merit: 100
Hi there!

We would be interested in making a board. Is there a chance to get samples and any type of unfinished documentation on chips ASAP?

Anyway we do not plan just to make a clone of what will be in documentation but add something to the product...

Let me know...

That's what we're encouraging the users to do, there will be a best board design contest where the best 3 designs will be awarded with very interesting prizes!

Regarding the samples, I'm afraid there won't be any because we managed to pull out from the first pilot run of the foundry all the needed chips we need for the units and the chip sales of December, so you're basically getting them as soon as we get them too.

Activity: 826
Hi there!

We would be interested in making a board. Is there a chance to get samples and any type of unfinished documentation on chips ASAP?

Anyway we do not plan just to make a clone of what will be in documentation but add something to the product...

Let me know...
Activity: 259
Dig your freedom
will the package be flip-chip or qfn like dissipating into the board?

It's an hybrid package using both for maximum thermal performances. The bottom will have the GND pad along much like the QFN for PCB dissipation while the top will be used to mount an heatsink much like BGA (flip-chip) style.
Estimated chip  size ? Or standard QFN xxx ?
Clock - internal ext.  ?

Activity: 141

It's an hybrid package using both for maximum thermal performances. The bottom will have the GND pad along much like the QFN for PCB dissipation while the top will be used to mount an heatsink much like BGA (flip-chip) style.
Activity: 243
ALTCOM Ab9upXvD7ChnJxDRZgMmwNNEf1ftCGWrsE
Interesting alternative in the 28nm league.
I will be watching.

We know that we're tight with the time but we will publish every document as soon as it will be available. The coming week we'll work on the FPGA chain prototype that will have exactly the same frontend code as the ASIC, that would be enough to start to work on the drivers. The IC packaging house is also finishing the drawings of the custom IC package that we'll use on the A1. This will make things a bit more challenging than a simple QFN, but we wanted a custom design built from scratch to withstand the specific characteristics of a bitcoin mining chip while still being cheaper than QFN.

Where I find documentation for that chip ?
Package, pinouts, voltage, thermal parameters, communication protocol etc ?

See OP:
[...]
Chip specifications, design documents, reference software, and everything that is required to design mining development will be provided through github incrementally, with a guaranteed availability of all required support material by end of October.

How I can miss that Tongue
End of October. In this case, we have very limited time to design.

We know that we're tight with the time but we will publish every document as soon as it will be available. The coming week we'll work on the FPGA chain prototype that will have exactly the same frontend code as the ASIC, that would be enough to start to work on the drivers. The IC packaging house is also finishing the drawings of the custom IC package that we'll use on the A1. This will make things a bit more challenging than a simple QFN, but we wanted a custom design built from scratch to withstand the specific characteristics of a bitcoin mining chip while still being cheaper than QFN.
Activity: 574
Alright I'll bite
Thanks Zefir for being our official distributor for the CoinCraft A1 ASICs!

This project is fully supported by Bitmine AG, soon the first documentation about the A1 will be uploaded on our github account so that specs will be available for everybody.

Good luck!
Activity: 924
Following.

Looks like a good chip might be worth a DIY open source hardware project.
donator

No, end of October is where the support material is guaranteed to be complete. This implies that it will be made available as open source as early as Bitmine has it - essentially DIY developers will have identical access to the relevant documents.

Since chip sales are part of their business, Bitmine has a vital interest to provide all available support to developers. That's why I am confident in this commitment enough to include the guarantee as part of the offer.
Dig your freedom

See OP:
[...]
Chip specifications, design documents, reference software, and everything that is required to design mining development will be provided through github incrementally, with a guaranteed availability of all required support material by end of October.

donator

See OP:
[...]
Dig your freedom
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Shouldn't this be in group buy subforum?   Huh https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=137.0 ....

Again not a group buy. Do you have a zefir problem?

My problem is unique to this thread and similar 'sale' threads.  Not sure where you read about a Zefir problem?  Enlighten me.  If you can make a distinction between 'group buy' and this thread I'm sure you can make a distinction between 'this thread' and Zefir?

Just a shame that this forum is not separate from a (I'd say 'the' but I guess since it's limited to only 'group buys' which probably wasn't the exact limitation in the spirit of that 'group buy' subforum) group buy / resell / sale forum (i.e., anything sales / advertising related).  Topics that seem interesting on this forum, to me, are the technical ones / vendor announcements, etc ... which is what brings, I'd assume, most people here.

This is more of a sale/advertisement and not really something that should not be on this forum.
donator
Shouldn't this be in group buy subforum?   Huh https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=137.0 ....

That's what I assumed, i.e. group buy threads are there to collect funds, while this is already paid and offered for distribution.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Shouldn't this be in group buy subforum?   Huh https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=137.0 ....

Pages:
Jump to: